Other Amps

cool old Gibson

Yeah, early '60s. By '65 there was a different cabinet style. These were essentially two 15 watt amps, only one side had the reverb and trem, if memory serves. Real rarities.

The Watkins Dominator! At 17 watts, these were once the most powerful guitar amps in England! So who inspired whom?

The Watkins Dominator! At 17 watts, these were once the most powerful guitar amps in England! So who inspired whom?

– Billy Zoom

These weren't stereo, tho, or with reverb. Still, they had a really wide dispersion with two speakers, and looked pretty cool as well.

– Billy Zoom

Dang so they beat out the AC-15 which might have been the big gun for Vox(?) First Vox amps 1957?

These look super cool

I used to have a blue Watkins Westminster in that same v-front cab. I think they were rarer...I believe the Westminster was only made in that cab for about 6 months or so.

I'm sure most of you saw this but while on the subject see Darrel Higham's, he has one -

I bought a Watkins Westminster earlier this year and couldn't be happier with it. Mine is a mid 1960s example but wired point to point rather than on a PCB.

Although UK amp collectors go nuts for early Vox and Marshall, I think the better Watkins/WEM amps more than hold their own at a fraction of the price.

As for who inspired who, it could be argued that Vox and Watkins took more from Gibson amp designs that just the cabinets.

– Billy Zoom

They look so cool, I remember lusting after the one in the window of Honky Tonk Music.

Watkins Dominator! My friend Pete Bennett from London punk collective Monkey Island use to have one at a gig we played together... sounded amazing. Instant Kinks-ness.

That Gibson isn't bad either though...

Gibson amps from one of my from early 60's brochures

Been on the hunt for a GA79rvt for awhile. There were 4 or so on Reverb just a couple weeks ago, they're down to one now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation