Other Amps

Considering a Vox amp…

Southeast OHIO?! That's the land of my birth. Whereabouts?

Ah, I see. Marietta. Many's the gig, many's the time. Used to (remotely) manage the combo department of a music store there. If we're talkin' all good ol' boys, I may know the Tele offenders...

Southeast OHIO?! That's the land of my birth. Whereabouts?

Ah, I see. Marietta. Many's the gig, many's the time. Used to (remotely) manage the combo department of a music store there. If we're talkin' all good ol' boys, I may know the Tele offenders...

– Proteus

Really? Wow, small world.

Which music store? I took lessons at Coffman's Music, on Second Street, when I was a kid. Bruce DeMoll was my teacher....great guy. We had two or three music stores, at one time, but now are down to just one.

There are two examples that come to mind of bands with three guitars that sound great --- even when they played loud: Buffalo Springfield and Moby Grape. Close listening to their recordings will reveal how the parts were distinct and orchestrated to be different. in the case of the Grape, Peter Lewis played mostly in a finger-picking style, Skip Spence played crisp rhythm, and Jerry Miller played slightly overdriven jazz-inflected lines on a Gibson L-5. You could always hear what each player was doing and how their parts fit with the other two.

Tone has as much to do with it as volume. As Proteus said, with two Teles in the mix, it's important that they not be playing similar parts with similar tones. And volume needs to always suit the room, if any detail of parts is to be heard by the audience or other bandmembers.

Yup, Coffman Music. I remember Bruce. Did you know Jerry? He's in Athens now...

Yup, Coffman Music. I remember Bruce. Did you know Jerry? He's in Athens now...

– Proteus

I do remember Jerry...he was the young guy when I was taking lessons there. He sold me my Guild Ashbury bass....which I still have. Bruce passed away late last year at 86. Took lessons from him for 3 years. Lots of good memories in that store.

I was more or less Jerry's boss; I usually worked in the Lancaster store. Came down for demos, promos, clinics. Remember Guitar Stud Contest?

My band played all over that area, too. But we sucked and no one liked us.

I was more or less Jerry's boss; I usually worked in the Lancaster store. Came down for demos, promos, clinics. Remember Guitar Stud Contest?

My band played all over that area, too. But we sucked and no one liked us.

– Proteus

Yeah, I'd forgotten all about the Lancaster store. Guitar Stud....lol....I vaguely remember that. I remember the one lady who worked there got caught embezzling a bunch of money from them. Not sure if that's why they finally went under, but I'm sure it didn't help.

What was your band's name? I may have heard of them. There were actually venues to play at, back then....now, I think there are only about three. Used to be dozens of them back in the day.

I remember the one lady who worked there got caught embezzling a bunch of money from them.

Huh huh! Yes, the manager of the Marietta store. The operation was doomed in many ways; that was only one of them.

The band was Easy Nights. Like 77-82 or so.

Well, been playing on the AC15 for a few minutes, now. You guys weren’t kidding, it is loud! It’s loud, but also nice and clear....which I was hoping for. I can’t wait to try this at our next gig. More importantly than just “cutting through”, I think it will be a good sound to compliment the other guitar sounds. An AC30 would have worked, but probably would’ve been overkill for what I needed. Thanks everyone!

I remember the one lady who worked there got caught embezzling a bunch of money from them.

Huh huh! Yes, the manager of the Marietta store. The operation was doomed in many ways; that was only one of them.

The band was Easy Nights. Like 77-82 or so.

– Proteus

The name doesn’t ring a bell, but I will ask my musician friends and my mom....they hit all of the spots during that timeframe. Too cool...never thought I’d run into anyone who even knew where Marietta was, much less be a part of the music scene back in the day. Again, small world!

Fenders and Gretsches tend to be good at cutting through the mix. When I find myself in the situation where I have to compete with multiple 'cutting' guitars, I prefer my humbucker Les Paul. A humbucker Les Paul tends to fill the mix rather than cutting through it.

Wow, somebody was skimming Tom’s money? I’d like to have been a fly on the wall for THAT revelation. I bet Tom gave birth.

I bet Tom gave birth.

Every afternoon at 3pm, like clockwork.

I was in a six-piece band. Any time there was a solo, all of the other guys would dig in and play their instruments as loud and as hard as they could. I tried explaining why that doesn't work so well, but I was labeled a "troublemaker".

I was in a six-piece band. Any time there was a solo, all of the other guys would dig in and play their instruments as loud and as hard as they could. I tried explaining why that doesn't work so well, but I was labeled a "troublemaker".

– JBGretschGuy

Been there, done that. I was in a rock band, playing a Les Paul Standard through a Twin Reverb with the amp volume on “5”, and it still wasn’t loud enough. They told me I just needed to turn up the gain on my distortion pedal! I said yeah, but then nobody will hear what notes I’m even playing. The bass player said I’d think it would be good, because then nobody will know when you f**k up.

That was the last rock band I ever played in, and that was 10 years ago.

I bet Tom gave birth.

Every afternoon at 3pm, like clockwork.

– Proteus

• 1 on the preamp idea. Atomic brain with abby for boost is a very practical pedal, especially if you're playing the tv classics, to get the cut through. An eq can be a beautiful thing too.

I got an AC15c1 and wasn't very thrilled with it. I love the Vox sound, clean or mean, but it might be good to pay more for a hand wired one. I sold the c1, don't miss it.

– JBGretschGuy

From your description JB, that group sounds like it was just a collection of noise-makers, not a 'band' , "...as we know the meaning of the word."

Register Sign in to join the conversation