Other Amps

clean Vibro Champ — about to cave

Well I have talked a lot of trash on 8s.... "8's should be illegal" is my best know slight. And we have stuffed plenty of 10s into amps w/ 8's, including cool Vox Pathfinder, tube and solid state ones

But now with old age comes a least a little wisdom, and so have decided 8's will be ok for our lo-volume, unamplified rehearsals of Timid Folk Music where I am the only electric instrument.

So a clean w/ original footswitch Vibro Champ has turned up... mid 70s silver panel. Might go for it w/ a Holy Grail Nano setting on top. May experiment w/ better 8's for a bit more lo-end but not expecting much. I always use them Bass 10, Treble 0... but silver panel tone controls don't have a lot of range anyway.

I liked the one I had, but was glad when I got back to a Princeton Reverb.

I'm pretty sure you need a Kustom PA for the Timid Folk Music. At least two of the tall cabs with 2 15s and that big honkin' 15" 1970-football-field-announcer horn. Two of the 200-watt heads ought to do you.

If you wanted to be patriotic, you could use red, blue, AND white sparkle components.

They will never forget you.

I had a Vibro champ. Great amps, but still Champ-y. I do love my Princeton a Ton.

I had a Vibro champ. Great amps, but still Champ-y. I do love my Princeton a Ton.

I used my Vibrochamp to test a one tube spring reverb I was building. With a Jensen C10 installed too, it was very much a mini Princeton Reverb.

During testing I removed the vibrato tube so as not to over stress the power transformer. Anyway, the reverb was destined for my Bell & Howell conversion, but I'm tempted to build another for my Vibrochamp.

I'm pretty sure you need a Kustom PA for the Timid Folk Music. At least two of the tall cabs with 2 15s and that big honkin' 15" 1970-football-field-announcer horn. Two of the 200-watt heads ought to do you.

If you wanted to be patriotic, you could use red, blue, AND white sparkle components.

They will never forget you.

– Proteus

Timid Folk Music group has a PA that is total overkill and ticks me off.

I think Creedence had a Monster Kustom PA back in their 1970 heyday.

I say back to speaker columns.

I'd probably seek out a Magnatone 410 for the same money on the vintage market. You get a 12" speaker....and a tweeter you can use or disconnect...and better vibrato.

I did have a 410 until a year ago -- and they are something cool.

The 12 helps but really 6 w just isn't enough to make any lo-end, so I just accept that now. I had a Vibro Champ going thru a 12 also. Done lots of experimenting. For these lo-volume rehearsals I guess I can live with an 8 .

I just want something smaller than a 410 Actually with a better speaker this Gretsch Gadabout has potential.

The VibroChamp was gone anyway.

Are you open to boutique builders? Jer DeLisle is a supreme amp builder and will build you a much better version than Fender puts out, designed for you.

ps. this is an unsolicited offer, but he does build my chassis's and cabs. He is a tone czar of amp circuits. I wont mention the Raygun'59 I make. :)

Well Powdog is making me a Champ size 10 watter w/ reverb!! So I am stoked. This is for gigs at the volume I do. At this point really prefer Boss trem over Fender -- blasphemy, I know.

Also at this very moment I am ordering a Celetion 8 ohm 8" for the Gretsch Gadabout. If it affects the sound as I am hoping, this primitive 1965 solid state effort may be good enough for rehearsals. Maybe I should troll for the Safari which has trem.

But God bless boutique builders --

People forget the Champ was just a little student amp -- cut corners, just get it out there for a price. Tweaked up Supros in that range also just as good. Better speakers have a lot to do with the sound.

Selling off the original Jensen C8R in this Gadabout now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation