Other Amps

Vibroverb clone update: got the amp now to pair with a JBL D130F

Hi Windsordave ,

stumbled upon this thread in a google search on jbls. Please let us know how it all turned out

Dave,

Can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I've now got all the presents pieces to build mine as well. BR head, Super Reverb cab, and a 15" Weber California speaker. I hope this will be my late summer project this year!

Well guys, I haven't done a thing towards getting the custom cab built and everything installed as I need to wait on the final costs for my Fleetwood restoration, which won't be inexpensive! Once that's behind me I can get on with the amp project. I haven't forgot, just haven't done anything yet. Pics and reviews when I do get it done though! Thanks.

I am really looking forward to bringing this to life just that it isn't my first priority, and I do have other great amps I'm using.

jalexanderdixon - keen to hear about your build and choice of speaker

Windsordave - you always have a tasty project o foot. look forward to the vibroverb

In general, my choices are driven by frugality! So far I've spent $400 on a 1968 bandmaster reverb. $100 on a weber California speaker. $100 on an empty super reverb cab. I'll build a new baffle myself. These are Canadian figures which translate to about $450US total.

I wanted a jbl as well, but couldn't find one at a good price. I have heard good things about the weber and when I saw one at a low price, I jumped. Will report back on sound when it's all done.

FWIW, I made a '76 BMR into a Vibroclone about 20 years ago. I used an 8 ohm JBL D130 (not a D130F) and loaded it in a Twin Reverb cabinet covered in brown naugahyde I got cheap. Put pine block spacers at the sides of the chassis to fill the space. Even with the small stock transformer and speaker mismatch it was loud enough to play with a drummer and stay generally clean. I sold it to a band mate whom I believe still has it.

Maybe it's something in the air, but I was living in Montreal when I built mine. Is it a Canadian thing, perhaps?

Don't think it's necessarily so Mel. There's a guy in Oregon IIRC who looks for BMR's and D130F's and makes '64 Vibroverb clones just to sell. I believe his price is $2500+/- .

As I mentioned, clean is all I want and the 15" speaker gives a nice rich tone. I know what you mean about power as this amp is the same output as my '66 Pro Reverb and cranked up could take down a wall! Once I do get the project complete it'll be interesting to A/B it against my Executive with the Eminence Legend speaker.

Good point, Dave. I took the mentality back to the States with me; for years I had a 15" in my Twin Reverb and I had my brownface Showman in a 15" combo for years before getting a proper tone-ring cab.

An A/B test against the Executive will definitely be interesting. I've only played through an Exec a few times, and to me at least, the voicing seems different than a black/silver face Fender. The primary problem you may find from such a test is that you'll want to bring both to gigs!

Or you could just put the D-130F in the Executive.

I like Don's suggestion. A 15 comparison.

Well there is that Don, but I do have the BMR! It's not just a comparison of speakers in the same amp I want to A/B but amp to amp, each with it's own speaker.

To Mel's point regarding the different voicing, I can attest to that. My Super Chet (original Ray Butt's pups made personally by Ray) through the '66 Pro Reverb requires turning the bass almost down to 0, it's so predominant. Through the Exec, there's far less bass presence and overall it's a tad more mellow and delivers a very smooth sound. Having the mid/presence control the Fenders don't, is nice for shaping the tone. The PR, despite only having 40 watts, can easily behave like a tom cat lookin' for a fight! I have a '71 Vibrolux Reverb (at 35 watts) and it's similar to the PR but without the big bass presence. And it doesn't give the impression it wants to beat someone up either.....it's very pleasant and polite you might say. Overall, the Fenders while very versatile for any style, are really suited to rockin' out whereas the Exec doesn't have the 'hey look at me' personality and both are extremely clean.

FWIW, what sounds better through both Fenders for my fingerstyle playing is my '98 Gibson Country Gent. It actually sounds more like a Gretsch through the Fenders than through the Exec.

Guitar, amp, speakers = a bunch of hype. Find the sound you like and stick with it.

Guitar, amp, speakers = a bunch of hype. Find the sound you like and stick with it.

– Pt

If that what you want - then good for you. Each to their own.

And I appreciate your advice. It's sound advice that you spend more time playing and less time frkn around with sound if you want to be a great player. I know players like James Burton don't pay much attention to the nuances of their equipment and they always manage to sound great.

but I'm just as happy pulling things apart, putting them back together and comparing the sounds that come out of them as i am playing music. It just fascinates me. And I love that there is a forum where I can share these experiences with ppl of a like mind

Kudos for a considered response. You do you, amigo.

If you can't find a D130F but find a D140F you can recone a D140F with a D130F cone and it will be a D130, the frame and magnet is the same on both speakers.

If that what you want - then good for you. Each to their own.

And I appreciate your advice. It's sound advice that you spend more time playing and less time frkn around with sound if you want to be a great player. I know players like James Burton don't pay much attention to the nuances of their equipment and they always manage to sound great.

but I'm just as happy pulling things apart, putting them back together and comparing the sounds that come out of them as i am playing music. It just fascinates me. And I love that there is a forum where I can share these experiences with ppl of a like mind

– eCastro

You've captured the essence of this thread I started that's been rejuvenated a bit and I thank you. We don't need to be preached to as to what we should do or think simply because some questions were asked [by me] and politely answered. Great answers to the variety of cabinet design choices available based on what my needs are, are interesting reading at the very least.

I learned what I needed to know regarding cabinets for the sound I wanted based on my playing style and I thank all who offered advice. Comparing different amps and sounds is just a fun thing to do and those of us who have this interest don't deserve the vitriol of someone who doesn't share this interest.

Thanks Spike and WindsorDave. It should not surprise anyone that the contents of a post on a gear forum may contain detailed comparisons of bits-o- gear,,,

I can't wait for the update. Lookn for a 15 myself

Finally completed my build. 1968 drip edge BMR + super reverb cab + 15" Weber California with aluminum cap. In short, just what I was looking for.

The closed back 2x12 bandmaster cab is pretty boomy. An open back cab with two 60s 12" Jensen is punchier. The open back 15" is a happy medium. Really easy to dial in the thumpy bass I craved. The impedance mismatch means I'm playing at 4.5 instead of 3.5, but that's fine by me.

Plus if I put the amp in the speaker cab, I can line it up with my matching Super Reverb for a stereo assault!

Sounds like you've got a winner there Jason! Glad to hear your 15" is happy in that SR cab....room to stretch out as it were!

Still waiting to do my project.....funds are dedicated elsewhere for now.

Bet it sounds great, jalexander. A 15 is really nice with a bf amp

Bet it sounds great, jalexander. A 15 is really nice with a bf amp

– eCastro

Jason's amp is a Silverface, Blackfaces didn't come with reverb. The drip edge is also another SF feature. Another SF feature was a mid control. My BMR is after the drip edge but prior to the Master Volume feature. SF's are cheaper too

Jason's amp is a Silverface, Blackfaces didn't come with reverb. The drip edge is also another SF feature. Another SF feature was a mid control. My BMR is after the drip edge but prior to the Master Volume feature. SF's are cheaper too

– Windsordave

This is true. In fact, the BMR was an all new model, and the first one released, for the SF line. That said, it's a Pro Reverb in head format. I'm curious, then as the drip edges tend to be a blackface in silver cosmetics, how similar my amp is to a BF Pro Reverb. I intend to get the amp blackfaced by a technician.

Jason, I have a BF PR and it doesn't have the mid control, so there is that difference between the two. The SF also has a tube rectifier and of course the reverb.

– Windsordave

Yes. Just a lazy post. I have a 69 non reverb Princeton Amp and a 70s quadverb in a 68 sf pro reverb cab

Register Sign in to join the conversation