Other Amps

Building a A0-44 based Peewee

Did you try a SS rectifier?

You mean to get more voltage out of the power supply? I actually use put use an SS recitifier in all my builds as I generally go for cleans. I'm not looking for power supply sag. I haven't revisited it yet. i've been caught up in this old red country club I foolishly bought.

The last amp I built used a pole pig xmr and the 3-500z tubes. Output was around 2700 watts with 100 watts of input drive. I have never tried audio circuits. Just rf.

You mean to get more voltage out of the power supply? I actually use put use an SS recitifier in all my builds as I generally go for cleans. I'm not looking for power supply sag. I haven't revisited it yet. i've been caught up in this old red country club I foolishly bought.

– Toxophilite

I thought when you turned it up you were getting too much compression (with the EZ81). A SS recto might help with that.

It could've been It was ^%$&^%&^ loud! i might still try it at rehearsal for kicks to see how it holds up

I built one of these for a buddy. He plays it thru a 4x12 JBL cab and its loud as heck. It’s his #1 amp now.

Yikes I hope he never has to move tat 4 x 12 JBL cab I LOVE JBLs but HEAVY! Whew! I have a couple of D123s in a pair of my deluxes

We used to load it into the trunk of his ‘68 Cougar when we gigged. The wheel wells would drag when he hit a bump.

Haven’t thought about that in 30 years. Thanks for the brain tickle!

The Mini and the behemoth.

The Mini atop a more manageable Cherry 2x12 cab. Vin30 on top and a ceramic Tone Tubby hempcone on the bottom.

Nice Nothing like natural flame. It looks like the head is on fire! Look at all those lovely sounding JBLS!

Built this out of it, but without the bright switch and currently a 1.5K resistor to ground for the mid control. Works great as an echo amp accompanying one of my vibrolux builds.

Using like this with a roland space echo. Stereo tape echo sounds huge and dreamy. This way when the echo is turned off there is still a wider two amp sound. The main amp is all dry (with reverb and trem). The echo amp is mostly echo with a bout 1/2 the amount of dry sound.

here's the funny little beast, installed inside a test 10" speaker cab built out of an old reel to reel cabinet and a bit of electrohome organ baffle 14" x 14" x 7" and 13 lbs. Has a fender/Emminence 30 watt $20 10" speaker in it. With my 37 lbs vibrolux this puts me at 50lbs of amps enough clean headroom for a drummer and A BIG sound. Not bad!

Here's the back. It has a parallel 1/4" jack in the back so I can plug in my mini leslie (8 ohms) too for more creamy fun. I was going to go SS rectification but I'd have to recap the power supply as they're mostly 350 with one being at 400. The SS brings it up about 20-30 volts B+. I might do it in the future as cooler operation and a bit more headroom would be a good thing. These amps are LOUD!! The side of the cab has a screened vent

One 2-6BQ5 AO amp was from the A-100 console .. another decent chassis is the 2 6BQ5 reverb amp in the 122 and 147 Leslies. Rumor has it the very first Dr.Z prototype was built on an AO chassis.

Lot's of good Hammond amps for sure. I've built 3 deluxes (2 reverb one a channel 'echo amp') on an AO-43 platform which is an excellent tube amp starter kit. It has a deluxe reverb style OT a very hefty PT and the appropriately sized choke, you can even reuse the hammond cone boards. One of te Ao-43 deluxe reverbs I converted to a vibrolux with a 6L6GCs and a larger OT and it's holding up well so far. I also built a vibrolux on a AO-29 chassis which has a bigger PT but I didn't use anything else but the PT and the chassis. as a deluxe style OT a very hefty PT and the appropriately sized choke, you can even reuse the hammond cone boards oh OT= output trasformer PT = power transformer

Great iron on those old organ amps.

rumour is right I believe the early Carmen Ghias (amps not cars haha) were built on Hammond chassis.

Mini Leslie? Made from one of the 8" or 12" foam rotor units you'd find in spinets?

1 from a Baldwin Nice sounding 2 speed unit. Cool because the speaker itself is rotating and isn't just a speaker blowing into a rotating baffle, better top end.

From a Yamaha Electone(tonnes of these around for FREE, strange and wonderful square Yamaha speaker. I believe their leslie amps used by David Gilmour(???) used the exact same units. i put it inside the cage as it is mounted o an arm that has a heavy square metal counterweight that could double as a finger remover at the fast speed. Also a two speed unit.. i use them as extension speakers not the full sound so they really end up being 1/4-1/3 of my sound which makes the effect less heavy. I have it running on slow all the time, use the fast speed for nutty effect.

Thanks! Those Yamaha organs had that weird 3'X4' foam primary speaker. I'd forgotten about the small ones. If you think yours are odd, check out the Wurlitzer version.

Oh Yeah I've seen the Wurlitzers I think. Isn't that the tiny speakers in a can on the end of a long arm? Another finger smasher! I had one of those HUGE ear shaped yamaha speakers. Very cool, as big as my super reverb, but only 25 watts! I thought briefly of making something out of it for the novelty factory but quickly realized it was a little large for it's power handling.

Register Sign in to join the conversation