Other Amps

Blonde Bassman

Hey guys.Probably a can of worms but here goes. A friend may have access to a Blonde Bassman with cab(non original speakers)The owner says it’s 1964 and assumes it’s original inside and says give him market price ... what is the ballpark fair deal to make them both happy ?Let er rip !!!

Well '64 was the absolute tail end of the blonde covered ones.. early '64... probably had a black panel chassis. Just that transitional scene that is pretty well documented now. Cosmetic condtion counts for a lot... electronics can be fixed. But still there's a range from trashed to top notch. Pix really helps.

Apparently it has a brown faceplate so maybe a 1963?I’m waiting on pix but so far none.

Apparently it has a brown faceplate so maybe a 1963?I’m waiting on pix but so far none.

– GaryE

if it has the original SCHUMACHER OT and PT(w proper codes) and you are getting both the head and cab. $2000 is fair as a player condition amp. $3000 in collector condition w original speakers. If it has not had a cap job in the last 15yrs remember that you will have to have this done for the amp to sound anything like its supposed to. If the OT is not original, it is 95% a blackface replacement and thus the filtercaps will be incorrect for a 6G6-B as well. The only company making a clone blonde 6G6-B production Output transformer is Mercury Magnetics. I dont think this company is the be all but it is THE only one producing the right component. Heyboer will build you a custom one at a much greater cost.

Thanks for that. I will pass that valuable info along.

2k sounds about right - its what I was asking for my '63 player cosmetics but all original serviced head and changed speaker cab.

Im considering parting with mine as well. Beautiful rig but just too big, too much. I have two cabs, one has the original JBL D131's, the other has a pair of Celestion G12h's dated 71 and 72. Also throwing in a Weber Z Matcher as the cabs are 4 and 8 ohms. Also have the original head cover and one cab cover. Not willing to ship this beast, you'd have to be near Reno or Sac.

oh no, I hope you dont run the 8ohm cab into the bassman head. The Output transformer can handle 4ohm or 2ohm but not 8ohm. This is the reason why so many vintage bassmans no longer have their original Schumacher output transformer and have replacement OT's that are generic blackface and stiff filter cap jobs. Love your blonde!:) I want to drive to Reno right now. I've always wanted a bassman cab w the D120'sIf you have dual 15's in there (D130/D130F) thats a blonde showman cab I believe.

oh no, I hope you dont run the 8ohm cab into the bassman head. The Output transformer can handle 4ohm or 2ohm but not 8ohm. This is the reason why so many vintage bassmans no longer have their original Schumacher output transformer and have replacement OT's that are generic blackface and stiff filter cap jobs. Love your blonde!:) I want to drive to Reno right now. I've always wanted a bassman cab w the D120'sIf you have dual 15's in there (D130/D130F) thats a blonde showman cab I believe.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

The Weber Z Matcher corrects the impedance mismatch. They are both 2-12" Bassman Cabs, the 131's being the predecessor to the 120's

Register Sign in to join the conversation