Other Amps

Blonde Bassman Head and Cab

Originally placed this in the wrong folder by accident.

Well saw this at Guitar Center in Pasadena (CA) the other day. What a beauty. Not sure about the price though but take a look at this

Depends on if it is serviced or not. A complete refresh of a Bassman head by a good tech will be a cost factor.

That's pretty fairly priced, especially for a retail shop.

That's pretty fairly priced, especially for a retail shop.

– spike

Agreed.

That’s about what I paid for the last one I bought.

Those are great amps but man can be a PIA as far as gigging regularly. They weigh a ton and are ridiculously loud. 2K is a decent price for sure. Make sure you own a handtruck...

Those big dinosaur amps are losing favor fast. You can by old Super Reverbs and Twin Reverbs for $700-900 all day around here. But Princetons and Deluxes are 3X that amount.

No one gets to play that loud at bar gigs any more. And even Brian Setzer is wearing ear plugs while he plays through his Bassmans

I like big amps. I think bassmans sound good at low volume . Small amps just don’t sound the same to me.

I take my Princeton out sometimes but it just doesn’t feel or sound the same as the larger amps.

Thinking of putting my tremolux into a 1 x 12.

I remember 25 years at ago at least where I was Super Reverbs were the hot model. Now no one wants to carry those boat anchors around any more and that includes other great 70s amps like some Ampeg combos that were just as heavy. I posted a few months back about if there was still any luv for Twin Reverbs.

Those are great amps but man can be a PIA as far as gigging regularly. They weigh a ton and are ridiculously loud. 2K is a decent price for sure. Make sure you own a handtruck...

– Gasmoney

Indeed! I put these on my cab:

And then eventually I bought my Supro Coronado (which is now my main gigging amp), so the Bassman is reserved for the huuuuge stages (IE, not too often, LOL) and studio sessions, if the studio's big enough to handle it.

It's still my favourite amp, though!

Anders

A Harbor Freight furniture dolly does great and doesn't alter a vintage amp.

A Harbor Freight furniture dolly does great and doesn't alter a vintage amp.

– JBGretschGuy

...and can be used for more than hauling just one amp. Far more useful.

Those big dinosaur amps are losing favor fast. You can by old Super Reverbs and Twin Reverbs for $700-900 all day around here. But Princetons and Deluxes are 3X that amount.

No one gets to play that loud at bar gigs any more. And even Brian Setzer is wearing ear plugs while he plays through his Bassmans

– JBGretschGuy

Why do you associate a blonde bassman w loud? w the tungsol reissue 5881 your lucky to get 45watts at full tilt.. W/ the amp running at 3 on the volume, bass on 4, treble on 5, presence dimed and a good preamp in front, its more controllable and toneful than any horrible sucked out mids black face amp. Run a plastic shield on it and you;ve got all the tone and level you need while never being as loud as the dude w a black face 1x12 amp shootings shards of thin bright horror in all directions .

ps. remember Setzer wears filters because of tinnitus, not ear plugs, there's a big difference there.

Because it IS loud Tavo. Big iron, solid state rectifier and a closed back 2X12 cab make it a killer amp for biggger stages, but if you want natural breakup without having to use pedals for that, it's loud for the average size club these days.

Because it IS loud Tavo. Big iron, solid state rectifier and a closed back 2X12 cab make it a killer amp for biggger stages, but if you want natural breakup without having to use pedals for that, it's loud for the average size club these days.

– WB

yeah if you were after an overdriven power amp this would be loud.

But I don’t use it for that purpose and to me it is an amp that sounds good at all volumes, it’s never that clean and just has all the right harmonic overtones.

I’ve got a 66 super reverb and it is not as nice at low volume. But man it sounds great once it hits 4. The SR is also more friendly with a greater range o pedals

Why do you associate a blonde bassman w loud? w the tungsol reissue 5881 your lucky to get 45watts at full tilt.. W/ the amp running at 3 on the volume, bass on 4, treble on 5, presence dimed and a good preamp in front, its more controllable and toneful than any horrible sucked out mids black face amp. Run a plastic shield on it and you;ve got all the tone and level you need while never being as loud as the dude w a black face 1x12 amp shootings shards of thin bright horror in all directions .

ps. remember Setzer wears filters because of tinnitus, not ear plugs, there's a big difference there.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

I reckon he's got tinnitus because he played that awf'lly loud Bassman for all those years, no...?

(My tinnitus came after being in a blues band with a harp player who used a 410 Bassman, directed right towards me during ONE long day of rehearsing. The hiss/beep that usually died half an hour after the end of the gig/session/whatever, decided to stay.)

Anders

I wish I could get this custom cabinet over to you. I am going to stick the 62 Tremolux head back into it's original head unit.

This combo cab (ie 61-63 Vibrolux) was made to original Fender spec by a guy in Florida who has since died. I love it but it doesn't work in terms of space now that I am back in London. So I need some Vox or Orange extension cab thing instead.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

I can't think of a single stage within 50 miles of home where I would be welcomed with a Blonde Bassman rig. They beam like a flashlight, and sound men hate them. Since they are closed back, they sound reasonable on stage, but out front they are killing people.

At most of the gigs in Illinois, they ask you to turn down a 15 watt amp. Princeton Reverbs rule the roost for club gigs.

I wish I could get this custom cabinet over to you. I am going to stick the 62 Tremolux head back into it's original head unit.

This combo cab (ie 61-63 Vibrolux) was made to original Fender spec by a guy in Florida who has since died. I love it but it doesn't work in terms of space now that I am back in London. So I need some Vox or Orange extension cab thing instead.

– knavel

Thanks Knavel. But yes shipping would be equal to the build. I actually got the idea of doing this off you.

Ive currently got it running 6v6s (so 8ohms) into a single 12 with a 60s silver Celestion Alnico. Sounds great. Thought if in a combo cab i could always change to 6l6s and add another single 12 extension for a 4 ohm load for the bigger venues (that i never play)

Yes. I wish I could get this across to you economically somehow :(

It will just come down to the fortune of finding the right person in the UK looking for the same brownface Tremolux to Vibrolux conversion set up since those amps were exactly the same during this time period.

– WB

Dont agree w you at all mate, unless you are deliberately trying to make it loud(which is does wonderfully but still not like a blackface beast).. Its how you use it and its set up. Big Iron doesnt necessarily mean a whole lot, the Gibson EH-185 is a 15watt amp w a small 1x12 cab but its Pt is MASSIVE compared to a bassman tranny, and it too has 2 6L6 power tubes.

I'm not talking out of my butt, as I've dragged a blonde bassman around for 20yrs. to small, medium and larger stages. Never had a problem save for the random sound guy who immediately passed judgement on the amp size, until I get it set up... but my amp is always no further away from me than 10ft and most often angled to my side, w a shield and set up not too different than how I have my mic monitor set up. So much more directional than the sonic spray of a combo amp bouncing down every direction.

How is there any difference from a stage wedge w a horn & 12" spkr, compared to a bassman 212 cab at an angle w a plexi gobo? Its not man. Especially w a pedal board and if you dont use a few preamps on a board, then there is no discussion here. :)

I do have to confess that for the last 2 months though I've been going to a chiro who's told me to stop carrying the 212 cab around, so I'm using the blondeshell w a closeback 1x12 cab on casters.Same amp though, till I die.

I like big amps. I think bassmans sound good at low volume . Small amps just don’t sound the same to me.

I take my Princeton out sometimes but it just doesn’t feel or sound the same as the larger amps.

– eCastro

eCastro, I have a brown repro cab for a 1x12 Tremolux head I am selling. PM me.

Thanks Jeff. I wish I lived in the US. Shipping is 150USD to Sydney

Oh - didn't know you were in Australia!

Register Sign in to join the conversation