Other Amps

Best Bedroom Amp?

I totally forgot about those G5222's - I always meant to get one but having the 6150 negated the actual need.

Glad it worked out....and FAST!! lol

Buddy, you're going to be a lot happier with the amp if you replace the speaker cloth and the speaker.

This story took a twisted turn right in the middle. The ending is just fantastic storytelling.

Buddy, you're going to be a lot happier with the amp if you replace the speaker cloth and the speaker.

– Don Birchett

I put a Weber speaker in the amp when I first got it, which I told Buddy. Gave him the original speaker as well.

Well there you go. Keepin' it Gretsch. I love a happy ending.

O.K. Guys, I need help here,

What is the Best 4X4 Diesel Truck for everyday Use??

( Well I figured if it worked for Buddy Mercury I might try it too.)

Never mind. I asked about the best van/wagon for my purposes a couple weeks ago and it didn’t work for me.

Definitely change the grillecloth on that 5222. Both versions of this amp have grille cloth that muffles the sound, but the 5222 is the worst of the two. It has that rubberized print that covers more than half of the speaker. While there's a historical reference to it, it isn't doing you any favors. I do like the tweed, tho.

My Fender Champ 600 suits me fine. I also have a small Behringer modelling amp that I use very occasionally.

My Fender Champ 600 suits me fine. I also have a small Behringer modelling amp that I use very occasionally.

Duster- Very cool of you to offer that! Pretty great group of folks we have here on the GDP..! Congrats, Buddy. Enjoy.
Hey, we are in the place of Brotherly Love, right..?!

oh, I'll have to check out some grill cloth! I'll find a nice fender brown.

Just adding this for anyone that may consider spending the money for a 5 watt tuber.

http://www.delisleguitar.co...

– roadjunkie

those are amazing, a little out of my price range, but someday!

Definitely change the grillecloth on that 5222. Both versions of this amp have grille cloth that muffles the sound, but the 5222 is the worst of the two. It has that rubberized print that covers more than half of the speaker. While there's a historical reference to it, it isn't doing you any favors. I do like the tweed, tho.

– wabash slim

because im me...as soon as i started looking for grill cloth I decided to make it a little project and customize it in black. ha!

those are amazing, a little out of my price range, but someday!

– Buddy Mercury

Yeah just a bit salty for a 5 watt but I paid more for my TopHat 4 watt Prince Royale and that was worth every penny. I imagine these could be the same across the board value. I know my King Baby is.

Great story!

I lacquered mine, and replaced the speaker with a Weber, and did the grill cloth, too. I don't use it all that much, but it is fun to mess around with every now and then.

The answer to this question has been the same for over 60 years...

The answer to this question has been the same for over 60 years...

– Afire

Amen brother.

I agree with "tweed champ," but I don't think "tweed champ" and "Gretsch 5222" are in the same price range... have you seen what these little amps are going for these days?

Case solved but the question of bedroom amp comes up all the time on various forums. I can play as loud as I want without any concern for family or neighbors complaining but the weird thing is since my hearing loss has progressed loud bothers me. So I have been playing a lot of these little amps like the HoTone (Vox DA5 since it first came out) and most recently my Man Purse the Vox Adio and they are all perfect as a "bedroom amp". I can't say that any of my tube amps (Ampeg 5 watt is the smallest) are really suited for that purpose. Not meant to be controversial but if you need low volumes one should really consider looking at a small modeler.

Tube amps aren't best for the bedroom. I vote for a Roland cube 30

Heathkit transceiver conversion to 1 watt guitar amp. Plenty of grind at low volume. Always thought these lunchbox amps were so cool.

I agree with "tweed champ," but I don't think "tweed champ" and "Gretsch 5222" are in the same price range... have you seen what these little amps are going for these days?

– reverb11

Agreed about the real deal, but kits can be had for under $500, sometimes even pre-built. And they're so simple I think every guitarist with even the slightest aptitude for handiness should at least build a tweed Champ once.

Register Sign in to join the conversation