Other Amps

BEST AMP to play a GRETSCH through?

in your opinion, what is the best sounding amp to play a Gretsch through and why? (specifically a White Falcon with DynaSonic pickups)
Ha. One of the great things about this forum is the variety in desired tones. There's a slew of people that love champs, pro jr's, blues jr's, Orange's, etc. etc. Now, me personally, I'd go with a Blues Jr. I love this amp very much and every time I play it I am just astounded by the awesome sounds that come from any Gretsch. In all honesty, I played a DSW through it, not a falcon with dyna's BUT I DID play a falcon with filters, so somewhere between these two guitars I'm sure it would sound great. They're on the cheap side too! Now I'm more than sure you're going to have tons and TONS of suggestions, so I'll let you get to them!
I play my 6120 with Dynas, through a Marshall Dual Super Lead (DSL) 100w with a 2 x12" cabinet and a THD hotplate attenuator -the best big fat clean sound I've heard on a Dyna Gretsch. Those particular Marshalls have two clean tones -one straight clean and a slightly dirtier clean, so I am in tone heaven!
I'd love to hear a sample...Git er Done
It all depends on taste and needs but I would love to try my Power Jet through a Marshall Blues Breaker combo.
Over the years I've gone through a truck load of amps trying to find "that sound", and I think I've finally found it. My Gretsch 6120 straight into a'59 Bassman. Depending on the situation I might run one of the Gibsons through a Vox AC30, maybe with a few effects, but to put me in tone heaven give me the 6120 straight into the Bassman. That makes me a happy guy.
I agree that the '59 Bassman is a good match for a Gretsch, particularly one with Dynas or HiLo's. It loves single-coils. Blisspop, it'd be a good choice to add some low-end beef to your Dyna-equipped Falcon. PapaDave, I'm assuming you're talking about the reissue. Do you have the LTD or the original reissue? I've had one of the reissues since '90 or '91 and it's served me very well.
I have only played orange at home; Rocker 30Combo and now a Tiny Terror with greenback closed cab; it is great with all the G's, and will be greater when the Vintage 30 cab arrives; total tonality. Tried the Blues Jr, Peavey Classic 30, Delta 30, Pro Jr at the store witha 512X and was unimpressed Edit; and 10 mins later I come back, and have to admit that my hearing is conservative in the sense that I get used to a sound or timbre and maybe this has something to do with it. As these are mostly well regarded.
Blisspop-I have always had excellent sonic luck with my DeArmond-equipped guitars (Country Clubs & Duo Jet) through a blackface Bassman, usually running a 2x12 cabinet. DeArmonds also sound great through old Ampeg amps, especially a Reverberocket. Honorable mention to my 50s Carvin amps (a '59 812A, and a '57 666 model)-which sound amazing with DeArmonds and Filtertrons, and my THD BiValve head (running 6L6 power tubes). I never had good luck with the reissue Bassmans. I owned one & used it on one gig with a 50s DeArmond-equipped Country Club & it did not deliver the goods, so I sold it. IMO, reissue Bassmans do not marry well with Filter-trons either, and tend to produce a nasal tone (Lou Reed's tone on the first Velvet Underground recording comes to mind) that I do not find pleasant. My 6120 & 6119 through a THD BiValve with a good set of 6V6s produces the Neil Young "Ohio" tone that I always think of when I think of great Gretsch tone. That's my 2 cents.

Hobie said: Edit; and 10 mins later I come back, and have to admit that my hearing is conservative in the sense that I get used to a sound or timbre and maybe this has something to do with it. As these are mostly well regarded.

While I don't have anything as awesome as your TT I did notice that my Crush 15R is considerably more dark than the Blues Jr so maybe that's the change that threw you off?
Either Fender Bassman, sounds gorgeous with any hollow, especially for the jazzy stuff. And you cant go wrong with a Fender Twin. Seem as Fender has taken control of Gretsch, perhaps they could bundle either of these amps with the guitars, itd make for a nice 'beginners bundle' :grin:
Mr. ETrain, my Bassman is the LTD, got it in '05 and love it. Like jfume said, it can sound a bit nasal but noodling around with it some can work that right out.
I play a White Falcon with filtertrons thru a Fender Blues Jr., and I like the sound just fine.
BASSMAN! I play a 5126 with Dearmonds. Just got the Bassman. Tone baby! I can not believe i waited this long to get one. It is the perfect amp for me. I got mine used and it is dirty and was neglected. Gonna do the orange shellac thing and re-tube it and treat it like the tone-king it is. GJ
My advice actually combines most of these answers, I say a Fender Bassman Blonde era with solid state Rec for more immediate attack. (It really makes them Quack, if you know what I mean.) I can tell you that finding one in the condition ready for gigging was causing me heartburn and then I found this: http://www.gomezamps.com/el-sonido.html And bought it, and sold a 1 x 15 Vibroverb and my TWEED LTD Bassman IMMEDIATELY. It is the greatest amp I've ever had and has some great future. It is basically a NOS Fender Blonde Bassman. YOu won't find a MINT used orginial for this price and it covers all genres. SEE MY PIX: It kills with Gretsch, Fenders (Teles twang like mad!!!!) And Crunchy Gibson Humbuckers!!! I want a second for spare it is that good.
Photobucket Take your pick!! Actually, the most beautiful (clean) tone I have ever heard come out of any guitar is my Dyna Falcon split through my Super Reverb and Reverberocket. It really IS all that!! It sounds incredible through either one of those amps alone as well. OK OK it sounds awesome through anything really, but those two are my favorites.
I'm in serious like with Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers. I don't really care if it is a hand wired PTP or a modern reissue. I really like these amps!
otterbean said: I'm in serious like with Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers. I don't really care if it is a hand wired PTP or a modern reissue. I really like these amps!
My '65 TRRI does a great job. It stays clean for days and can even stand up to the abuse dished out by the Dynas in my Duo Jet and still stay clean.
I play every guitar I own through my 1962 white Tolex Bassman. I bought it years ago and never found anything that sounds better. I did look because I hate having to drag it up three flights of stairs after a gig and then having to go down again and get the speakers (home made cabinet with two celestion vintage 30's) and then run down again and bring my guitars up. Try to fall asleep after that with your heart pounding like an idiot. And I also miss the reverb. That is why I have been thinking about getting a blackface deluxe (maybe even a reissue) but my bassman is just too beautiful. And I bought a holy grail reverb which does the job. At home I play my gretsches through my 1959 tweed champ. lovely amp specially for recording too.
I think Gretsches sound good through most Fender tweed circuits. You also can't go wrong with early Bassmans. Really depends on what tones do it for you. Vintage Bassmans can still be found in mint condition. Or, as Diggey points out, there are aftermarket alternatives that are just as good. Here's my '64 blonde.
Guitarfarm, that photo should be on a calender. JUst very.......
Can't wait to play my Nashville through a tweed Bassman.... Have tried a few different Fender amps...My favorite is anything with 2/12s (Fender Twin reverb and the like)... My personal amp is a VOX AC-30 TB.... It sounds amazing...I do have a 5129 with Single coils and it sounds pretty amazing too.
has anyone mentioned the AC-15 yet? if not, then you're all wrong! unless you said something like an AC-30, or a Matchless DC-30, or a Dr. Z Stangray, or some other similar Vox / Vox-esque amp. take a big ol' midrangey hollowbody (the White Falcon), stick on some big ol' midrangey single-coils (Dyna'Sonics), and run 'em through a big ol' midrangey amp (a Vox), and it's pure big ol' midrangey heaven!
Hey WishinforanotherFalcom, you rig is sweet too so I up you also. Both you and guitarfarm's rigs could be calender material. maybe I'll start another thread for Gretsch Calender shots.......

Register Sign in to join the conversation