Other Amps

Bandmaster report

I had sort of thought piggyback black panel Bandmasters were sort of at the lo-end of the black panel pecking order, etc.

But someone just shelled out over $1600 for this one, so... I guess condition is everything

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...

Mmm,interesting.....I just picked up a ‘65 Showman for $725 yesterday.Pretty clean and sounded really great.Took it by my amp tech and left it with him to go over and get a thorough check.Already have a 212 cab so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I had sort of thought piggyback black panel Bandmasters were sort of at the lo-end of the black panel pecking order, etc.

But someone just shelled out over $1600 for this one, so... I guess condition is everything

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...

– DCBirdMan

It's already sold on Bay!

Why would anybody pay that kind of money for a Bandmaster head? I had a '65 Bandmaster head back in the early 90s, and it had to be the wimpiest amp I've ever had. Even with new tubes, it choked whenever you hit hard with any kind of gain, be it an overdrive preamp, fuzz, distortion, etc. - excessive, pinched sounding compression to put it mildly.

I never had that problem with the '63 Tremolux, or 65 Showman heads that preceded it. I don't think my Bandmaster would have even cut the mustard for surf guitar!

Mmm,interesting.....I just picked up a ‘65 Showman for $725 yesterday.Pretty clean and sounded really great.Took it by my amp tech and left it with him to go over and get a thorough check.Already have a 212 cab so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

– Michael Williams

Yeah, that's a pretty good price for one. When I had mine back in 1990, I paid about $550. It was a great sounding clean amp, and took to pedals like a dream. It was just that it was so godawful loud! Any time I played it higher than 2 or 3 volume control, the rest of the band just about wanted to kill me, due to the volume. It was replaced by the Bandmaster I just posted about.

I had a '65 Bandmaster head back in the early 90s, and it had to be the wimpiest amp I've ever had. Even with new tubes, it choked whenever you hit hard with any kind of gain, be it an overdrive preamp, fuzz, distortion, etc. - excessive, pinched sounding compression to put it mildly.

There was something wrong with it. That doesn't describe any Bandmaster I've ever known.

I've never had a Bandmaster,although I had rather a bad jones for the blonde ones- they were for the not-quite-well-enough-off-to-afford-a-Showman. But during the BF/SF era Leo and the CBS team made a zillion of them and they became kinda ho-hum (or is that "Ho-Dad"?) especially with the buzz about anything with a Brit accent.

I had a '65 Bandmaster head back in the early 90s, and it had to be the wimpiest amp I've ever had. Even with new tubes, it choked whenever you hit hard with any kind of gain, be it an overdrive preamp, fuzz, distortion, etc. - excessive, pinched sounding compression to put it mildly.

There was something wrong with it. That doesn't describe any Bandmaster I've ever known.

– Proteus

It could have had other component issues, though I remember making similar comments about it a few years ago, and Billy Zoom stating that he thought the Bandmaster heads had undersized output transformers, which makes sense to me (Sovtek had a similar issue with their 50 watt heads having undersized output transformers, that as a result, made their output closer to 30 watts). My old Tremolux had the same power output (40 watts), and was IMO, a much gutsier sounding amp, due to its larger output transformer (I should have kept it, but hey, I was young and dumb).

The other guitar player in the band I was in at the time, had a silverface Bandmaster for a short period of time, and it didn't sound much better than my blackface.

Does the tremolux have a larger OT than a bandmaster

I had a blonde tremolux and a black bandmaster also. I quite liked it. However, the output transformer was changed out for a magnetic components one so hard to know if this made the difference

Back in my day it was the coolest Fender you could have ... tiltback mojo sold them. I like them -- and was jsut curious what a clean original/complete one might bring as top dollar.

I only refer to sold ones.

Does the tremolux have a larger OT than a bandmaster

I had a blonde tremolux and a black bandmaster also. I quite liked it. However, the output transformer was changed out for a magnetic components one so hard to know if this made the difference

– eCastro

Yes the Tremolux does, and from my personal experience is a better sounding amp. I should have kept my blonde Tremolux. Nowadays, they're kind of pricey, so I've opted out (at the present time) of getting another one.

I have a ‘64 Bandmaster. Excellent clean, punchy tones and loves all of my pedals. Only minor adjustments required switching between single coils & humbuckers. And loud! I don’t think I’ve had it over 5. It’s just a great amp.

The best sounding amp I ever owned was a '64 blackface/blonde Bandmaster. With my '65 Country Gentleman, it was a glorious combination. My heart lies with bright clean tones, and that amp delivered the goods and had plenty of power. But when forced to add overdrive or fuzz, I don't remember it having and deficiencies either.

Couldn't get a grand for my near mint example three years ago. I kept it...

– Bluecap

Just shows how wide the variation is on prices. Clean lookin' one you have there.

– Bluecap

I don’t blame ya..not like it’s eating anything other than a little floor space.

Register Sign in to join the conversation