Other Amps

Anyone had any luck with Reeves Amps?

I'm looking to get a Hiwatt tone at bedroom volumes. I'm considering one of his small amps with the master volume. Anyone had any experience with these?

Reeves Custom 12 combo w/ Power Scaling. 15 watts, 12" speaker, 22"x19" cab, full tone stack. The "Power Scaling" (which someone else who actually knows what they're talking about can fully explain) really works well at cutting down volume without killing tone. I don't know about bedroom volume, but it should get you relatively quiet enough to avoid the neighbors calling the cops and not have you upset that you just dropped a grand on an amp that only sounds good cranked. Jer DeLisle also offers Power Scaling on his amps.

Reeves Custom 12 combo w/ Power Scaling. 15 watts, 12" speaker, 22"x19" cab, full tone stack. The "Power Scaling" (which someone else who actually knows what they're talking about can fully explain) really works well at cutting down volume without killing tone. I don't know about bedroom volume, but it should get you relatively quiet enough to avoid the neighbors calling the cops and not have you upset that you just dropped a grand on an amp that only sounds good cranked. Jer DeLisle also offers Power Scaling on his amps.

– Gretschadelphia

Nice I was looking at that particular model. Nice to know the power scaling doesn't effect the tone. I forgot about delisle I'm gonna check them out too

While I have never played one, I only ever hear good things.

Power scaling is a way of inducing earlier distortion in a tube by lowering the plate voltage. Up to a tube's limits, the higher the voltage the cleaner the sound. Reducing the voltage to the plates makes the tube break up earlier, compress more easily and sound "browner". It does indeed affect the tone, but in a way that most players find good!

I "accidentally" power scaled an amp I was building once. I made a blonde Bassman, and as the bass channel wasn't going to be used by me and it used two tubes, I made it into an AC30 preamp channel, just like Badcat or Matchless do. When I built the filter section where the plate voltage is distributed from I used the Fender value dropping resistor which meant that the AC30 preamp received a lot lower voltage than it wanted.

When I plugged into it I was initially peeved that it distorted so much. Then I discovered that the way it distorted was wonderful! The volume was very low but the dirt sound was amazing. Saturated and warm... When I adjusted the resistor to get the voltages right that channel was a lot louder and punchier. It distorts, but is rather loud by the time overdrive kicks in.

I really must do something with that amp...

Register Sign in to join the conversation