Other Amps

anyone eaten up w/ old Premier amps?

Cool looking little amp, were they a stand alone company or just a re branded Supro ? Hawthorne is just a 30 minute drive from here.

I would've bought one already if I could find one in the UK. Matt Verta-Ray has one at his NY Hed studio...it features in the Heavy Trash video for (Sometimes You Gotta Be) Gentle.

Cool looking little amp, were they a stand alone company or just a re branded Supro ? Hawthorne is just a 30 minute drive from here.

– Opie

Supro was Chicago, Premier was NY. No relation as far as I know.

Oh jeez, now you’ve got my attention. Just finished rebuilding this 1965 Twin 8.

Premier was the house brand of retailer Peter Sorkin Music in NY from mid 40s to early 70s when it went under. The amps were made by Multivox which was owned by Sorkin. Other than that little is known. Available schematics are hand drawn and unreliable. Pictures, people, designers, craftsmen, all are a fart in the wind.

The amps really are a mess. Zero consistency from one chassis to the next. Cabs made of 3/8” plywood held together with woodgrain shelf paper. It’s no wonder so few have survived.

Having said that, my new Twin 8 is a tone monster.

My version is all point to point construction. The cool blue-green caps are original Mallorys and still sound great. The Vox Bulldogs are early Oxfords that I pulled from some of DCBirdmans Pathfinders.

The control panels are undeniably cool. Etched brass with screened paint.

I rebuilt this Model 71 last year for Vince, which he was cool enough to use in a photo shoot for the British mag Rock &Roll.

Shhhh! Don't tell everyone! Just jesting of course. The 71 that Powdog sorted out for me is JAW DROPPING! It flatters any guitar, guitars that haven't been sure of come to life through it.

The Twin 8 you have there is a handsome fellah, I'd love to hear it. One of the few (very) places you can hear anyone play one live is with the Concussions, a great surf intro band on YouTube.

I have no idea what to expect from tone wise, but cosmetically, they do it for me. All two tone and asymmetrical and mid-Century. Meeeeoww!

Be prepared to do some cabinet work. The bottom of my cabinet had loose joints that were coming apart which seems to be typical.

The information you give is so valuable to me, I will visit your website more often. paper io 2

Register Sign in to join the conversation