Other Amps

Any Love for the Mesa Lonestar Classic?

Mine is the 100 watt 1x12 combo with creme tolex and wheat grill cloth. It's switchable between 100, 50 and 10 watts with regular power or tweed setting.

I bought this amp new about five years ago at Back Beat Music in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I knew within the first five minutes of playing through it that it was going home with me. I bought for the clean channel alone. IMHO it has the best clean channel and spring reverb I've ever heard. The drive channel is awesome too if you know how to set it. It is a very versatile amp and a tone tweaker's dream. I love it more today than the day I bought it.

I don't recall seeing this amp mentioned much on here and wanted to put it in the spotlight for a moment and get other's opinions of this fine amplifier.

I've been similarly impressed with the couple I've had the chance to play through. Completely fabulous clean tone.

I haven't spent time with double- and triple-rectified Mesas, but I'm a fan of the combo amps I've heard - both the clean and drive channels. This preference carries through to digital models and profiles of the amps as well. I just don't have any trouble dialing in great tones on the real amps OR the models.

Once upon a time I would have striven mightily to own one...but they've always been pricey, and when I wanted or needed that much power, I couldn't afford one. Now I don't need one, could almost never use one as intended, and wouldn't want to carry one.

But I put the right Mesa up there with a high-powered MusicMan, the best black-face Fenders, and the big modern Gretsch amps in the category of it-don't-get-no-better.

I've never experienced a Dumble live, however, so there's that disclaimer.

I used to play along with a guy who had a Mesa, not sure which one, but for it's size it could cut through everything. Just stupid loud. Very nice cleans, for sure.

Back in the day our lead and rhythm guitar players used Mesa Boogies.

I never played a bad Mesa amp. I used to gig with the Subway Blues (reverb version) and it was pretty cool. I don´t own any right now but, thanks to you guys, I started craving for one...

:)

My favorite setting is 50 watts using the tube rectifier and the tweed switch engaged. The tweed mode is virtually a built-in variac that lowers the line voltage to approximately 93 volts. It makes the amp break up at a lower volume. I also love love love that it has a solo feature. Kick it on and it's like you just reached back and turned your amp master volume up. Nothing else changes. I personally believe this should be a standard feature on all amplifiers.

I'd love one -- if someone else would carry it.

I’ve been using and loving a Mesa/Boogie F-30 for 12 years. Clean channel only. Very Vox-y to my ears, small, and plays great with pedals. I was very curious about the Lonestar Classic for awhile, though.

I've never owned one, but I love every tone I've ever heard from one, and buying one might be in my future. One of my reasons I haven't yet is the weight. Even the head alone is HEAVY. I recently started using a solid state amp live, in part due to it's much lighter weight/ease of carry. (Roland Blues Cube Artist)

I saw a video of the MUCH smaller and lighter Mark Five:25, and it sounds like it can go a long way into getting LSC tones...

I too wish I needed one, just so I could get to know it. Good enough for Prince.

Great demo. Andy's got chops!

I've tried a few Mesas and they reminded me of Riveras - too many options. I've only played a couple i liked, and they were ones I didn't expect to like. The Mesa Boogies I did expect to like I didn't! Sorry - don't remember the names. The one I liked enough to briefly consider buying was a used 2x12 combo with a dual rectifier label - but it wasn't a high-gain head banger kind of amp. It had a clean channel which actually sounded pretty good, a dirty channel which could do low gain dirt well, about a gazillion knobs front and back and didn't look too much like the back of a truck.

But the weight... That's what stopped me. I used to gig with a Twin but this thing was in another league of heavy.

I have a Blue Angel, 1x12 and I love it, very mids focused when its cranked and it cuts through very nicely. I had a Nomad for awhile and I liked its dirty tones a lot but I sold it because I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it.
I heard a sample of someone playing the newish California Tweed model that came out a couple years and it sounded very nice

I've tried a few Mesas and they reminded me of Riveras - too many options. I've only played a couple i liked, and they were ones I didn't expect to like. The Mesa Boogies I did expect to like I didn't! Sorry - don't remember the names. The one I liked enough to briefly consider buying was a used 2x12 combo with a dual rectifier label - but it wasn't a high-gain head banger kind of amp. It had a clean channel which actually sounded pretty good, a dirty channel which could do low gain dirt well, about a gazillion knobs front and back and didn't look too much like the back of a truck.

But the weight... That's what stopped me. I used to gig with a Twin but this thing was in another league of heavy.

– JimmyR

That’s part of what attracted me to the F-30... it has no options. Small, light, and I never turned it up past “5”. I’ve never even plugged the footswitch in; I just use the clean channel and dirty it up with pedals when needed. I love that head.

I love my Lone Star special. The 5w setting on the clean channel is my favorite.

Register Sign in to join the conversation