Other Amps

Any Love for Gibson GA-79 Amps ?

Being a Jim Hall nut, I always wanted one of those GA50s. The GA30, also with two different sized speakers looks interesting too. Since I got a nice old 1961 Ampeg M12 Mercury, it kinda scratched that itch, and for a lot less coin. The early 60s Ampegs sound similar to the Gibsons of the era, at least some of them.

– Journeyman

As far as "scratching an itch", I accomplished that with the little (new) Harmony 8418 amp that recently got "reissued"... handwired, octal preamp, old-school looks, it actually sounds quite nice- for STRICTLY home volumes. Even cranked, this thing is not giggable, but that's something I LIKE about it.

(not my pic... but it's the one I grabbed since it has a GRETSCH in it, LOL)

I hope this forum server will be up and running again to share photos with you.

This would be great. A '61 ES 355 is a dream guitar.

– sascha

Sideways Vibrola, how cool! Thanks for showing.

– Paolo_Spadaro

Love the addition of those '50's style coffee table legs,works with that amp!

What is your opinion on Gretsch guitars? There is such an interesting model P 2629. It costs $ 400. Those who have dreamed of a Gretsch guitar will appreciate this instrument. If you were looking for information, then I recently ordered an essay here aplusessay.com/finance-assignment-help.html and learned that to ensure such a low price for this company, production had to be moved to Korea. Stylish appearance with a bright red ""sequined"" top and cerulean back. Write your opinion about this guitar. Thank you all in advance.

Someone said this about the GA 79RTV ; "EL84 power tubes and 6EU7 preamp tubes, what’s not to love?"

Well, the amp is very interesting, to be sure, but the 6eu7s run around $30 a pop, and the 7199 (for the reverb I believe) runs $100. I'm wondering whether it's worth it to rewire the tubes for 12ax7s and the 7199 for something different. I know the vintage issue will arise, but the amp needs to be functional for less than an arm and a leg.

Has anyone tried that conversion?

I recently acquired a 1951 GA-75. Just the amp, no cab. New cabinet to follow soon.

Register Sign in to join the conversation