Other Amps

another tweaky Fender difference post

Ok, the 4-10 scene -- people think first of tweed Bassman (yes in 1998 I walked into a store and bought an original '59 for $850 bucks)

And then the Super Reverb is mostly remembered

But the righteous brown Concert -- but then why no love for the short lived black panel Concert (apart from the trem difference)

BZ seems to have an appreciation for Concerts -- but I thought more people would be eaten up w/ black panel Concerts when it comes to 4-10s honkin at ya.

I have an unfinished clear pine 4x10 cab, if anyone needs one.

on a stage where you can turn up a Super Reverb to 6, it's a great blues amp. A concert (or any non-reverb blackface/silverface Fender) is cleaner - it's not just the reverb, the half-a-12AX7 of extra gain that comes with it make the reverb amps different feeling and sounding amps.

on a stage where you can turn up a Super Reverb to 6, it's a great blues amp. A concert (or any non-reverb blackface/silverface Fender) is cleaner - it's not just the reverb, the half-a-12AX7 of extra gain that comes with it make the reverb amps different feeling and sounding amps.

– WB

Well yes, sort getting back to my earlier reverb/non reverb post. Plus just way fewer black Concerts than brown Concerts and of course Super Reverbs.

I've had both types. The first was a '64, bought new. Typical scooped-mid blackface tone, moved a lot of air. Liked it OK, but I missed the brownface Tremolux I traded for it. Happened onto a '62 a few years later. Now THAT was more like it! It was my main amp for a long time, and I still have it. Friends til the end.

The black Concert amps were only made for a few months, and they were pretty disappointing. A few Bass players bought them as replacements for the 4-10" Bassmans, but the black Concerts don't have enough gain for most guitar players, and those ceramic Oxfords weren't as ballsy as the Alnicos in mst of the Brown Concerts, and they had the nasal EQ curve of the Blackface amps with none of the oomph. The original 5G12 Concerts were good amps, and so were the 6G12A's. 6G12's are just pretty good. Of course, that crossover Tremolo sounds wonderful, but destroys the tone when it's switched off...so you have to play through the other channel unless you're using the Tremolo. Also, the Brown Concerts are extremely loud & clean...they won't break up if they're stock, no matter what. Of course most have been modded a little by now to overcome that. Also, don't overlook the Brown VibroSonics! They were identical to the Concert amp except for an 8 ohm transformer and a JBL D130 instead of the 4-10"s. I think they were really intended for pedl steel, but they're great amps.

Also, there are two different 6G12 models, which is weird. The early 6G12 is a 5G12 with the knobs is the right order, and a pair of 1/4" speaker jacks. The later 6G12's had the third Tremolo Tube, different tone controls, and a lot of misc. tweeks. 6G12A's had yet another tone control circuit, and the last of the 6G12A's had the Ceramic Oxfords with small brown covers. I think it's interesting that, in spite of all the changes, the Brown Concerts all sound pretty similar. I don't know what Leo was chasing, or whether they ever found it.

Nice post & comments.. fascinating how the configurations evolved through the 3 classic era's of Tweed, Brown/Blonde, Blackface .. with seemingly arbitrary name changes to already existing platforms, destined to confuse us forever LOL. As Teagle said in the Fender Amp Book "The Name Game was on" ...

The 4 X 10 went from Tweed Bassman to Pink/Brown Concert to Blackface Concert to Super Reverb all in just a few years. The 1 x 15 went from Tweed Pro to the (excellent) Brown Pro to the brief Black Vibroverb to "Poof" .. nothing .. the 1 x 15 combo oddly vanished for years.

I personally love a 1 x 15 combo. Played a killer Brown Pro that put me on the hunt, but I wasn't up for the 3k. I was also looking for just the right Blackface, as I wanted more headroom & power than my deluxe.

So I found something that scratched both itches.. a beautiful PTP clone of a Blackface Vibroverb. It has a Vintage JBL 15 .. with 35/40 watts for that bump up from the Deluxe.

Billy, thanks for the detail on the Brown Concert editions. Cheers.

Question- what does one of the Concerts with the 4x10 weigh in at??

Looks kinda heavy..

Question- what does one of the Concerts with the 4x10 weigh in at??

Looks kinda heavy..

– Kevin Frye

55 lbs. The Fender Amp Field Guide has everything you need to know regarding Fenders to the end of the Silverface era. Great resource.

Wasn't Concert new w/ 1960 brown / white? No tweed Concert AFAIK

I believe the first concerts were the pinkish variety of the Brownface. The blondes first appeared with the piggy backs.. The Twin being the only blonde combo unless there was a custom

Just getting ready to record with my Concert amp that I definitely own.

I always wanted to try a brown Concert and came close to pulling the trigger on several occasions but never did. My GAS era having come to a close about 10 years ago, I probably never will.

– ade

Dunno how you’re gonna manage with that massive guitar.

– ade

Don't want to derail the thread, but I just had to say that guitar looks damn nice!

What is it?

Paul

Webby, it's nothing spectacular- a Rally branded Chinese Les Paul in glossy black. I put a pair of Surf90 pickups in, wired it for master volume and tone, then added a B5 which is used overstrung.

Tsar, thanks for pointing out the forced-perspective foreshortening. Must check my camera settings.

Oh Yeah, nothing quite like the classic bark of those four-tens.

Must be 10 cm

Register Sign in to join the conversation