Other Amps

An amp that should pretty much sound like crap….

A Peavey Pacer was my first amp, got it in the fall of '77. 5 years later I spent 6 weeks of my school summer vaction working at a fish factory just to be able to get rid of it and replace it with a Marshall 2x12 2104 combo that I still own and enjoy.

Allow me to derail for a bit here, even if it's not related to old Peaveys at all..:

I don't doubt that a speaker change can radically transform a Backstage, but at the same time I get a sense of deja-vu that sends my mind out on a tanget - most likely unfairly so - from maybe 15 years back when some forum brainiacs (not this forum) figured out that mid/late 70s Ibanez Fender/Gibbo wannabes were all the rage, and hey, vintage too! Wow! I had an Ibby White on white Strat, friends had other models, and guess what? They were pretty crappy. That's why they were so cheap. They same folks also tried to make their e-bay Cimar purchases look good. But guess what - Cimars were even worse.

PS: I still have the Ibanez Strat too (for nostalgic reasons) but it stopped being white in 1980 or '81 and then went totally FrankenStrat later on I never missed the Pacer for even one second either

^ Phew! Personal record in long-windedness, I believe.

@ Proteus: Solid States is a pretty decent album by The Posies.

Example here:

The Backstage 30 was also my very first guitar amp-- bought it in 1985, at the same time i bought my '79 Electra MPC. Still have the guitar, and I gave the amp to my son years ago.

Ya know what? The darn thing just won't die... still going strong almost 35 years later.

My first tube amp was a well used 1980 Deuce. Another solid state/tube hybrid with built in phaser. Loved it, and my first exposure to tube overdrive. Retired it when an amp tech couldn’t find replacement parts and I found a mint 1972 Super Reverb. Not tempted to go back, but it was an important step in my guitar journey.

Also Peavey’s customer support is second to none. In 1996 I wrote them about this old beast and they mailed me the original manual. Great people.

I paid $350 for it and on the way out the door, the owner handed me a distortion pedal. The amp would have little value today, but the pedal was a Japanese made Boss Heavy Metal which now has a cult following and is worth about $200.

"If you use pedals....it doesn't matter what amp you use."

"A Peavey is like a Chevy...they're crap, but lots of people like them."

If I didn't know better I would suspect someone might be trolling! Both statements are gross generalisations and the first one in particular is just silly.

Ok, I'm ready for someone to tell me to get off his lawn now.

"If you use pedals....it doesn't matter what amp you use."

"A Peavey is like a Chevy...they're crap, but lots of people like them."

If I didn't know better I would suspect someone might be trolling! Both statements are gross generalisations and the first one in particular is just silly.

Ok, I'm ready for someone to tell me to get off his lawn now.

– JimmyR

Not a fan of gross generalizations myself - they are usually inaccurate and disrespectful.

I think I have a problem with my Chevy......

Peavey has never been my favorite equipment, but an awful lot of it has come my way. It’s been used hard and put away wet and continues to function even when the knobs have busted off all the EQ sliders. I still have a Peavey monitor amp that got used five days a week in the ‘70s. I use it maybe twice a year. In spite of its age and beat up condition, it does what it’s supposed to do.

^ Phew! Personal record in long-windedness, I believe.

– fuzzpop

TLDR.....

(...this post was intended as a "joke" BTW.)

Ha! I had to look that up

I've had a couple of Peaveys over the decades. First one was a monster Musician III on a 4x12 Celestion cab that I had modified so that the clean channel could be a bass amp (through seperate 15" Black Widows)

it did double duty for me for most of a decade before it decided to eat three power transistors in about a month. Between that and the sheer mass of the thing, decided it was time.

Years after, I used a Bandit combo of some sort (might have been a 112) for a while as a stage amp, but it never quite gave me the sound I needed. Loud, yes. Far too loud for most of the stuff I was doing, plus I needed to amplify my Takamine 12 every now and then and as you can perhaps imagine, those two simply did not get along and the Bandit went down the road.

Register Sign in to join the conversation