Other Amps

An amp that should pretty much sound like crap….

Just for a laugh, I picked up this little Peavey Backstage 30 amp for 80 bucks. The tiny stock speaker was terrible, no headroom or low end. I dropped a 10” Eminence Legend into it, and it made a huge difference. Plugging a tele into it, I get a great clean tone, that takes pedals well. I actually played a show with it last night, one of those situations with lots of bands, and very little time for set up. We mic’d it through the house PA, and I was good to go. For all the abuse Peavey gets, they must have done something right - these seem built to last!

That 70s era Peavey stuff was rock solid. The Pacer ( a single 12) is what I'd get if I were shopping but pretty much done with the amp market for now.

I have a Pacer as my emergency amp should everything break or the gig is super sketchy, or someone needs to borrow something. 25 pounds, loud AF, can stay clean, and bulletproof.

My first Pacer (a bit taller than the better-known version, from the same color-coded-knob generation as the Backstage) was the first new amp I owned, at 199.00, about 1982. Great amp: clean, balanced, bright enough but warm. For years I’d been using a 2-12 Bandmaster, and appreciated the Pacer’s portability and day-to-day consistency and maintenance-free reliability. I eventually traded up to a Special 130, physically smaller with an aluminum-cap 12” Black Widow, 4 6L6s and terrifying volume. Clean for days, crisp enough to slice rocks. It eventually shook and cooked itself to unreliability, but it was a monster ride while it lasted.

After that, Music Mans and a Seymour Duncan Convertible. I swore off Peavey as too uncool for 20 years, until I tried a used Classic 30 at a GC and bought it on the spot. Then a Delta Blues, for the same base tone in a jumbo 15 size. Then stupidly sold it, can’t recall why - but soon missed it and bought another. Then a second C30, for stereo.

Other more expensive boutique amps have come and gone; I still haven’t found an amp I like better than the Classic 30/DB platform. Combination of great clean tone, super pedal platform, superb drive channel (which I should use more), effects loop, manageable size and weight. Reverb is better than passable, but not classic Fender-grade. (There are pedals for that.)

I’m over being ashamed of the Peavey name (though the pointy logo Hartley sketched in high school is still ugly). Always good stuff at a better-than-fair price - and sometimes great stuff. Solid, reliable, sounds good. Is good!

I have a Pacer as my emergency amp should everything break or the gig is super sketchy, or someone needs to borrow something. 25 pounds, loud AF, can stay clean, and bulletproof.

– spike

"Loud AF" love it!

My first Pacer (a bit taller than the better-known version, from the same color-coded-knob generation as the Backstage) was the first new amp I owned, at 199.00, about 1982. Great amp: clean, balanced, bright enough but warm. For years I’d been using a 2-12 Bandmaster, and appreciated the Pacer’s portability and day-to-day consistency and maintenance-free reliability. I eventually traded up to a Special 130, physically smaller with an aluminum-cap 12” Black Widow, 4 6L6s and terrifying volume. Clean for days, crisp enough to slice rocks. It eventually shook and cooked itself to unreliability, but it was a monster ride while it lasted.

After that, Music Mans and a Seymour Duncan Convertible. I swore off Peavey as too uncool for 20 years, until I tried a used Classic 30 at a GC and bought it on the spot. Then a Delta Blues, for the same base tone in a jumbo 15 size. Then stupidly sold it, can’t recall why - but soon missed it and bought another. Then a second C30, for stereo.

Other more expensive boutique amps have come and gone; I still haven’t found an amp I like better than the Classic 30/DB platform. Combination of great clean tone, super pedal platform, superb drive channel (which I should use more), effects loop, manageable size and weight. Reverb is better than passable, but not classic Fender-grade. (There are pedals for that.)

I’m over being ashamed of the Peavey name (though the pointy logo Hartley sketched in high school is still ugly). Always good stuff at a better-than-fair price - and sometimes great stuff. Solid, reliable, sounds good. Is good!

– Proteus

I used to also be liike that -- I was a vintage tube amp snob, Peavey-for-dorks-only, but outgrew all that and would love to use a Pacer again.

Cool! This brings back memories!

The Backstage 30 was my first 'real' guitar amp and i remember it served me well.

At least until i tried to add a tweeter and fried the poor thing.

The Bandit gets a lot of praise these days too, I have a Bandit 65 but I have so many amps I never play it

Ye olde Bandit is in the same lineage as the Pacer; it was the Pacer's replacement when Peavey started to figure out a full-featured OD channel with its own "cascaded gain" preamp and appropriately-voiced EQ section. Nice amp.

I have a Peavy Butcher head in my basement, if anyone’s interested....It’s the late 70’s early 80’s model.....

I had one when they came out, killer amp. Then one day it died suddenly and I gave it away. Would pick another up in a heartbeat if I saw one cheap.

I bought an Audition 20 used about 30 years ago. Still sounds fantastic, and records so nicely! I always wondered if Peavey lost the Def Leppard logo if they'd have the respect they deserve.

I have a Peavy Butcher head in my basement, if anyone’s interested....It’s the late 70’s early 80’s model.....

– Matt Vogt

Hmm....photos?

Hmm....photos?

– hilosean

Here’s the front

If you use pedals....it doesn't matter what amp you use.

If you use pedals....it doesn't matter what amp you use.

– Billy Zoom

Sorry Billy, you meant to say "how many" instead of "what"

When I quit the band back in the early '80's, I sold all my Bass gear and bought a brand new Les Paul Std. and a Peavey Backstage 30 as my only gear. I had that amp for almost 30 years before it died, which made me happy because it sounded like junk...lol. Since then, I've been through about 10 amps, two of which were also Peavey's...still have 3 of them (Fender, Genz Benz, Quilter) plus a Kemper profiler (which sounds great).

Here’s the front

– Matt Vogt

Cool/big!

Since we've talked about amps a lot in the last few days, what with the Executive dustup and now this Peavey appreciation, I should say that the only amp other than an Executive that still strikes me as something really special is BZ's 12-watt Little Blue Killer. And that would actually make some kind of sense in my down-volume situation.

Other than that, at least for the moment, I'm kinda over amps.

I still use an ancient Peavey PA and bass rig at our rehearsal space. I keep threatening to gather it all up with the Pacer for a gig and call the band The Solid States.

The Solid States.

Great bandname. I wonder how many audiences would connect all the dots.

A Peavey is like a Chevy...they're crap, but lots of people like them.

I had one of those Classic 50 Peavey combos from the '80s. Tube power amp/solid state preamp. Mine was a later version with phaser instead of trem. The preamp section was too crisp on the clean setting, and too dirty on the distorted side, but, mixed, it wasn't too bad. Still hissy, tho. Plenty of 6L6 power thru 2X12 Black Widows, so, I wound up using a Mesa rack preamp to drive the power amp section. Still, too much power for home use. The best part was that I got out of it what I had into it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation