Other Amps

amps in weird cabs

I have seen pix of a few amp builders who put a chassis in a non-standard enclosure... just to be different. Like an old metal space heater, a art deco suitcase, a small trunk, just weird stuff that can be altered to hold a chassis, control panel, speaker and still sound good and look cool.

Anyone else seen stuff like this?

Yeah, I put a Fender Frontman in an old suitcase. Sounds so much better and half the weight. Ugliest thing I own. I had beer and a dremel tool.

Back open or back closed. Like two different amps. I'll be looking for a different case so I can do a better job soon.

Someday I would like to have someone build an amp with this.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about... existing chassis or original builds put into Weird Cabs.

I've seen a few. Oddest one was an old Geiger counter. Another was in a .50 cal ammo box. I have a really small wooden case from a piece of 1920s test gear that I'd like to use. My brother made a couple of speaker cab out of two old style tall neck beer cases.

Not an amp, but I built a reverb unit into this old Craftsman toolbox

I think there are some Manufactureres you might want to check out:

Ball Amps: http://www.ballamps.com/ (building Amps into old suitcases, that look super tasty I think)

Square Amps: https://squareamps.com/ (Amps bult from- and into old Radios)

These were just two that came to my mind

Paul

I do this sort of thing when ever I can and inspiration strikes. I was building amps/recording pres in Akai/roberts reel to reel units and installing them in vintage makeup cases. Also my stereo tube amp recording /home playing setup, complete with reverb and tremelo ala vibrochamp, built inside and using another Roberts reel to reel. It now has a JBL D208 mounted in the old lid as well now, I guess the completely configured amp is mounted in the same way but the original speakers were 5x7s mounted on the sides(now removed)

I used this one as the echo part of my live rig with my super reverb for years. Though it was eventually loaded with a JBL D123. One of my first conversions using an old electrohome PA300 PLus another roberts unit atop a speaker cab made out of an old record player box. (baffle and grill cloth added)

Man, you guys are so talented. Wonderful builds, guys.

Good to see this kool stuff.

Powdog?

You guys have some serious talent! Ingenious ideas!!

Love that B+H cab!

Not so long ago there was a thread about a Fender amp built with timber from a sports stadium I think? Mostly it was bagged because it was so expensive, and rightly so. But i thought it looked very cool. One day I would love to build a cab from reclaimed timber, but most of the reclaimed timber where I live is jarrah - it looks nice but is heavy as hell and horrible to work.

You fellas in the northern Hemisphere have such wonderful indigenous timbers!

Whilst I have actually bought lumber to build cabinets. Generally If I can I use found materials. This cab (and fender style reverb unit built into a Garnet reverb unit chassis) is built from an antique birdseye maple laminate armoire the jackass caretaker of our building bust up and then left outside. The trim on the front edges of both is solid maple organ foot pedals. The cabinet on top ended up becoming my current BF vibrolux reverb (with x 10s) I use much of the time. The green and brown cabinet on the right is made from a reel to reel chassis and a bit of wood speaker panel from an organ. And when I was much more ambitious I cut down a salvaged Baldwin organ cabinet into this stand alone furniture/speaker cabinet. That required a lot of planning as I couldn't show cut edges anywhere. Reusing things for new purposes is very satisying. https://i.imgur.com/Mo1xjaA...

I also have one of those B&H cabs. Eventually I'll do something special with it.

I do this sort of thing when ever I can and inspiration strikes. I was building amps/recording pres in Akai/roberts reel to reel units and installing them in vintage makeup cases. Also my stereo tube amp recording /home playing setup, complete with reverb and tremelo ala vibrochamp, built inside and using another Roberts reel to reel. It now has a JBL D208 mounted in the old lid as well now, I guess the completely configured amp is mounted in the same way but the original speakers were 5x7s mounted on the sides(now removed)

– Toxophilite

Is the third picture an Ampex 600?

Is yours one of the ones that came with an amp?

I also have one of those B&H cabs. Eventually I'll do something special with it.

– Mark Nason

This is one of the models without a power transformer. I gutted the one I had and put in a Champ/Princeton transformer and made it into a 5E3 Fender Deluxe “lite” Just a single channel..Cabinet is super cool!

Is the third picture an Ampex 600?

– wabash slim

No it's a stereo tube Roberts/Akai reel to reel. Neat unit with with single ended 6BM8 based power amps. I made stereo vibro champ out of it with an ampeg echo twin style 'stereo' reverb. I can see the resemblance though. It had a reel to reel where the front baffle is.

Here's a little cab I built to house a Frenzel amp I'd bought. Based on several different radio cabs I'd seen. Has a built in dolly with a telescoping arm made for carry on luggage, works great.

That’s fantastic!

Here's a little cab I built to house a Frenzel amp I'd bought. Based on several different radio cabs I'd seen. Has a built in dolly with a telescoping arm made for carry on luggage, works great.

– Opie

Very cool Opie.

Love it!

Not really weird, but I’m converting this old battery operated Motorola radio into a guitar amp. Nowhere near the size of Opie’s, more of a bedroom amp.

Register Sign in to join the conversation