Other Amps

Amps for use with headphones

Anyone got any suggestions for amp's that are good for noodling around with headphones?

I'm currently looking at either the Strymon Iridium, Quilter 101 or Quilter InterBlock 45, though the 101 really looks like overkill

The Spark amps are amazing in many ways and are designed for headphones.

Strymon Iridium, Quilter 101 or Quilter InterBlock 45

That's an awful wide range of products. Sure they can all be used with headphones, but some of those also have built-in power amps. Do you ever expect to use it with a speaker cab? If not, then don't spring for the Quilters. If you need the power amp then obviously don't buy the Strymon.

Plenty of amp sim pedals with headphone features like the Iridium, the new Walrus ACS1, the Ampli Fire box, Mooer Radar, etc.

If you need an actual amp, the Quilters will perform beautifully, but many other decent amps (tube and solid state) come with headphone out these days.

Then there's the in-between jambox-type deals like the little Yamaha thing, the Spark, the Mini Katana, even the Boss Waza Headphones.

Jonesing to plug into SOMETHING until the plague subsides, I bought a several-years-old Behringer V-Amp2 from a local kid (Craigslist) for $25, delivered to my door. I am having a blast with it! Granted, 85% of the sounds it makes are freakin' horrible, but I've found several very satisfying sounds in it, and being able to play with headphones has saved my sanity. Plinking on unplugged electrics just wasn't cutting it.

Vox Amplug 2 AC 30 or Amplug 2 Classic Rock headphone amplifiers are inexpensive ($40), but very cool little headphone (only) amplifiers. I have both the AC 30 and the Classic Rock versions, and they really rock. I prefer the AC30, it's more versatile, in that it can play both clean and dirty.

These little things have on board effects, reverb, delay, and chorus. They're great for noodling around, and won't break the bank. They can be bought from any of the usual places, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, or even Amazon.

If I'm too lazy to fire up the computer, I use a Traynor Quarterhorse, 25 watts and most of the effects that you will need. You could probably pick one up on the used market at a pretty fair price.

The Spark amps are amazing in many ways and are designed for headphones.

– drmilktruck

Yep. Another vote for a Spark. I've had one for just about a year now and I use it all the time.

Just make the whole trip and get a modeler of some sort.

These Hotone Amperos are mighty cool: https://reverb.com/marketpl...

Line 6's HX Stomp would surely suffice: https://reverb.com/marketpl...

I'm very impressed with my Mooer GE-300 modeler/multi-fx, but they have a whole line with the same tech, with lower prices for less connectivity: http://www.mooeraudio.com/p...

Boss has similar options, and I'm sure the Katana amps have headphone jacks if you want a whole combo amp.

If you have an iPad and are willing to get a decent interface, there are many apps at penny-dollar prices which do the same thing as most of these choices. Tons of amp models, and more tons of virtual pedals. Easy to use, weigh nothing, sound great.

Boss has similar options, and I'm sure the Katana amps have headphone jacks if you want a whole combo amp. Proteus

Yup, the Boss Katana does indeed have a headphone output jack. I've got the Katana 100 watt 2x12 (45 lbs), and I really like it. The 100 watt 1x12 is a lot lighter (26 lbs) and therefore easier to carry around. These are cool amplifiers, I'd go for the 100 watt over the 50 watt, the 100 watt modles have a lot more options.

The six button GA-FC footswitch is optional, but it's a vital component of the amp and I wouldn't be without it. They hook you for an extra hundred bucks for the footswitch, so factor that into the equation when considering purchasing a Katana amplifier.

I do what Wade suggests in post # 5.

I use this for headphone playing, and the option of having multiple amps to choose from works well.

Link

I used to have a Vox Amplug. It was okay, but not the greatest sound, imo.

I have the Iridium, which I like a lot. The "Room" effect is nice for making it sound like you don't have an amp speaker right up against your ear.

And, serendipitously, I just saw this, which might be another option.

I have the HX Stomp and like using it as a headphone amp from time to time but a potential downside is that it is tethered to a power outlet.

I use this for headphone playing, and the option of having multiple amps to choose from works well.

I really like the idea of both the Iridium and the Simplifier, but the Iridium's lack of an effects loop disqualifies it for my purposes. The Humboldt is OK in that department, and otherwise has a full enough (but, per the name, not over-elaborated) feature set. For most practical purposes, it might replace the Kemper and/or Helix (as I don't often rely on the effects in either, and use a tiny fraction of their amp sims), and it's very attractive at the price.

I should probably try one.

The Blackstar Fly 3 sounds great with headphones and surprisingly good without headphones too. The 3" speaker doesn't sound small.

memory lane-

surprised to see these are goin for near 300$ these days...nostalgia is expensive!

cheers

Vox Amplug 2 AC 30 or Amplug 2 Classic Rock headphone amplifiers are inexpensive ($40), but very cool little headphone (only) amplifiers. I have both the AC 30 and the Classic Rock versions, and they really rock. I prefer the AC30, it's more versatile, in that it can play both clean and dirty.

These little things have on board effects, reverb, delay, and chorus. They're great for noodling around, and won't break the bank. They can be bought from any of the usual places, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, or even Amazon.

– Wade H

Yes, totally agree with you, VOX AP2AC amPlug 2 AC30 is a really great option among headphone amps. Good quality, reasonable price, and battery-operated. Here you can find the best headphones amplifiers for different genres.

I've got the EHX Headphone amp, probably too simple, but it works.

I have owned many modelers for practice and recording and have settled down with the nearly 20 year-old Adrenalinn III. Forty realistic and tweakable amp models - along with features that I can't begin to describe here. Rather than fizzy all-the-same sounding output, it will retain your guitar's character. It will definitely inspire you.

My buddy just got the Iridium, is raving about it. He says the quality, build and tonal, is exceptional.

Register Sign in to join the conversation