Other Amps

amp report — dudes are still shelling out big for pre CBS Fender

I sorta thought that scene had softened up some being 2020 and all, but I checked ...

Super nice black Vibroverb -- $5500

Kleen brown Concert -- $3700

Super nice blond Bassman $3400

Black panel Deluxe Reverb (not even pre CBS but then most black panels were CBS era) @2950

So the beat goes on.... without me, tho. 20 years ago I went int a store and bought a nice '59 Bassman for $850 but even then that was dumb luck

They're magical, and made out of unobtanium.

If those are asking prices they are unrealistic. Maybe the VV because they are rare and because of the SRV connection, but the others will sit at those prices.

I tried to sell a nice 1965 Deluxe Reverb for $2,300 and had no luck.

There’s an (albeit clean and all original) ‘65 Princeton for sale here in town for $2000.00.

I wonder exactly how much the lockdowns have squashed sales.

Also up in that rarefied atmosphere are some Marshalls and some hi-end boutique builds.

If those are asking prices they are unrealistic. Maybe the VV because they are rare and because of the SRV connection, but the others will sit at those prices.

– Jeff H

Those are sold prices -- why I posted this to start.

So I guess for the right thing, to the right person, that market still exists.

I just had thought that scene was over -- but I guess not.

HOPE not! For the sake of my heirs...

Biggest amount I ever had @ one time was brown Super w/ reverb unit; tweed Tremolux; tweed Vibrolux -- had lots of black and silver panels along the way. Also note kool '56 P Bass and '57 Esquire in pix. This was late last century.

Really nice examples always sell well and at a premium. It took me months to move my original but rode hard blonde bassman at 1700. The nicer stuff I've listed lately goes in a day or two at full price.

Not sure if it helps prove your thesis/adds to your research - I sold a May 1960 Super (Pulse Adj, tweed era grill cloth but not center volume) with 97% original electronics (doghouse caps change) and iron. No speakers and replacement back panels = £2100 GBP, whatever that is in USD.

Not sure if it helps prove your thesis/adds to your research - I sold a May 1960 Super (Pulse Adj, tweed era grill cloth but not center volume) with 97% original electronics (doghouse caps change) and iron. No speakers and replacement back panels = £2100 GBP, whatever that is in USD.

– knavel

A bit high for the US but still within reason. I'm a big 2-10 fan and always felt a bit deprived because I never had a Super. Years later I consoled myself with a Music Man 2-10 65.

Did you expect them to get cheaper if you waited long enough??

At $2,000 they’re still a bargain. There were a ton of cheap amps made in the 60s that didn’t survive. 50-60 year old Fenders are still rock solid, some just need a tune up. Don’t know if Leo had that kind of longevity in mind when he was building them, but always a good investment. Yer grandkids will be fighting over them.

That brown Super I had for 15 years w/ presence and that killer trem/vib scene was just right for what I wanted then. But that was then, and things change.

I figured combos w/ reverb might still be hi-$ but not so much piggybacks...I was wrong there too.

Still I see loads of clean silver panel Twins that aren't selling at all. No love for Quad Reverbs and the mighty Super Six

I've been a little shocked at asking prices for workhorse blackface amps like blackface bassmans over here in Europe - I see them advertised for around 1500 over here, for just the head!! I'm getting old, I remember having ample choice for a third of that.

Best time EVER ton buy a Super Reverb or Twin Reverb! We live in a world where Princetons are more expensive than Supers. I think it's one of the signs of the End of Times.

Best time EVER ton buy a Super Reverb or Twin Reverb! We live in a world where Princetons are more expensive than Supers. I think it's one of the signs of the End of Times.

– charlie chitlins

Not just Princetons.

I have a few expensive amps, one was $2700 and another $1500. But after seeing Darrel Higham with his $750 delta blues and a $100 zoom pedal. I guess it does not matter

At $2,000 they’re still a bargain. There were a ton of cheap amps made in the 60s that didn’t survive. 50-60 year old Fenders are still rock solid, some just need a tune up. Don’t know if Leo had that kind of longevity in mind when he was building them, but always a good investment. Yer grandkids will be fighting over them.

– Powdog

Just finished reading a book about ol Leo. He started out repairing them, and when he decided to make his own, he wanted to make them sturdy, able to service being dropped. There were stories when he first started to make his own amps, showing up to customer’s gigs And tweeting the amp while the musician was working. Was an interesting read.

I have a few expensive amps, one was $2700 and another $1500. But after seeing Darrel Higham with his $750 delta blues and a $100 zoom pedal. I guess it does not matter

– Mark Kunie

Well we read that Jeff Beck plays thru everyday Pro Jr amps

Register Sign in to join the conversation