Other Amps

Amp lube!!

Hey fellas, thought I’d ask here first. What product do you use to lubricate stiff pots on an amplifier?

Deoxit.....only because thats the one closest to the bench.I've got and have used a number of different brands.They all work just as good.

Been using this for years.

MG chemicals electrosolve has a product that has a productive that has 'lubricants' added.I bet Lees or RP has it. I generally take mine to Canadian Tire, I get an oil change and have the belts checked at the same time.

Paul, I was able to buy DeOxit #5 from amazon.ca. Most suppliers don't like to ship aerosol cans across the border, anyway.

Where do you get it now?

– wabash slim

Had this Can for years, my best guess would be to enter your zip code here to find a location near by at this link below. I know that the store that I used to go to has closed but I believe that are still some open.

Link

Had this Can for years, my best guess would be to enter your zip code here to find a location near by at this link below. I know that the store that I used to go to has closed but I believe that are still some open.

Link

– 949Norm

We had four RS shops in town. Sadly, all gone now. RS was owned by Tandy---a company that sold leather working supplies. Lots of hobbyist oriented things fell by the wayside. The RS in my hometown sold used stereo gear and HAM radio equipment back in the '60s and '70s. Once they started carrying mostly batteries, headphones, and cellphones instead of electronic parts you could see the writing on the wall. People stopped their hobbyist endeavors.

MG chemicals electrosolve has a product that has a productive that has 'lubricants' added.I bet Lees or RP has it. I generally take mine to Canadian Tire, I get an oil change and have the belts checked at the same time.

– Toxophilite

Yes MG Electrosolve is very good too. I've got a stash of it at work for our saltwater electronics.

I've got a can of the Radio Shack cleaner with no lubricant,its almost empty.I like the non lube for tube sockets and places I dont want lubricant residue.

In this area, RS has morphed into something called "The Source by Circuit City".. Two stores in the region, mostly centered on cellphones, drones and wireless/bluetooth toys for home and auto, but for now they still do carry some of the partsbin hobby stuff RS was known for. However, days seem to be numbered. I went in to the nearest one for a 1/4"-miniplug adapter yesterday and the whole rack was marked "Clearance"..

It's annoying, because when I closed down the studio a few years ago, I tossed a full box of adapters and pre-adapted cables (phone- XLR, RCA-phone, extensions for any sort of cable needed, etc) because I figured they were all near the end of their useful lives and if I needed one, replacements were easy to come by. That was then. We had five or six RS' within a half hour drive and all of them had pretty much exactly what you needed and were open later, too. Yes RS stuff was "cheap", but it was plentiful, and if you allowed for a reasonably short service life, it was ok.

This is now. And it's not even close to how it was back then.

I kinda miss Radio Shack.

Luckily, I've got a really good electronics parts house less than a mile away from me. Newark Electronics online is the next best bet.

I use Deoxit, but I think I read here a while back about someone using lemon pledge in a pinch.

Used to be two great electronics stores in Sacramento. One proper store and the other was aisle after aisle of NOS and surplus components. Both gone, chased out of business by Fry’s.

And Fry’s, well.........

I miss Fry's. My first two pedals were built entirely with parts from Fry's. Not cheap, but nice to have available.

DeOxit, which can be used on any electrical moving parts under power.

I think BZ uses WD40. Most would warn you to avoid it like the plague, but he knows his stuff! I could be wrong...but I really think he posted it in a similar thread.

WD-40 degrades plastic, doesn't it?

Register Sign in to join the conversation