Other Amps

Amp issue

I have a Vox AC 10 that I have 15-20 gigs on.

It has started to develop an issue. It cuts out toward the end of a gig. It seems the sound will kinda sag into silence. Seems to do it when I run it hard. Any ideas? I took a look at the tubes and they look fine as far as I can tell. The heaters glown and when I Tap on them no strange sounds. One of the speaker wires my have been loose. It was off when I opened up the back. Not sure if it happened taking the back off?

Make sure everything is seated well---tubes and wires. The issue could be a bad tube, a bad cap somewhere, or it may be something else. As it's new, you might want to check your warranty, tho I was told by a GC salesman (grain of salt taken) that Vox won't cover an amp if it's been gigged---which is like not warrantying a car if you've driven it.

Seems to me something is going towards open circuit when the amp has saturated at max temp for an extended period of time. A connection is loose or failing, bad solder joint, cracked resistor, etc.

Make sure everything is seated well---tubes and wires. The issue could be a bad tube, a bad cap somewhere, or it may be something else. As it's new, you might want to check your warranty, tho I was told by a GC salesman (grain of salt taken) that Vox won't cover an amp if it's been gigged---which is like not warrantying a car if you've driven it.

– wabash slim

So dont tell them you gigged with it,duh

Probably 75% of all tube amp problems are because of a bad tube. First place I would check.

Probably 75% of all tube amp problems are because of a bad tube. First place I would check.

– guitarcapo

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your new amplifier. I agree with guitarcapo, tubes and tube sockets are the first place to check. Since the amp is fairly new, I would clean the tube sockets with a zero residue spray cleaner, tube sockets are not particularly reliable connectors. If you still have the problem, try to find an electronic supply store or a music store repair department that has a tube tester, and check the tubes.

It's getting very difficult to find access to a tube tester. In years past, tube testers were at all types of stores, not so today. As others have observed, you can always try the warranty route. Best of luck with getting it sorted out.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your new amplifier. I agree with guitarcapo, tubes and tube sockets are the first place to check. Since the amp is fairly new, I would clean the tube sockets with a zero residue spray cleaner, tube sockets are not particularly reliable connectors. If you still have the problem, try to find an electronic supply store or a music store repair department that has a tube tester, and check the tubes.

It's getting very difficult to find access to a tube tester. In years past, tube testers were at all types of stores, not so today. As others have observed, you can always try the warranty route. Best of luck with getting it sorted out.

– Wade H

The tube testers once found in stores were notoriously bad. They'd tell you that a good tube was bad just to sell more tubes. My dad fixed TVs and radios as a side gig throughout the '50s and dealt with it often. Look up a HAM radio guy---they're likely to have a working tube tester.

Register Sign in to join the conversation