Other Amps

Amp for acoustic and electric

Is there an amp (I guess likely solid state) that does a good job of both electric and acoustic sounds ? Meaning one can plug an acoustic with a piezo into it and get sounds as good as a decent PA but one could also use an electric with it and get good fenderish silverface clean sounds. Not looking for a compromise with 'okay' sounds for both, but actual good sounds. Also I don't want anything too tricked out with a zillion presets and also something that can be used with a drummer. Not too heavy or big or a zillion dollars. I was thinking quilter or maybe roland cube?

I don't think anything can make a piezo pickup sound good.

– Otter

Mine makes the guitar into an electric drum!

– Otter

This is so true of course and I am well aware of it through long years of use and experience. My D-28 has a highlander pickup, It sounds not bad through a PA but yes it becomes a different instrument one has to learn anew to play. Best when combined with a microphone then it actually sounds quite good. However I don't want to be attached to a chair or a mike stand so for some live performance I will accept the compromise.

That dealt with(as it wasn't really the question but I realize people need to stick their oars in)

The Sedona looks cool but I think at close to $3000 it's a little too dear for my wallet. Back to the original question!

I have a Fender Acoustasonic 90 watt guitar/microphone amplifier, that works very well for electric guitar too. It gets plenty loud and has separate on board effects (multiple reverbs, delays, and chorus), 4 band EQ, and volume (plus a master volume) for each channel. I like it and have found it to be a very versatile amp. New, it cost me 300 USD.

Mine works fine for a piezo pickup especially if you have a preamp in the guitar or on your belt. I used it to amplify my mandolin when it had a Dean Markley stick on piezo pickup and it actually worked fine. It works even better with the new Fishman ebony mandolin piezo bridge and a K&K preamp

I don't think they make the 90 watt version any more, but they are all over the place used. It looks like Fender has ditched the 90 watt, in lieu of the 40 watt version. They aren't too expensive either, costing a mere 200 USD new and about the same for a used 90 watt version.

I have a Fender Acoustasonic 90 watt guitar/microphone amplifier, that works very well for electric guitar too. It gets plenty loud and has separate on board effects (multiple reverbs, delays, and chorus), 4 band EQ, and volume (plus a master volume) for each channel. I like it and have found it to be a very versatile amp. New, it cost me 300 USD.

Mine works fine for a piezo pickup especially if you have a preamp in the guitar or on your belt. I used it to amplify my mandolin when it had a Dean Markley stick on piezo pickup and it actually worked fine. It works even better with the new Fishman ebony mandolin piezo bridge and a K&K preamp

I don't think they make the 90 watt version any more, but they are all over the place used. It looks like Fender has ditched the 90 watt, in lieu of the 40 watt version. They aren't too expensive either, costing a mere 200 USD new and about the same for a used 90 watt version.

– Wade H

That's actually not a bad idea. I remember using one with my acoustic and thought for a stage moniter rig it sounded pretty good. I never did try it with electric but I would be curious and yes, very affordable.

That's actually not a bad idea. I remember using one with my acoustic and thought for a stage moniter rig it sounded pretty good. I never did try it with electric but I would be curious and yes, very affordable.

– Toxophilite

Bernard, I've seen it used for electric guitar, and it handled it very well. A guy in our church band has used an Acoustasonic 90 as an electric guitar amp for the past several years. They have an XLR output, that comes in real handy, and can be easily XLR'ed to the PA soundboard. I use it that way every time I play mandolin with them. Our church bought a former elementary school campus about ten years ago, and church services are held in the old gymnasium. Even without using the XLR output, the amp was loud enough to play in that spacious environment. When I output to the soundboard, I use the amp as a stage monitor, probably very similar to how you've used it that way.

Tom Bukovac said he uses a Roland Cube amp for his youtube channel videos when people asks how he gets such great tone. I've haven't seen him plug an acoustic into it, but his electric sounds great. And they have a decent clean sound if I remember correctly.

This is so true of course and I am well aware of it through long years of use and experience. My D-28 has a highlander pickup, It sounds not bad through a PA but yes it becomes a different instrument one has to learn anew to play. Best when combined with a microphone then it actually sounds quite good. However I don't want to be attached to a chair or a mike stand so for some live performance I will accept the compromise.

That dealt with(as it wasn't really the question but I realize people need to stick their oars in)

The Sedona looks cool but I think at close to $3000 it's a little too dear for my wallet. Back to the original question!

– Toxophilite

2000$ for the Sedona. It’s a real total tube amp. Whit a balance inpunt and normal input, whit a anti-feedback circuit and a split tweeter!

2000$ it’s a right price for this product.

Fender acoustic amp is a good amp.

Paolo.

I've been researching the heck out of the Boss Katana.The acoustic channel seems legit. Highly rated across the board and affordable.

Hmm... consigned my JC77 a while back... was considering a Loudbox but the Katana looks intriguing. I'd go for the 50W version if I was to jump...

Like everything regarding "gear," it's all opinion!

Addendum: Tone is in the ear, and it decides what works and what doesn't!

...------

Boss Katana. There is an Acoustic amp as one of the amp variations. I don't own one but you could set one patch for acoustic and another for electric

This will sound crazy but back in the early-mid 2000’s Ronnie Hymes,Lucky Tubb(Ernest Tubb’s nephew) and Hank lll (before he went with Green amps and bigger venues) used Hotrod Deluxes, Devilles and sounded really good.Ronnie’s and Lucky’s amps had V30’s as well as Hanks Deluxe amps but I can’t recall about his Deville which he used with his Guild Nightbird anyway.No JJ tubes either..too much for the Baggs equipped Hummingbird Ronnie used and Lucky’s Guild JF-30 Jumbo he used at the time. I myself use a modded 6V6 ProJr for acoustic stuff with a Celestion G12H.Gutted and built by Doug Hoffman with a cab from Ethan.

I do have a setup like that with my Swing band, which I really like. I picked up a used Ibanez Troubadour T20 at a flea market for 20€, Which is a small and extremely lightweight dedicated acoustic amp.

What I really like about that amp is the fact, that it has two channels, one being an XLR in, so I can also use it with microphones, sort of like a miniature PA. I've used it for acoustic/electric guitar, Upright Bass and Vocals in different situations and have always been quite happy. I don't think my piezo equipped guitars sound worse then through a PA.

For clean Jazz-sounds I also dig plugging an archtop straight into it, sort of like many guys do it with these AER combos.

For Vintage Sounds I just use different preamp pedals to add some flavour. I've had good results with a Joyo-American Pedal for Tweed sounds, but in my opinion it excels with the Jr. Barnyard. Here's a Snippet I recorded with that setup:

https://soundcloud.com/gram...

[Guitar>Barnyard>Amp]

Might be a approach worth trying out, as these amps are dirt cheap used.

Paul

I've been researching the heck out of the Boss Katana.The acoustic channel seems legit. Highly rated across the board and affordable.

– AndyJ

I own a Boss Katana 100 watt 2x12 amplifier, and the acoustic channel is legit. It works very well with acoustic instruments, even with piezo pickups w/o a preamp. One of the more usable features of the Katana amplifiers is the Power Attenuator. It sets the output for .5 watt, 50 watts, or 100 watts. The amp can get the full bloom at just half a watt, which is pretty handy when you're trying to be considerate of others.

Quilter. I have the Micro Pro-8, it is superb for electric or acoustic. There a used one near me now for under $800 .

I was told once that a really high input impedance may make a piezo sound good, even with a tube amp. Find a preamp or a pedal with 10 megaohms input resistance.

I would personally try an acoustic guitar IR. https://www.3sigmaaudio.com...

I was told once that a really high input impedance may make a piezo sound good, even with a tube amp. Find a preamp or a pedal with 10 megaohms input resistance.

I would personally try an acoustic guitar IR. https://www.3sigmaaudio.com...

– hammerhands

I was looking at that site and it's interesting thanks. Hilarious in one way though that I have a pickup in my D-28 and to make it sound..like itself or close, I would use a D 45 simulator!

Quilter. I have the Micro Pro-8, it is superb for electric or acoustic. There a used one near me now for under $800 .

– Opie

I have the same amp, channel 1 has a great sound for electric guitar, lots of tone shaping options — all analog, transistor but quite good. Channel 2 is flat and works well with almost anything. I’ve even plugged a mic in (it’s a combo jack). The 8” speaker is actually a full range speaker the only downside is there’s no tweeter so it won’t have great high end for your acoustic. But the amp can drive another 8 ohm enclosure so maybe run it into a cheap passive PA speaker? Just a thought. I’ve seen used MicroPros selling as cheap as $500.

Register Sign in to join the conversation