Other Amps

Amp experts: Fender Tweed Champ & Princeton

I‘ve got an amp question. What in the circuits of Tweed Champs and Princetons is it that makes them lack bass/lows. I‘m not talking cabinets and speakers. When I connect them to my Deluxe‘s cab they just don’t put out any bass. I did expect them to sound at least close to the 5e3 at bedroom level but they aren’t at all. Why?

The 2 main culprits are the small speaker and the tiny output transformer.Small components=small sound.The whole circuit is really downsized even in comparison to a relatively low powered 5E3.

So if we leave out the speaker it is just the output transformer?

The 5F1 and 5F2a have .02uF coupling caps, the 5E3 has .1uF. Big difference there. The 5F1 does have a tiny OT, but the 5F2a should be a little larger. I have a Tweed Princeton in a 1x12 cab and it has plenty of bottom end, but it won’t sound like a 5E3.

The 5F1 and 5F2a have .02uF coupling caps, the 5E3 has .1uF. Big difference there. The 5F1 does have a tiny OT, but the 5F2a should be a little larger. I have a Tweed Princeton in a 1x12 cab and it has plenty of bottom end, but it won’t sound like a 5E3.

– Powdog

What Powdog said......

Thanks a lot, guys. I wonder why my Princeton clone sounds that weak in lows through the Deluxe cab with a 50w AlNiCo that has plenty of bass with the 5e3.

You can build a 5F2a circuit and use a SE OT rated at 15 watts with a 6L6 power tube and you’ll have plenty of bottom end while still retaining SE harmonics at breakup.

I know that those amp designs are not rocket science but still I stay away from that amount of electricity. I think I‘ll just sell the Princeton (head) and save for another Deluxe. I so wanted to love the very small amps but I just don’t. Had a Silverface Champ once. Same. Gretsch 5222. Same. Vibro Champ XD. Same. Obviously they aren’t for me. Learned it the hard way.

Below 93db, you will hear less bass than there actually is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

Aside from that, those amps should have as much bass as any. The range of an electric guitar is around 100hz to 4khz.

Hmmm, now I wonder if a tube swap might bring some more bass.

Besides one 12AX7 and one 6V6 it has a rather unusual 6Z4 rectifier tube (the current small Chinese version).

A solid-state rectifier will give you cleaner, tighter bass. There's nothing in those amps to limit bass. In fact, the bigger Fender amps usually have some of the bass deliberately rolled off. BTW, are you miss-matching impedances when you plug into the other cabinet? I'm not at the shop right now, and I don't remember what the speaker impedances of those little Tweed amps was. Later Champs are 3.2 ohms.

I think it’s built with an 8 Ohms OT and so is the speaker in the Deluxe.

I wonder how they arrived @ 3.2 ohms instead of more convention 4 ohm Not a lot of difference, really

I have been told that If you measure resistance of a 4 ohm speaker you get a reading of 3.2 ohms. Impedance is a different measurement.

I have a Super Champ with good bass but it is slightly modded. I replaced the speaker with a Weber 15 watt bass speaker, installed a bigger OT, replaced the power tubes with JJS 6v6's.

A super champ is a 18 watt amp isn't it?What OT did you put in?

Register Sign in to join the conversation