Other Amps

NAD ‘64/‘67 Fender Showman Head

Also, the Fender Musical Instruments under the Fender name makes it a post 1966 CBS amp, but it's had a lot of fiddling done so it's hard to say. The caps and wiring look like pre-CBS. All I can tell you for sure is that 022897 is an 8 ohm, Single Showman output transformer. I'm sure others here can read the date codes on the transformers...I never bothered to memorize them because I don't care when, just what.
The cabinet seems to be from April '64. One would expect a '64 Showman to have a 125A30A output transformer, or a 125A29A if it was a Dual Showman.

– Billy Zoom

Thanks, Billy, as always! I truly appreciate your help. Guys on the Surf Guitar 101 forum who are really into this era of Fender amps who have access to the date codes and other info verified that it was a '67 Showman chassis in a '64 Showman cabinet and not a Dual Showman. It's all good as long as it sounds amazing.

I don't plan on plugging this puppy in until it's been to a vintage amp tech next week to give it the once over. I'll likely get the tech to restore the missing tubes, rebias and whatever voodoo is needed.

I want to pair it up with a tone ring 1x15 cabinet to play it as it was meant to be played. I am most likely going to put the Gomez El Sonido and 2x12 cab up for sale as I don't want to alter it as it was intended with the El Sonido. I'll probably go ahead and get a tone ring 1x15 cabinet made at Beaver Bottoms or RA Custom.

Put back to original specs and going with a single 15" with the proper ohm rating, this will be a killer amp! You meant 100 watts, right?

Finding a single Showman is quite the coup!

– Windsordave

Yup! LOL I had it right the first time, had a brain fart and changed it to 1000 - now back to 100, thanks for the head's up!

I was looking at these when I was looking for a Fender style cab but no idea if they are any good or not. I never got one.

http://thecabguy.com/cabs.php

– BuckyBoy

Thanks for the head's up, much appreciated! I bookmarked their website.

An update:

I took the Showman head into my local vintage amp tech. After a cursory look at it, he said some typical parts that fail over time have been upgraded, so that's fine. He's going to check out the current tubes and replace the missing ones (or replace all 4 6L6s if necessary. He'll let me know how it's going next week.

A minor change in plans...

I went on a little road trip to Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD today. Lots of used gear (great, good, and not-so-good). The folks there are always willing to give a very reasonable discount as well. I recalled the last time I was there, I noticed a few blonde Fender cabs under other cabs. I thought it might be worth the trek out from Frederick to see if they possibly had a 1x15 cab. They didn't.

However, they did have three supposedly early '60s Fender Bassman cabs with Oxblood grilles.

The manager, who sold me my blue sparkle '65 Mustang a while back, told me that I could have my choice of the three for $260 (+ $15 for tax).

The first one I looked at was an early '60s rough tolex cab, but it was missing the handle, missing the Fender logo, missing the tilt legs, and was in pretty gnarly shape.

The second cab I looked at was a smooth tolex that was missing the same things as the rough tolex cab and was pretty much exactly in the same shape.

The third and other smooth tolex cab had the Fender logo (raised, not flat), the tilt legs, and was also missing the handle. I decided to get this one. The logo was probably added later on or maybe this amp is not a legit Fender cab. It really doesn't matter in the end.

So the plan for now is that I will use this Bassman cab for my El Sonido until I can find an early Bassman head down the road. I'll remove the speakers and baffle of the El Sonido cab and put in a 15x1 speaker and baffle and use it with my Showman.

Bassman cab photos:

Those C12Q's are '63. Nice.

Those C12Q's are '63. Nice.

– spike

Cool! My birth year. Thanks, Spike!

That's a lot of wire. Where's the fiberglass?

I agree it's probably a '67, but the eyelet board and those blue caps look like a '64. Somebody was very inspired.
How do you plan to match your amp to that 4 ohm cabinet? You can rewire it to 16 but not to 8 ohms. You'd have to replace those speakers with two 16 ohm speakers and wire them for 8 ohms.

That's a lot of wire. Where's the fiberglass?

– Billy Zoom

I bought the Bassman cab from a used gear shop - I guess the previous owner took out the fiberglass for some reason. I'll replace the fiberglass.

I agree it's probably a '67, but the eyelet board and those blue caps look like a '64. Somebody was very inspired.
How do you plan to match your amp to that 4 ohm cabinet? You can rewire it to 16 but not to 8 ohms. You'd have to replace those speakers with two 16 ohm speakers and wire them for 8 ohms.

– Billy Zoom

So the plan for now is that I will use this Bassman cab with my El Sonido head until I can find an early Bassman head down the road and eventually sell off the El Sonido head.

I'm going to remove the speakers and 2x12 baffle from the El Sonido cab and put in a 15x1 speaker and baffle and use it with my Showman and eventually sell off the two 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

Any luck finding that 15" tone ring baffle in your loft?

I've got a line on a JBL D-140F 15" speaker.

The Oxblood grill cloth on that cab is probably replaced. That cab should have the gold sparkle cloth. Nice cab though, and nice amp!

Yup, I’ll probably keep the oxblood on this one. Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation