Other Amps

Best 6L6’s for a Deluxe reverb

folks, I'm re-tubing my amp and I'm trying to find the best 6l6's for my 1972 fender deluxe reverb. I play a tenn. rose with few effects (a zvex super hard on and some delay)...

I'm thinking of TAD 6L6 WGC-STR...

I was just gonna go with the middle of the road tubes, but I've been playing for a few decades and my band has been playing out more, so i figure i should start paying attention to this kinda stuff.

I know it depends on the application, so here is what my band has been up to.

thanks for the advice!

Hey Buddy - Deluxe Reverbs typically have 6V6 power tubes. Has yours been converted to 6L6?

here's the label, I am not well versed in this stuff.

OK, so they are 6L6. Never mind.

Well that's an odd one. Maybe your amp got the wrong tube chart, I've never heard of a stock Deluxe Reverb with 6L6's.

you're right, i checked the current tubes and they're 6V6...huh...well, is the rest of the graph right? because I'm going to replace everything. already have 2 pairs of 12AX7's picked out and a Mullard 12AT7... i just need the 6V6's and the 5U4GB

Hmmm....I just double checked my Deluxe Reverb and the tubes are definitely 6V6. The Fender website specs 6V6, as do several (on line) aftermarket tube sets for this amp. Is there a chance that the wrong label somehow got into your amp?

Hmmm....I just double checked my Deluxe Reverb and the tubes are definitely 6V6. The Fender website specs 6V6, as do several (on line) aftermarket tube sets for this amp. Is there a chance that the wrong label somehow got into your amp?

– Viper

...or perhaps it's not a Deluxe Reverb???

haha, it's definitely a deluxe. I have 2 friends with the same amp and their's say 6V6...so im pretty sure it's the wrong label.

TAD seem to have a pretty good selection process for new tubes, they're pretty trouble-free.

But NOS 6V6's are not that expensive yet, worth taking a look at KCA NOS tubes' site, for example.

And get a NOS 5U4 too, they're really much better NOS, and easy to find at affordable prices. Current production rectifier tubes are very hit or miss.

The problem you might have with using 6L6 in a Deluxe Reverb is that the 6L6 tubes draw more current for the filaments and your power transformer might not want to handle that.

Dang that is odd... never a stock Deluxe w/ 6Ls, altho some were converted, but really not much difference heard.

I love TAD tubes.They're filled with this stuff....

Na,not really but they may make your amp seem it's on the juice. :)

A little late to this party but I run JJs in mine and am very happy with the results. They are a little heavier duty than most 6V6s and some have commented that they are perhaps a little closer to a 6L6. The new 6V6 Tung-Sols seem to get a lot of good comments as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation