Other Amps

63 Fender Blonde Bassman Volume Question

was wondering about discharging the caps to avoid electrocution and so I ran across this video, looks simple enough to do:

I never bother except with SVT's because they don't bleed down, but you can just short them to the chassis with a screwdriver. It won't hurt anything...that's an internet myth.

I never bother except with SVT's because they don't bleed down, but you can just short them to the chassis with a screwdriver. It won't hurt anything...that's an internet myth.

– Billy Zoom

Awesome thanks! will do!

I Finally replaced the capacitors! had a few hours to spare so decided to work on it.

OMG! the sound is Night and Day difference! its finally playable in the living room and the quality coming out of it is second to none!

Big thanks to all of you guys for all your help! I honestly could not have done this without your expertise.

the amp sounds clear as day...bright and chimey as a fender amp should with beautiful low end thump and grunt that Ive been so desperately wanting. no more static and crackle sounds and the "bogged down, muddy" sounds is gone!

So let me start off with what I noticed from under the dog pan (now that I have a better grasp on what to look for)... As I was inspecting the Caps, I noticed that some looked as if they were leaking! there was oxidization popping out of several caps and it looks like any more time with the amp running like this and those caps would have exploded or melted or something...(see in the pics)

as I was replacing the caps with the new F&T caps I did notice the "size" difference between the two, and as nice as it would have been to go the sprague route, these worked out just fine...I measured, cut and soldered them into place pretty quickly...since im used to working on small electronics, soldering these huge parts together was a breath of fresh air.

Literally took me longer to set up, get the area nice and prepped for working and disassembling the amp head than it did to replace the parts.

since I was pressed for time, I just dedicated the time to replacing the caps themselves...I left the resistors in place since they looked perfectly fine to me. need to replace those random mini caps on the top but for now they all looked fine.

I also added a layer of thick foam tape to better keep the caps in place instead of them vibrating around when the sound gets too loud.

A huge difference since the first day I got it with the incorrect tubes and the bleeding capacitors...now this amp is truly what I was expecting when I first laid eyes on it...theres still some more mods obviously like adding a grounded 3 prong power cable and replacing the rest of the small caps but for now, she's sounding great.

Nuff said...heres the pics.

Heres The link to the rest of the pics...(cant seem to post multiple pics in one reply)

Link

Finished the Job...the bias caps are now soldered in place and the amp is running perfectly! sounds so much more rich and clear. amazing how such an easy job of replacing all the capacitors can make such a huge difference.

Again, Thank you all so very much for all your help!

Now, onto the ground cable and hopefully Tavo will chime in to talk about bringing the voltage down as stated previously.

I think im going to have to invest in one of his pedals as well...I just cant get that setzer overdrive tone with my Strymon Riverside.

The speakers seem fine to me but I may also change out the stock ones for some vintage celestions and thicken up the speaker cable.

Equipment wise, Im running a Gretsch Hot Rod and that insane 60ft cable. would love to complete the package with the Roland Tape Echo but wow is that little thing expensive!

The light sabers just made you 5% cooler :)

Ya if you can solder.. get those astrons out(and realize you'll be using 2 E-caps to replace the duel Astrons on the circuit board), but please please leave the blue molded caps in there. If they are all good, doing their job then you could ask for a better capacitor. Even if you got new blue molded sozos, those caps need near 300hrs of current running through them before they'll ever bloom and give you the dimension of the originals. Oh and for the bias cap, up it to 100uf-100v. When its all done.. lets chat about keeping the amp on 110V instead of 120v. I got one of these Brownie gig masters for my vintage amps.

http://www.amprx.net/upload...

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

sweet! so all is done (kind of) I just saw that you recommended the 100uf bias cap...I just installed the 50umf that the kit supplied...ugh!

one last issue regarding the amp...

now that all is said and done, I'm having this incredibly annoying Amp Buzz...the Buzz actually sounds worse coming from the treble knob (as seen in the video).

heres the link:

I can't believe I have to ask this again a year later, but did you ever replace the power cable in this amp? That may solve your noise problem, and it will definitely make the amp saver.

The buzz sounds an awful lot like an amp that's biased way too hot. What's the bias set at?

I hate to harp on the same things over and over, but those are like basic amp maintenance, and should be done right away when you buy a vintage amp.

Register Sign in to join the conversation