Other Amps

63 Fender Blonde Bassman Volume Question

The bolt circled is the bottom part of the screws on the top of the amp.

They are known as chassis straps. The chassis hangs from these bolts, then it slides out of the cabinet.

never mind...I just found a nice tutorial:

BTW: here are my power tubes

I'll get to work on that tomorrow! thanks for your help! man, I have a lot to learn!

Those Ruby Power tubes are totally wrong for this amp (yes they are grand for surf and big clangy cleans..but nahh, nahh do it right).. replace w small bottle Tungsol 5881 reissue (NOS are waaay more expensive, but if you have the coin why not?) or tube amp doctor 6G6WGB and rebias. You'll drop down a few watts and the amp will break up easier in the upper mids yet stay nice and tight in the lows. And seeing your caps, yes the electrolytics must be replaced...but you can carefully slide off the astron carboard sleeves and put them over the new caps be they sprague atoms or ... it will let you keep the retro look.

well took apart as you guys suggested...

heres the final pics of the innards...looks pretty clean and pretty original to my aesthetic eye...I could be completely wrong though.

this last one says "made in Russia" 025/12 AX7...

Those Ruby Power tubes are totally wrong for this amp (yes they are grand for surf and big clangy cleans..but nahh, nahh do it right).. replace w small bottle Tungsol 5881 reissue (NOS are waaay more expensive, but if you have the coin why not?) or tube amp doctor 6G6WGB and rebias. You'll drop down a few watts and the amp will break up easier in the upper mids yet stay nice and tight in the lows. And seeing your caps, yes the electrolytics must be replaced...but you can carefully slide off the astron carboard sleeves and put them over the new caps be they sprague atoms or ... it will let you keep the retro look.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

are the caps just no good? in what way does that affect the sound? just want to know is all

I just ordered some Tungsol 5881 reissues ...is this why the darn thing is melting my neighbors dogs face when i crank up the amp to "2"?

what do you think of the rest of the innards?

I can't comment on the originality of the electronics, but surely someone will chime in. Those big orange electrolytics are certainly old though (and super cool)!

More importantly, this amp appears to still have a functioning ground switch (and "death cap"). You'll want to get that removed. Does it still have a two prong power cable?

The 5881s will quiet it a little, but only incrementally.

I can't comment on the originality of the electronics, but surely someone will chime in. Those big orange electrolytics are certainly old though (and super cool)!

More importantly, this amp appears to still have a functioning ground switch (and "death cap"). You'll want to get that removed. Does it still have a two prong power cable?

– Otter

yes sir! the deadlier, the better the tone! :/

(Just Kidding)...they are pretty cool looking however.

I like tavos idea of sliding that cardboard cover over the new caps (when I get around to switching them out)...

Seriously, don't wait til you "get around to it". If that power cable has two prongs, get it replaced. Anything else can wait.

It's insane that guitar center would sell it like that.

It also doesn't appear to have a bias adjustment pot. You're going to want one of those, especially if you change the power tubes.

– Otter

when was the last time you played a blonde bassman and took large bottle 6L6's and replaced them w reissue tungsol 5881 tubes that really only give you about 23 watts. (I ask this rhetorically not a pointed neh neh neh thing) When you have the presence almost dimed, the headroom drops and this amp will easily break up at 2 on the volume w a preamp hittin the front.

are the caps just no good? in what way does that affect the sound? just want to know is all

I just ordered some Tungsol 5881 reissues ...is this why the darn thing is melting my neighbors dogs face when i crank up the amp to "2"?

what do you think of the rest of the innards?

– erick lopez

all those astron caps are about 30yrs too old. They should be replaced but keep them in a safe place, it will keep your amp resale value higher when you might ever sell it. Collectors want these things.

Electrolytic caps HAVE to be replaced if you want to enjoy your amp the best way possible. I dont think they have to be sprague but I like them in this particular amp. F&T and Illinois caps are good too.

check out this article on GADs ramblings about his step by step task of changing out the caps in his 6G6-B, this way I dont have to ramble.He had a typical wrong value of filter caps on his blonde bassman. You on the other hand need to replace the original E-caps. side note: technically you could take off all the coupling caps and measure them, put back the ones that are fine..but its just easier to replace those (other than the blonde amps w the blue molded caps, those hardly ever go bad and they sound the best IMO) If you take your amp to tech you can show him this link below too, it takes care of many arguments w hippie amp techs. http://www.gad.net/Blog/201...

when was the last time you played a blonde bassman and took large bottle 6L6's and replaced them w reissue tungsol 5881 tubes that really only give you about 23 watts. (I ask this rhetorically not a pointed neh neh neh thing) When you have the presence almost dimed, the headroom drops and this amp will easily break up at 2 on the volume w a preamp hittin the front.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

I've not played any blonde bassmans, and I know you're the expert, but a difference of a few watts is incremental when you need to reduce the wattage by a factor of 10 to get a volume reduction of two. I don't care if you put el84s in that thing, it'll never be a bedroom amp. Especially not when pushing two v30s

Giving it a proper bias adjustment would make a bigger difference. Who knows what that thing's biased at

I've not played any blonde bassmans, and I know you're the expert, but a difference of a few watts is incremental when you need to reduce the wattage by a factor of 10 to get a volume reduction of two. I don't care if you put el84s in that thing, it'll never be a bedroom amp. Especially not when pushing two v30s

Giving it a proper bias adjustment would make a bigger difference. Who knows what that thing's biased at

– Otter

nope noooo not an expert, experts are wieners. Just really involved in a torrid affair w the blondes I'm pretty sure you're more versed in electronics than I am, seriously I'm just a determined bonehead. ps. I'm guessing our bedrooms are different cuz I have a wife and two kids and I play the blonde all the time set at 1, bass 2, treble, 4, presence 8. ESPECIALLY w a closed back 212 cab. Those damn open back 112s though sound everywhere. Mind you I'm not talking about blackface bassmans here. I have a bassman in the bedroom, one in the living room and one in the shop. all blondes. I like blondes :^)

docent seem too bad to replace...i solder electronics all the time [as a hobbyist].

hows everything else/

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx....

– erick lopez

The light sabers just made you 5% cooler :)

Ya if you can solder.. get those astrons out(and realize you'll be using 2 E-caps to replace the duel Astrons on the circuit board), but please please leave the blue molded caps in there. If they are all good, doing their job then you could ask for a better capacitor. Even if you got new blue molded sozos, those caps need near 300hrs of current running through them before they'll ever bloom and give you the dimension of the originals. Oh and for the bias cap, up it to 100uf-100v. When its all done.. lets chat about keeping the amp on 110V instead of 120v. I got one of these Brownie gig masters for my vintage amps.

http://www.amprx.net/upload...

The new 5881 tubes just came in...WOW what a difference! Volume is much tamer and now I can actually play in the room without the neighbors dog flipping me off!

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Next on the list is replacing those caps...

Get those old toilet paper rolls outa there! If they go, they could take an output transformer with them and seriously kill the collector value of your amp. If you've never done it yourself, that's the wrong amp to start on. If you must do it, mind the polarities and those neg terminals on the filter caps don't just go to an eyelet...there are grounds under there that need to stay hooked up.

That's a very loud amp unless you get a BZ Multi-Watt mod.

I think I may finally have time to do this cap job...was looking at Sozo's 500v Vintage Mustard capacitors : Link but don't know which capacitors to get and how many??? do I need to change these as well???

I think I may finally have time to do this cap job...was looking at Sozo's 500v Vintage Mustard capacitors : Link but don't know which capacitors to get and how many??? do I need to change these as well???

– erick lopez

Eric you do NOT want mustard sozos, you want Blue Molded Sozo for coupling caps (if one of those blue mallory's was leaking but they arent please leave them, they are the sh$t! why replace them?) https://www.cedist.com/prod...

BUT for these E-caps you have circled you cant use coupling caps for.. you need cathode bypass caps for the spots you circled (including the bias cap which needs to be upped to 100uf-100v) Use Sprague Atoms in these spots.. If you can find NOS Illinois caps (now made offshore) they are fine too.. but Sprague sound good. you will need 4 on the board as each one of the astrons are double caps in one sleeve.. just one on the small board for the bias cap. https://www.cedist.com/prod...

Those small ceramics should be dumped for Silver Mica replacements, IMO..but not needed..new ceramic are fine, but change em regardless.

ps. remember the filter caps below the chassis in the dog pan like I mentioned above, you may as well take care of that too. Most important to do that job.

So, been really busy with work and haven't had time to do the cap job on my amp...I have been playing it once or twice a week but lately for the past week or so...the sound has been getting dull...sounds almost muddy at times which it never was...

Also, the last time I plugged in, I kept getting a tiny shock when touching the pickup coil on my Gretsch Hot Rod filtertron! an annoyance really but I don't want it getting worse...like wife growing older without a husband worse!

any ideas?

As I said months ago (post #32), your amp appears to still have the ground switch and death cap (which you then made a joke about). Does it also have a 2-prong power cable? Get that changed.

yeah, joking aside...but yes, its a 2 prong power cable.

Like I said, it's insane that guitar center would sell it that way. They probably marked it up and called it "all-original". Get that fixed. It's like driving without a seatbelt.

Register Sign in to join the conversation