Other Amps

63 Blonde Bassman Replacement Speakers

Hi, Looks like I need to replace the speakers in my 63 Bassman cab. Anyone suggest a good modern speaker that works well with the 63 Bassman head? Thanks Steve

Those WGS ones are good for a price. Weber is better but of course cost more. Lots of good chonices I would say. 63 may be been their Oxord era, which were ok but not like killer or anything

If you like the way they sounded, get em reconed. Old Jensen C12N’s are the bomb. If they’re Oxfords and you want a new sound, the Weber 12F150’s are pretty close.

Eminence's Allessandro sig speakers are a pretty damn great Jensen C12N replacement.

Some dude named Brian has had good luck with Celestion Vintage 30's. - that's what are in my '63 (came that way), and they do sound pretty good.

Either Vintage 30's, or new C12Ns.

celestion alnico golds...closest thing to quality of old alnico jbl's...in terms of quality!!

alnico mag . but it handles higher power rating...so guitar/amp tone rings true...also has great efficiency and great deep (not boomy) low end

caveat- pricey $$$...but a rolls royce/jag xke of a speaker

cheers

ps- and unlike the lower powered celestion blues (vox ac30), not automatically british sounding...just a great sounding quality hi fi glorious speaker...beyond uk-usa "tone" labels

I really liked the Celestion Vintage 30s in my 63 Bassman.

I don't have too many brand loyalties, but I find that Eminence always has something that gets me the sound I want, and for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure if it's the sound you're looking for, but the Alessandro speaker is super. Dean Zink recones my early Jensens and makes them right. I think Gerald Weber can do it with NOS cones. I also really like those early Oxfords, before they changed the specs.

I don't have too many brand loyalties, but I find that Eminence always has something that gets me the sound I want, and for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure if it's the sound you're looking for, but the Alessandro speaker is super. Dean Zink recones my early Jensens and makes them right. I think Gerald Weber can do it with NOS cones. I also really like those early Oxfords, before they changed the specs.

– charlie chitlins

I got the Oxfords in my ‘63 blonde bass man rebuilt and they sounded superb.

Thanks for these suggestions. These are the speakers that are in it now. There was no sticker on both of them. Any idea what these could be?

I can't see the numbers. The brand if probably in the 1st 3 digits of the bottom number, Here's how to find out: Link

OK thanks!...it is 328418..so it codes to a Utah speaker...never heard of that before!

On par with Oxford. Gibson used those a lot.

Either Vintage 30's, or new C12Ns. These are both better sounding than the other speakers you're going on about.

Thanks for these suggestions. These are the speakers that are in it now. There was no sticker on both of them. Any idea what these could be?

– senorocho

Those are what came in mine. Thought they were oxfords. If you don’t need originality, Billy has a good point. He knows his stuff!

I concur with Billy. Love those V30s!

Modern Jensen C12N's are almost as good & half the price. I don't care for the other modern Jensens, but C12N's are really good.

I'm presently playing a 212 cab w Scumback Scumnico 65w speakers, and a 1x12 w a Tonetubby Nashville (75 watt alnico hemp cone) and am in love! V30's are heaven if you can get the 444 cone version from ipswich england, but thats some work I know. I've got two cabs w those and they will be buried with me :)

I purchased a 62 2x12 cab that has re coned Utah’s.. Any good?

Register Sign in to join the conversation