Other Amps

63 Bassman 6G6-B output transformer blown! Any recommendations fo…

Unfortunately the OT of my '63 Bassman 6G6-B developed a short between the primary and secondary. Mercury Magnetics makes a replacement model: FO50BM-1. I have one on hand, slated for a future build, so I installed that for the time being. It sounds good and I'm happy with it.

I called Mercury Magnetics to inquire about their transformer restoration service to have my original OT rewound. They charge $350 not including shipping to/from. That's pretty pricey, but it sounds like they do a meticulous job.

Does anyone have recommendations of other high quality, reliable service to do a rewind?

Have any of you used Mercury to do a rewind an care to share your experience?

I spec the Merc Mag Tone clone for my Blondeshell Amps that are based on the 6G6-B 63' blonde, these guys are the only ones making a spec production Blonde Fender Bassman OT, and it HAS to be right.. These generic all in one bassman OT builds are fine for blackface but not the blonde. This gentleman boxer is special! If the OT or PT blew in my own 63' Bassman I would swap in the Tone Clone MM in heart beat. MM has been around since the 50's they know what they are doing even if they've not been in the audio side of things as long.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/f...

Guys, thanks for the recommendations, but I have a Mercury Magnetics replacement installed already!

What I’d like are some recommendations for rewinding services if anyone has used one. I want to get my old original OT rewound.

Probably very expensive and will perform worse but people want what they want.

Guys, thanks for the recommendations, but I have a Mercury Magnetics replacement installed already!

What I’d like are some recommendations for rewinding services if anyone has used one. I want to get my old original OT rewound.

– Craig B

Maybe not relevant, but a friend of mine used to have a Music Man 212 back in the early '90s. I don't recall the exact model, but it was tubes all the way, not a hybrid like another mate's 410. Anyway, the transformer broke during a gig and the MM amps were discontinued, and the Norwegian distributor couldn't help with replacement parts. Our local go-to guy (who used to fix anything) just shook his head, 'cos this OT was nothing like anything available. Eventually, he found a company in Germany who did rewiring, and IIRC they'd actually been looking for one like this that they could reverse-engineer (apparently, there had been a few requests for replacement OTs for MM 212s). But by then my friend had gone ahead and bought a new amp, since the MM had spent ages in the shop. So when he got the call telling him that his amp was fixed, he didn't really need it, and he sold it to the previously mentioned guy with the 410 (which never really sounded any good anyway).

However - the amp sounded nothing like it used to. So I'm afraid guitarcapo may be right...

Anders

Register Sign in to join the conversation