Other Amps

5F1 Champ build

A buddy asked me to put together a Champ for his son. Sent me a box of parts, some from a kit. Nice stuff, should sound killer.

Sockets, jacks, pots and transformers all bolted down.

Circuit board done.

Something new to me. TAD filter caps. Usually I’d shy away from anything TAD but these look like rebranded F&Ts.

Initial wiring done.

Yep,that’s meGave my son the DRRI that Powdog built the birdseye pine cab for then he said he wanted to employ Ethan to build him a small amp he could take to school and church and a 5F1 was exactly what he wanted...no effects ,just volume. I thank you again good sir!!!

Yep,that’s meGave my son the DRRI that Powdog built the birdseye pine cab for then he said he wanted to employ Ethan to build him a small amp he could take to school and church and a 5F1 was exactly what he wanted...no effects ,just volume. I thank you again good sir!!!

– Michael Williams

You bet.

All done. Cook it up tomorrow.

Front panel wiring.

Everyone should build a Champ.

Everyone should build a Champ.

– Afire

Absolutely. I didn’t care for the hookup wire that came in the box and had to drill out some of the holes on the chassis (and sand down the circuit board a little so it would fit) but an easy and fun amp to build. Hey, if I can do it........

Had time to start today.

Usually I’d shy away from anything TAD

Why is that?

Usually I’d shy away from anything TAD

Why is that?

– WB

Just personal preference and experience. TAD tubes are the same as GrooveTubes, sourced and relabeled import tubes. They don’t make anything. About the same quality as Ruby Tubes.

I know guys that love em. Use them over and over, every time they replace their power tubes. I ask “why do you need to keep replacing power tubes?”. I have big Fenders that have had the same power tubes for 20 years.

Your preference and experience may vary, and that’s a beautiful thing.

That’s about it. Ran a bunch of tubes thru it today and they all sound pretty good. Ship it out next week.

The Champ circuit is fun to modify and tweak to suit your taste. Add a choke. add a switchable brightness cap. Maybe a switch changing bypass cap values. Play around with rectifier tubes. Bias and plate resistors etc. Leo's circuit wasn't magic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation