Other Amps

57 Deluxe Reissue

I tried the Mission amps volume mod and hated it. You lose everything that makes the deluxe what it is. In the end I went for uprated trannies so mine will run 6L6s as well, with a rectifier swap. More headroom, and with an efficient speaker it's way loud. Ended up with a VVR, but if I was going to do it again I'd try a pre phase inverter master volume.

– Uncle Daddy

For home/bedroom use the various volume mods work quite well. You lose some of the interactivity, but the amp isn't really loud enough to gig - my 5F2A tweed princeton is louder and punchier than my 5E3. Part of the issue with a 5E3 is maxed out it doesn't 'brickwall' like other amps and get more saturated/square-wavy. It actually gets quieter and squishier the harder you hit it, Very cool as long as you don't try to ask it to do more than it wants to.

Most people like really bright speakers with a 5E3. You roll off some of the mushy bottom end, and give some detail to the top end with a speaker that would be ridiculously shrill is most amps. Favorites include the Celestion Blue, Weber 12A125A and the Mojo AV12C.

I tried the Mission amps volume mod and hated it. You lose everything that makes the deluxe what it is. In the end I went for uprated trannies so mine will run 6L6s as well, with a rectifier swap. More headroom, and with an efficient speaker it's way loud. Ended up with a VVR, but if I was going to do it again I'd try a pre phase inverter master volume.

– Uncle Daddy

I guess then I just don't like that muddy raw sound of a tweed Deluxe. It seemed like there was very little headroom as well....which is probably why Leo used a 12AY7 preamp tube. I was very disappointed with my 5E3 build and thought I had done something wrong because it sounded so bad.....but after checking voltages everywhere it was what it was. The Mission Amps volume tone mod saved me from tearing it down and making some other amp with the parts. Personally I also like my master volume after the phase inverter like Matchless does it. Seems a lot more transparent to me that way.

I've built a few Spitfire and Lightning clones that I like a lot. Totally different than a tweed Deluxe I know, but more suitable to my style.

Just be sure to use 12AY7 instead of 12AX7 Fender uses in reissues in V1 spot. Fender or a clone, doesn't matter, me thinks.

– ChesterTheThird

I know this is two years old, but just picked up a ‘57 and want to know what would happen when I switch the tube to a 12ay7....

I know this is two years old, but just picked up a ‘57 and want to know what would happen when I switch the tube to a 12ay7....

– Matt Vogt

You get a little more range on the volume control(s) before the amp breaks up. Amps behaves the same once you really turn it up, but you have a little more adjustability, and at least the impression of a little more clean. (which is deceptive really, because as you lower the gain with the AY7, you lower the volume too...)

Try it and see if you like it, a preamp tube is cheap!

Ya, I checked it last night. It has the ay7 already....I’m wondering if the volume pots are the ‘wrong’ type(linear vs audio tapered). Like the HRD series amps had linear tapered pots, and switching them out for audio tapered pots made them a lot more useable. Is there a visual way to determing wether or not the pots in the delux are linear vs audio tapered?

Great thread, never played a 57 tweed RI, I'm going to keep an eye out for one.

Ya, I checked it last night. It has the ay7 already....I’m wondering if the volume pots are the ‘wrong’ type(linear vs audio tapered). Like the HRD series amps had linear tapered pots, and switching them out for audio tapered pots made them a lot more useable. Is there a visual way to determing wether or not the pots in the delux are linear vs audio tapered?

– Matt Vogt

The schematic shows audio taper. Do you have a multi meter?

– Matt Vogt

maybe you're looking for clean that just isn't there. A 5E3 is a big, glorious overdrive pedal with a speaker.

maybe you're looking for clean that just isn't there. A 5E3 is a big, glorious overdrive pedal with a speaker.

– WB

The 5E3 Clark that I used to own had a Weber 12A100 in it. I tried out several speakers, and with that one, the amp had absolutely glorious cleans.

That said, there was very little clean, and at low volumes, like under 3 on the volume knobs.

Like WB stated, this amp is pretty much a heavenly distortion pedal with a speaker in it.

Low volume cleans to die for IMO, then LOUD and wonderful distortion. Think Neil Young's distortion, it doesn't get any better, but it is LOUD LOUD LOUD.

– Matt Vogt

The 5e3 pots work more like a voltage divider. Changing the taper won't do much in reality. The received wisdom is to turn it up to the point of breakup, and then control the dirt with your guitar volume.

Or get a 2x10 Super.

– WB

It’s not the lack of clean, its that I can’t get it to 3 without clearing the room. I think it’s just a matter of learning to use it.

The 5e3 pots work more like a voltage divider. Changing the taper won't do much in reality. The received wisdom is to turn it up to the point of breakup, and then control the dirt with your guitar volume.

Or get a 2x10 Super.

– Uncle Daddy

Ya, I think that’s what I”m learning.....

Thanks for the input guys!

It’s not the lack of clean, its that I can’t get it to 3 without clearing the room. I think it’s just a matter of learning to use it.

– Matt Vogt

Oh yeah? Well I can clear the room at one. And it has nothing to do with being too loud. Faster than an Eagles song at Round-Up.

Not sure if this will be useful to any of you but this guy demonstrates how the controls interact to get different tones that are available. This is a clone but the design is the same so it should represent a Fender Tweed Deluxe -

This last one is in Spanish so if you can read and understand Spanish that's great but if you can't, you can still see the settings and listen and get an idea -

I managed to tame mine a bit for house playing by adding a Robrob modmod which is copied from the EC Tremolux. It's designed as a 1/4 power switch, but I went further down to 1/10th power, which sounds a lot but only cuts the volume by a half, due to the logarithmic relationship between volume and power. The cost is a little top end, which some might say is no big deal. It's 2 resistors and a switch, so the outlay is around 20 quid.

https://robrobinette.com/5e...

http://www.tdpri.com/thread...

If you like that glorious one trick the 5e3 does (I sure do) but wish more of it, the "tweed deluxe on steroids" approach can get you there. Bigger transformers, various circuit mods.

I've heard a few, some good, some less so. Then the Victoria double deluxe, which on paper looked to be perfect, but which I did not like at all in person.

The one that does impress is the L'il Dawg Dlux. Can take 6L6s. Mine has a custom built Mather 1x15 cab, emi legend 151 speaker. I've tried 6L6s, much prefer it with 6v6s. It's allegedly 14 watts. Sure does not sound like it. Biggest sounding 14 watts I've heard yet.

For contrast, I'd owned an EC tremolux for years, and before that, a Victoria Trem de la Trem, their take on one of the tweed tremolux circuits, but with a 15 inch speaker. I loved the cleans and clarity of the ECT. But a bit boxy, not always loud enough to stay clean. Whereas the TDLT had little clean headroom, but excellent tone. A larger 5e3.

The L'il Dawg somehow does it much better. Certainly way louder. With more than a little headroom. And given the bigger volume, the amp stays clean up to quite loud. Much as I appreciated those other tweeds, the Dlux is in a different category.

This is my "Real" '57, found in an attic in Dos Cabesas Arizona (right across the Playa from me) The cabinet was restored by Gregg Hopkins,

Oh yeah? Well I can clear the room at one. And it has nothing to do with being too loud. Faster than an Eagles song at Round-Up.

– Don Birchett

LOL.......SLOL........That made my wife laugh too......

I did this to my '56 and it works well, along with being minimally invasive. The Normal channel has no tone control, which is cool with me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation