Other Amps

57 Deluxe Reissue

Hey guys, I'm GASing for a new amp and have narrowed it down to 2: a 59 Bassman RI or a 57 Deluxe RI.

57 Deluxe RI's don't come on the used market very often and I've been thinking of getting one for a while. This one is a 2007 model, in good condition and it's a good price.

I am struggling to find any reviews on them. I know that many of the clones like the Victoria amps get great reviews, but nothing on the 57 Deluxe RI.

Any thoughts? Let me know if you've used one and how it compares to the clones.

For context I already own a 65 DRRI and a Princeton RI. So I have 'cleans' taken care of in the tone department.

I only need something to play around the house... but volume is not a problem as my property backs onto a park, and my neighbours are retired and mostly away travelling.

My current thought is that I can always get a Bassman later since they are more prevalent on the used market. Maybe I should get the 57 Deluxe?

Also curious how it might compare to the new Edge Deluxe that Fender released at NAMM.

As always, thanks for all of your invaluable input!

Put a pedal in front of your Princeton. A Radial Tonebone Classic or Trimode is nice.

I had the Fender "Low Power Tweed Twin" RI, and it was an outstanding amp. Sold it to one of our stellar members, Tommy59 here on the GDP.

Only reason that I sold it was that it was way to LOUD for what I need, but I do miss it. Tommy gigs for a living, and has told me that it's his "go to" amp, and has been gigging with it for several years.

I also had a Clark version of the Tweed Deluxe, and loved that little amp. Those "boutique" companies are great, but it seems that the Fender versions are just as good sounding, and hold their value more, just because of the name.

If you can grab a Fender Tweed Deluxe at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Another Tweed Deluxe is on my bucket list. Love the sound and feel of these little monsters.

Thanks for the input. I want both amps but the wife would never go for it.

If I had to stagger this, it seems logical that I would get the 57 Deluxe while it's available, and get the more ubiquitous Bassman at a later date.

I love rich Hendrix like tones that I've seen come from a cranked Bassman and a Strat. Also has lots of headroom for my Gretsch. Not sure how the Gretsch will sound with the 57 Deluxe.

Thanks for the input. I want both amps but the wife would never go for it.

If I had to stagger this, it seems logical that I would get the 57 Deluxe while it's available, and get the more ubiquitous Bassman at a later date.

I love rich Hendrix like tones that I've seen come from a cranked Bassman and a Strat. Also has lots of headroom for my Gretsch. Not sure how the Gretsch will sound with the 57 Deluxe.

– Tony Palombo

I have one and use it as my home amp. The Deluxe is handwired vs. printed board of the Tweed Bassman RI and latter is simply too much amp for what you are looking at IMHO.

Back to the 57. It's a Fender Custom Shop creation and I love mine. Every guitar I ever tried sounds fabulous through it. Mostly I play it clean and do drive with a pedal but if you turn it up above 3 on the scale it starts to break up as you expect it, especially with the stock 12AX7 in V1 (which is not historically correct). Big plus is the looks, I'm allowed to leave it in the living room.

I have a Silverface Deluxe Reverb when I play outside and it's just a different beast. A mix of both could be my perfect amp. (Brownface Deluxe?) But of course I like having both. If you can get one for a good price I wouldn't hesitate. You can sell it for good money any time. Good luck.

The bassman RI is loud as hell and you have to get it pretty high to get some grind. You'd be much better off w/ a dlx style amp for "around the house" if you're looking to get some grind at a reasonable volume. The dlx breaks up relatively quickly. Though both are tweed amps they are quite different from one another.

Fender's tweed deluxe RI has screen grid resistors. Even more squishy. Yuck.

I guess you could call a 6G3 (Brown Deluxe) in between a tweed deluxe and a deluxe reverb. But then again you could say that about just about any 10-20W tube amp. It's hard to imagine two more dissimilar amps.

A brown deluxe sounds better than both, IMHO.

I haven't played the genuine Fender reissue, but assuming they're about the same as the original circuit and the countless clones, then they have very little clean headroom. I'm kind of a clean freak, so it didn't work for me, but it seems that most people find that to be one of their most endearing qualities. And my clone was definitely a great, rich sounding amp, just too dirty for my purposes. Based on what you say you're looking for, I think you'll be happy with a Deluxe. One of my first amps was a tweed Bassman RI, and it was very loud and plenty clean, and it doesn't sound like that's what you're shooting for.

Two things on the Tweed Deluxe. IMO, what little "clean" it has is just heavenly, especially through a P12 style speaker. Not very loud when clean.

As far as break up, yes they do that early, but the break up at its' best, is when it's cranked, and this little fellow is loud then.

The Bassman reissues are loud, loud, loud. I'd go with the tweed Deluxe, but unless that used Fender Tweed Deluxe reissue is a steal I would go with one of the smaller boutique builders. There are some great builders out there who sell direct and will do a pt to pt handwired Tweed Deluxe w/ top notch parts for under 1K.

Thanks for all the input guys! Much appreciated.

The 57 Deluxe is selling for $1400 CDN. Which seems pretty reasonable given that Fender is selling the new Edge 57 Deluxe for over $3200 here... when they come out.

The Bassman reissues are loud, loud, loud. I'd go with the tweed Deluxe, but unless that used Fender Tweed Deluxe reissue is a steal I would go with one of the smaller boutique builders. There are some great builders out there who sell direct and will do a pt to pt handwired Tweed Deluxe w/ top notch parts for under 1K.

– Gretschadelphia

If you are sure it's a 5e3 you want you can go buy a replica and save some bucks maybe. But those have no good re-sale value if it ever comes to this. A Fender CS amp will hold its price way better.

Fender's tweed deluxe RI has screen grid resistors. Even more squishy. Yuck.

I guess you could call a 6G3 (Brown Deluxe) in between a tweed deluxe and a deluxe reverb. But then again you could say that about just about any 10-20W tube amp. It's hard to imagine two more dissimilar amps.

A brown deluxe sounds better than both, IMHO.

– Kap'n

A nicer alternative is to just build a tweed Deluxe from a kit and add the Mission Amps volume Tone mod. Boom. Instant 6G3 hand wired.

A nicer alternative is to just build a tweed Deluxe from a kit and add the Mission Amps volume Tone mod. Boom. Instant 6G3 hand wired.

– guitarcapo

Actually, no it's not. It's just a 5E3 with better volume controls. Which sounds like the small modification FMIC did while "Edging" their reissue.

A 6G3 deluxe has - Fixed bias - about 50V more plate/cathode voltage - Negative feedback - A long tail (vs. cathodyne) phase inverter - Tremolo

A Tweed deluxe can be a bit of overkill for around the house. Mine sounds glorious, but to get into breakup at room temperature can be a problem. I tend to use my Champ instead. If you did go down that road, then I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of headroom. You can use the redundant volume control to clean up the output. Backing the tone knob off a bit does the same. It takes a bit of perseverance to get used to the interactive controls.

The impression I get from the video sound bites I've heard is that the Deluxe is pretty much a one-trick pony without a great deal of versatility. Do I have that right?

Yes, IMO. That said, it does that trick well.

Just depends on the sound that you're after.

Fantastic clean at lower levels, amazing break-up crunch and gnarly overdrive sounds. That's already 3 tricks.

Plug it into an external cab and you get even more. My opinion.

Fantastic clean at lower levels, amazing break-up crunch and gnarly overdrive sounds. That's already 3 tricks.

Plug it into an external cab and you get even more. My opinion.

– sascha

Agreed. The "interactive" controls are amazing, but not for a quick change between the two sounds.................unless one borrows Neil's "Wizzer" LOL

I basically turn the knobs of my 5e3 to the desired position, and forget about it. After that I got all the sounds from quite clean to hairy and to roaring distortion with a turn of the volume pot of my guitar and the pick attack.

It definately has a quick change between two sounds. Don't think I would find use for whizzer but I'd really like to try one...

How do the kits sound compared to the reissue?

How do the kits sound compared to the reissue?

– Tony Palombo

It depends on what you put in the kit. I don't know what Fender uses, but the sky's the limit when it comes to choosing components. I'd say the three biggest factors are going to be output transformer, tubes and speaker. I always use Mercury Magnetics Tone Clone transformers. Speaker is a pretty personal decision, though I always just go with whatever is closest to what was originally used if it's a replica of an old amp. Tubes, again personal, but NOS is nice if it's in the budget. After that, just go for good quality everything. Some will say you must use carbon comp resistors, a certain type of capacitor, others say it doesn't matter. I'm somewhat agnostic, but do have my own preferences based on what I think I can hear. I changed out orange drop caps for Mallory 150 caps on a tweed Deluxe I built and I thought it sounded better after the change.

Just be sure to use 12AY7 instead of 12AX7 Fender uses in reissues in V1 spot. Fender or a clone, doesn't matter, me thinks.

I tried the Mission amps volume mod and hated it. You lose everything that makes the deluxe what it is. In the end I went for uprated trannies so mine will run 6L6s as well, with a rectifier swap. More headroom, and with an efficient speaker it's way loud. Ended up with a VVR, but if I was going to do it again I'd try a pre phase inverter master volume.

Register Sign in to join the conversation