Other Amps

56 5E6 Bassman restoration

well done! that's a keeper!

A wonderful restoration JB. What a great find. Enjoy

Excellent save JB!

Wow. Nice work! And a bias trimmer installed too.

I've never really paid much attention to the 5E6 Bassman. Maybe I should... I have built a few lo-po Twins, some Supers and some 5F6-A Bassmans. I gravitate towards the cathodyne inverter models too. I do have a lovely homebrew 5F6-A waiting for a cab but like the look of the 5E6 because it's kinda like a simplified 5E8-A.

I suspect you may be able to use a single GZ34 rectifier in there if you wanted a bit more punch.

Like the low power Tweed twin. Or Super/Pro/Bandmaster with bigger transformers

http://ampwares.com/schemat...

– Kap'n

Yep, I know. Harp player friend of mine has a two input bassman too, it's a little dirtier and more compressed than the later ones, cool amp.

Very nice! When you played the first notes after the restoration, did it sound like,"Thank you"? I bet it sounds fantastic.

Beautiful work, JB!!

Like others (above) I really envy your skills and knowledge with the electric/electronics here.... I can do the cabinet stuff (it's what I do) but that's the easy part.

Wonderful work JB!

Great thread--Nice work JB. Great find to boot !!

I would love to try an old bassman cranked up with my 55' 6120. Just like Eddie played. I bet it sounds amazing.

Looks great! It's good to see so much care taken with these treasures!

Very stylish. Great amp.

Thank you guys so much - Fred, you are welcome to, any time! I like the circuit a lot. It still sounds good at moderate volumes. I haven't cranked it up high yet, because I want those old Jensens to get used to moving around again. Tweed Supers used to eat P10Rs for lunch. I'll bet Bandmasters did, too.

WOW JB,that turned out beautiful man!! Looks good in the new suit.

Wow! What a great find and restoration! I wish the deville I had years ago was actually a bassman. Now that it's fixed up, are you gigging with it or keeping it at home?

Wow. Nice work! And a bias trimmer installed too.

I've never really paid much attention to the 5E6 Bassman. Maybe I should... I have built a few lo-po Twins, some Supers and some 5F6-A Bassmans. I gravitate towards the cathodyne inverter models too. I do have a lovely homebrew 5F6-A waiting for a cab but like the look of the 5E6 because it's kinda like a simplified 5E8-A.

I suspect you may be able to use a single GZ34 rectifier in there if you wanted a bit more punch.

– JimmyR

Yes, Jimmy, I could use Ins or two GZ 34s too! It's nice to have options. The 5E6 cabinet is also one inch smaller. No mids control, but the bass and treble controls have a good range of adjustment. It seems like setting all of the controls at "8" and riding the guitar's volume control works amazingly well.

Wow! What a great find and restoration! I wish the deville I had years ago was actually a bassman. Now that it's fixed up, are you gigging with it or keeping it at home?

– Cirecc

I hope to gig with it! All of my stuff gets used out in bars. I figure, what good is all that tone, if no one hears it?

Register Sign in to join the conversation