Other Amps

410 tweed deluxe sound!

So about a year or so ago, I picked up a “used” tweed deluxe hand wired reissue for a song. It came in the original box with all the paperwork and cover still in factory sealed bags. Not a scratch on it, but the power lamp would need to be flicked to come on(bulb died soon after). I picked up an attenuator from Bob Howard, and figured while I was screwing around with it, I would run the TD through a 410 Marshall 1965 cabinet with original speakers. Wow! What a nice sound. Especially with a set of P90s in it. Even at living room volume, it sounds great!...

Makes me kinda want to transplant it into a tweed bassman cab.

Glad the attenuator is making itself useful, Matt.

Speakers matter -- one reason why there are confirmed piggyback amp types -- they can experiment with many different speaker configurations.

For me the ulitmate speaker shoot out is the 80/100 watt Fender reverb chassis/head thru

2-15s Dual Showman Reverb 2-12s Twin Reverb 4-12s Quad Reverb 6-10s Super Six Reverb 1-15 Vibrasonic Reverb (once described to me as a 'sonic boom'

I love 10" speakers, for Fender amps, 4X10 is "it" for me. I have a tweed deluxe clone in a tweed 2X10 super cab, and with the big hollowbodies it's a lot more useful to me than any 12".
for my ears and the sound(s) I'm after, the built in low end rolloff in light duty 10" speakers is perfect with hollowbody guitars. With 12's it gets woofy and feedbacky much faster.

Four 10" speakers seems to have more bottom end to me than a pair or 12" speakers. My theory is that the whole baffle shakes when it comes to low end and a 4x10 has a larger baffle than a pair of 12's.

I’m using a closed back cab too, so that will also add to the bottom end. I should A/B the cab with a 212 cab and compare...

For Bob Howard, I put a Tweed Champ into a custom made Tweed Deluxe cabinet. It always sounds good when you increase the speaker firepower and move more air. (I suspect it's the Fletcher-Munson effect at play) Either way, it's awesome! Congrats!

For Bob Howard, I put a Tweed Champ into a custom made Tweed Deluxe cabinet. It always sounds good when you increase the speaker firepower and move more air. (I suspect it's the Fletcher-Munson effect at play) Either way, it's awesome! Congrats!

For my money, 4x10 is THE sound, especially for club gigs. Least beamy, most sound dispersion, bass doesn't fall apart, go way up the neck and the sound stays fat. Now that we have to play so quietly in clubs, I'm getting very tempted to put my Princeton Reverb chassis in a 4x10 cab. This might be the ultimate club amp.

Ya, I’m pricing out a Tweed bassman cab and some Jensen C10Q speakers from Mojotone. And it comes out to about $605 with a custom cutout and wiring harness for 4 speaker cabs. I don’t know much about the Jensens though. I just figured they were the ones Mojotone uses in their 5F6-A kit.......I have plenty cabs with Celestions, but none with Jensens. The speaker that came with the 5e3 was an Eminence ‘specially made for Fender’ speaker, that I replaced with a Maverick to be able to use it without an attenuator. Then I bought Bob’s attenuators anyway .

I figure if I’m going to pull the trigger, I can start to price shop some things. I’ve also thought about just putting the amp into a head box, and just using the cabs laying around, but what fun is that?

some Jensen C10Q speakers

You can get much, much better ceramic low-ish power 10 inch speakers for a couple of $ more - I can highly recommend WGS's "Veteran 20" speakers. They're fantastic in a 4X10, and not expensive at all.

I’m not familiar with the WGS speakers. Have you compared them to the Jensens? Can you describe how they differ from the c10q?

Register Sign in to join the conversation