Other Amps

2 different speakers in a 2 speaker amp

Maybe a dumb question but I noticed that some people like to have different speakers in 4 speaker combos or cabs....like having 2 ceremic and 2 alnico speakers in a Super Reverb for instance.

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to have 2 different speakers in a 2 speaker combo or cab ?

Nope. Covers more sonic territory. I regularly mismatch speaker types. You do want to match them power/impedence/efficiency wise. My test cab has a Weber alnico Blue Dog and a ceramic Silver Bell. Sounds mahvelous.

I was thinking of putting a celestion gold G10 alnico to replace one of the Jensen C10Q’s in a Vibrolux reverb clone. I know they’re mismatched rating and efficiency wise but I do love those celestions.

What do you think?

I have the exact same speakers as "Pow Dog" in my Fender Twin Supersonic cabinet, and he is right. It sounds absolutely amazing. Best thing I have done amp wise for tone. Definitely try this combo or something similar. You will thank yourself.

You definitely want to match power/ impedance/ efficiency, or you will end up with serious problems with your amp.

The G10 is more sensitive than the C10Q (98db vs 95db), so the Celestion might sound louder than the Jensen side by side.

You definitely want to match power/ impedance/ efficiency, or you will end up with serious problems with your amp.

– Kevinhd1200

Really?

I thought if one was 35w and the other 40w it wouldn’t be too bad. As long as the ohms are correct..,how would it be bad for the amp ?

Sorry. You are correct. As long as the ohms match and are correct for the amp, you'll be fine.

Vic Mason of Mohave Amp Works has been doing ths for 20 years. A cab with a Celestion H greenback paired with a Celestion Blue was a favorite.

https://www.theguitarsanctu...

I've combined a Celestion10" Gold Alnico with a G10 Greenback in my Vox AC10 with very pleasing results.

A friend of mine runs two Golds and two ceramic Celestions in his 59 Bassman and it sounds wonderful.

It's a very valid approach IMO.

It can be very cool, and I mix up speakers in the same amp quite a bit, but keep an eye on speaker efficiency, a couple of dB makes a big difference - enough to not hear one of the two speakers when you're playing.

Thanks all for the input. Might give it a go and see how it sounds

Matchless did that with the DC30 way back when. I once built a tweed Super with a 12" and a 10" speaker - can't remember what I used but the guy who bought it loved it.

My latest cab has a wraparound baffle with a 15” and two 8” alnicos. The 8’s have two different cones and fire at 90 degrees to the 15.

My latest cab has a wraparound baffle with a 15” and two 8” alnicos. The 8’s have two different cones and fire at 90 degrees to the 15.

– Powdog

That is awesome!

Register Sign in to join the conversation