Other Amps

1st nerdy Chuck Berry gear question

It's just plain weird. Lennon's harmony seems....random. Plus, what about chucks face at the beginning? His expression seems to be 'oh no' when the band come in

– Vince_Ray

Well....there's a guy standing right behind him hitting a tambourine on one and three.....

I think Chuck shows amazing restraint on this. I know I would have felt like punching tambourine dude in the face, or at the very least yelling at him. Not to mention Yoko's howling. Bill Burr makes a pretty great argument about Lennon/Yoko, look it up on Youtube.

Well....there's a guy standing right behind him hitting a tambourine on one and three.....

I think Chuck shows amazing restraint on this. I know I would have felt like punching tambourine dude in the face, or at the very least yelling at him. Not to mention Yoko's howling. Bill Burr makes a pretty great argument about Lennon/Yoko, look it up on Youtube.

– WB

Well yeah, I think he was saying 'let's get this over with'. I hate seeing celebrity greats getting together to play and not bothering to rehearse or sort things out. Chuck was justified in being peeved. Not keen on looking anything up on YouTube about Yohn and Joko though

They also played Johnny B Goode, but fortunately, Yoko's mic was now turned off, and unfortunately, John's amp as well. Regardless of the goofiness of that group behind him, I know that John was in total Rock and Roll fan glory, playing Chuck Berry songs with the Real Deal.

Keith Richards ran a line off Chuck's Dual Showman input and into a Mesa Boogie mic'd in an isolation room for the concert part of the movie Hail Hail Rock & Roll. He didn't tell Chuck he did that, either

To me one of the enduring joys of Chuck Berry is that nobody seems to know exactly what amplifier he played on a particular 50's record. I even think it's fairly debatable what guitar he might've played in many cases. A little bit like Carl Perkins, he seems to have been relatively gear agnostic, at least in the early days. The point is if you gave that man six strings and alternating current, Chuck Berry guitar tone was going to come out the other end no matter what.

Live in Prague: from left to right, the brother-in-law, CB and two Fender amps. Apparently the rider called for two Dual Showman amps but they could only find one, so the Twins were substituted on one side of the stage. Maybe they thought he might not notice — but he did.

Register Sign in to join the conversation