Other Amps

1964 bassman

I need help figuring this new amp. I bought 1964 bassman ebay number 224113311397 looks like great shape stamp late may1964 . Picture of chassis there seller says 6g6 b curcuit ? I not sure

I have confused about rectifier . I know they stop using 1962? Is there a series diodes suppose to be on the curcuit? I can't tell if it's missing from the shot pics. There seem to be what looks like a baising pot? I will have the amp next week. I like to send it to someone that can add mod to be able to bias and if its missing the rectifier mod it. Also check fuse to hot make sure safe. Did setzer amp have these series of diodes? If u can explain what I need to do based on whaT u see on this board? If anyone knows some info wlwoild be appreciated. I added the ebay listing number . The amp looks beautiful and like it to be similar to what setzer uses 1963.. this one is 1964 but may I believe they changed over curcuit late August of the same year? Any info ?

The amp has a SS rectifier, It doesn't show in the photos because it is obscured by the front lip of the chassis. Someone put a bias pot on the bias board so one isn't needed.

I'd say check the bias and leave it alone.

Thanks so much ... I intend to keeping this loud box !

Nice amp! It’s been serviced and has a grounded three prong cord added. Enjoy it!

I have a solid state rectifier in my blackface Princeton reverb. It works great, and really helps stiffen up the bass. Having said that I'm not sure what it would sound like in a bassman, as far as changing it's tone. But it is an easily reversible mod.

Thanks ... for great info.. I believe just 4 months later this curcuit was changed. August of 1964 and main reason I went for this one. I owned peavey tube amp and fender hot rod deluxe past. Anyone know if this amp louder at 1 or 2 then the hot rod deluxe? I always liked the bassy and warm sound fender amps.

I need help figuring this new amp. I bought 1964 bassman ebay number 224113311397 looks like great shape stamp late may1964 . Picture of chassis there seller says 6g6 b curcuit ? I not sure

I have confused about rectifier . I know they stop using 1962? Is there a series diodes suppose to be on the curcuit? I can't tell if it's missing from the shot pics. There seem to be what looks like a baising pot? I will have the amp next week. I like to send it to someone that can add mod to be able to bias and if its missing the rectifier mod it. Also check fuse to hot make sure safe. Did setzer amp have these series of diodes? If u can explain what I need to do based on whaT u see on this board? If anyone knows some info wlwoild be appreciated. I added the ebay listing number . The amp looks beautiful and like it to be similar to what setzer uses 1963.. this one is 1964 but may I believe they changed over curcuit late August of the same year? Any info ?

– Pedalhead

I tried to find the item on ebay, not there so I cant see the pics. Brian Setzers 6G6-B amps range 62-63 based on magazine interviews and even with those, his stories change a bit but in general they stay in a specific corral, Yes Setzer prefers the post tube rectified 62' 6G6-B, these are solid state rectified and for good reason. There is a much more solid response with gretsch hollowbodies w these blonde bassman circuits w the SS rectifier. Plank plinkers like the spongier feel of a tube rectumfires. The 6G6-B stayed around till mid summer, and there is even a pre blackface 64' 6G6-C circuit that is super rare but the changes were in the bass channel and Setzer only used the bass channel back in the earliest era of the Straycats because of its extra gain stage, as he was not yet using the Roland RE-301 space echo but rather depending on both the Boss DM-2/3 and the memory man by ehx, these were politely tucked around the bottom edge of his cab. When he moved over the RE-301 space echo he was relying on the preamp coloring and boost of that unit into the normal channel of the 6G6-B amp,with presence control opened up to remove the pwr sections negative feedback which reduces headroom and yields a more dynamic response from the players attack.

Didn't know there was c curcuit. 1964 blackface. Setzer tube choices claim to be tunsol 6L6 with 4 Chinese version preamp12x7? I did pick up for great price matched jan phillips 6L6 output tubes 50.00 ...

SS rectification is the way to go. Safer, more power, more bottom end.

6G6B's have solid-state rectifiers, which is a good thing. That amp has had all of the carbon-comp resistors replaced, which is also a good thing. A bias pot has been added...it looks like it's just in series, so adjusting will be a bit slow, especially with that bigger filter cap...but that's still all good. My advice would be to play your guitar through it & stop trying to over-think things. It should sound really good!

Great looking amp! Nice buy...I love the old blonde bassman amps. Are you going to get to matching 2x12 cab? The seller said he was planning to list it. -L

He Sold the one he had however i am now negotiating with guy selling a 63 or 64 blonde cab ... no speakers.. plan on getting v30s or greenbacks wire it in series with 12 gauge ... get me nice attenuator.. so I don't go deaf lol ...

Congrats on finding a cabinet.

I’m on the hunt for one as well. I purchased gasmoney’s ‘66 ab165 last July and have yet to play it. I check reverb occasionally and see heads and cabinets sold together, but not many cabinets. The one or two I’ve seen were “local pickup” only.

The other option would be to have one made from one of many sources. There seems to be some variety in regard to baffles and speaker selection.

I’m interested in experiencing it as it was intended in all its ragged glory before trying to shape into something else.

Any input/info is greatly appreciated.

Your collective knowledge is valued.

Congrats on your amp!

Here update on matching cab .. found one selling from rock n roll music in Chicago old stock from the the blue man group 60s fender blonde cab . I bought it cleaned up up up tolex and looks so amazing.. still have vintage look .. I don't like the speakers it came. 1 fender oxford blue bell and the other a emmmiance I know spelling it wrong. I ordered pair of jenson anilico magnet p12 8 ohms 40.watt with special bell (don't know if make any difference bell or not) .. waiting for them to come will.wire it for 4 ohms parallel .

Don't let local pickup only deter from trying to get it shipped .. these sellers just want make it easier from themselves don't blame.them . Just shoot them quick email and most reconsider. Don't let a great cab get away .. I been for while too that is great shape and harder to find now.. especially the 6os blonde ..

I almost went with a build source but .. I rather pay extra for the small amount of mojo 1960s cab.. don't know if the old wood makes any difference doubt it.. mostly looks . They are some great sources out there making cabs ..

Register Sign in to join the conversation