Other Amps

1961 Brown Deluxe versus 1965 Deluxe Reverb

Guitar.com asked me and my Tone Twins TV partner Ed to shoot a video to accompany my article comparing these two classic Fender Deluxe amplifiers.

Although there's no Gretsch content, I figured some of you guys might be interested in these two classic amps from Ed's collection.

Anyway, here's the video and a link to the article.

https://guitar.com/review/v...

Another great vid! Have to watch again tomorrow when there are less interruptions. I prefer the brown. Especially the rich clean tones. I know I'll be the odd one out on the trem but I love the roach. I think it is the one I heard on records and prefer the choppiness of it

Is there much difference in the cabinet construction?

G'day Frank.

I noticed the 5A3 thread got a bounce so I figured I post this one up too.

As I recall, both amps have pine cabinets, but the DR is a little wider. Ample room for a single 12" in both.

Hope you're keeping well and still enjoying your tweed Pro.

Also thru that brown Deluxe had the simpler trem circuit -- more complex one started with maybe the Vibrolux all the way thru Showman (except Bassman)?

Another great episode! I have more than a soft spot for Deluxes from any era and really like them all.

One question: When you mention the internally fixed mids on the Deluxe Reverb and refer to the scooped EQ with both bass and treble on 5 (therefore boosted), does the amp have a rather flat EQ curve with both tone controls all the way down or do they interact somehow and the curve always stays kind of scooped?

I'm no expert Sascha but my understanding is that setting bass and treble to zero results in something closer to a flat EQ curve.

Thanks, Huw. Following this, a DR through an external rather bass heavy cab and speaker could make for a flatter EQ amp without losing too much low end with bass and treble down. I never thought of that and will try it out.

Another great video Huw! Very cool! As a Deluxe lover I was happy to hear this comparison.
I have been thinking about selling my 1965 Deluxe to get a Brown Deluxe for a while now. But I have a Tweed Deluxe already so actually I don't need anything.... ; )

I'm no expert Sascha but my understanding is that setting bass and treble to zero results in something closer to a flat EQ curve.

– Shuggie

I've always wondered about that over the years, but never really found an answer ... like, how close would a 65 Princeton reverb be to a 6G2 Brown Princeton, if you set the PR's bass and treble controls to 0? (talking tone curve only; I realize the 6G2 has less headroom...)

My issue with black and silver panel stuff was not a lot of range in bass control. 0 to 10 not nearly as much difference as w/ other amps. Must have been a reason they had

Also thru that brown Deluxe had the simpler trem circuit -- more complex one started with maybe the Vibrolux all the way thru Showman (except Bassman)?

– DCBirdMan

vibrolux/tremolux had the same bias trem as the deluxe, the complex one was (2X10) super, bandmaster, concert, pro, vibrasonic, showman, twin.

Another great video Huw! Very cool! As a Deluxe lover I was happy to hear this comparison.
I have been thinking about selling my 1965 Deluxe to get a Brown Deluxe for a while now. But I have a Tweed Deluxe already so actually I don't need anything.... ; )

– Danman

"As Deluxe lover" - I have no reason to doubt you Daniel, but there's no excuse for bragging about it

I think you might like a Brown Deluxe a bit better than the DR. It does bridge the gap between the 5E3 and DR eras to some extent, plus you have fixed bias, different trem circuit and a hotter front end.

"As Deluxe lover" - I have no reason to doubt you Daniel, but there's no excuse for bragging about it

I think you might like a Brown Deluxe a bit better than the DR. It does bridge the gap between the 5E3 and DR eras to some extent, plus you have fixed bias, different trem circuit and a hotter front end.

– Shuggie

Sorry, I couldn't help it... ; )

I'm sure I will like it more indeed. Also because I love midrange and fuller, warmer sounds. They are very hard to find though, specially here in Europe....

Good video. I preferred the black 65 deluxe. Thanks

That was really well done, thanks!

I bought a 65 Deluxe used when I was in high school and have had it ever since, it's easy to dial in. I am intrigued by the brown face for the early breakup but more for the tremolo/vibrato that the "sweep" doesn't have to be as rhythmic.

Thanks Baba Joe & Curt.

kind of hard to understand them, their accents are really heavy. brown face for the win, how is there any comparison.

Sorry about that Tavo. I'll have a word with Ed about providing subtitles

Suprdave - and everybody else really - if you want to subscribe, please subscribe to Tone Twins TV as well as the Guitar channel.

Plenty more content like this on Tone Twins - and more to come.

Sorry about that Tavo. I'll have a word with Ed about providing subtitles

– Shuggie

Tavo is nuts, they are very easy to understand to this Northern California boy. Just hit the 'CC' button and you have your subtitles.

Thanks Shuggie, I already have subscribed to tone twins, thanks for the heads up though.

You guys do really great shows. Tavo just needs to get his Brit on.

I watch tons of YouTube amp vids, don’t know how I missed Tone Twins. I’m definitely hooked. Well done guys.

I’ve always preferred bias vary tremolo over the optocoupler, and Brownface over Blackface tonally. Your video really clarifies the difference. I’ll be directing anyone in question to this video. Merci.

Thanks Powdog. Praise indeed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation