On the 'tube

You have to love some Rockpile.

Rockpile on Danish TV in 1979. Billy Bremner is doing his thing, and they play some Chuck Berry, too. If you've got half an hour, there are worse ways to waste it.

Link

About as good as it gets. I have never been big on the whole tribute band thing but we have a Rockpile group around here. Seconds of Pleasure was my favorite album but oddly enough Edmunds does not like it. Maybe it's just memories of acrimony - breakup in 1981..

There's one Rockpile vid dated something like December 12, 1980 that's strangely muted... not usual live Rockpile energy ... then you realize just a few days after death of John Lennon which really hit the music world hard.

About as good as it gets. I have never been big on the whole tribute band thing but we have a Rockpile group around here. Seconds of Pleasure was my favorite album but oddly enough Edmunds does not like it. Maybe it's just memories of acrimony - breakup in 1981.. Terry Williams = great

There's one Rockpile vid dated something like December 12, 1980 that's strangely muted... not usual live Rockpile energy ... then you realize just a few days after death of John Lennon which really hit the music world hard.

I spent eight weeks on the road with them. Nicest group of guys and every night they gave 110%

I love this...saw it around the time I was learning "Cruel to Be Kind"

Love that band. Such left field gear choices! Hamer 8 string bass? Gibson Marauder with thru-body tailpiece? A wall of Marshalls played clean? Ah, the late 1970s…

I spent eight weeks on the road with them. Nicest group of guys and every night they gave 110%

– LarryR

This sounds like a story I would like to hear!

Ryan, as to your post about gear choice--I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the clip. I suppose it just goes to show you (I include myself in this) that most of us spend way too much time obsessing about gear and tone--these guys still sound better than I do 90 per cent of the time, even though I agonize about amps, speakers, tubes, strings, pickups, etc...

– reverb11

It was the Stiff Records/ Elvis Costello, Mink DeVille, Rockpile tour of 1978. I ran the stage for Mink DeVille. The guys in Rockpile were always super cool with me, always up for a good chat. Especially Billy and Terry. There was quite a bit of tension ongoing between Elvis, Willy, and the Showco sound and light crew. By the end of the tour in California, a lot of feathers were ruffled. The highlight of the tour for me was the show we did in Hollywood High School Auditorium. That was an amazing evening. It was brutally hot that night, the auditorium was a sweatbox, and Elvis Costello and the Attractions tore the roof off of the place. I was 24 years old and that tour is one of my Fondest Memories.

– reverb11

It was the Stiff Records/ Elvis Costello, Mink DeVille, Rockpile tour of 1978. I ran the stage for Mink DeVille. The guys in Rockpile were always super cool with me, always up for a good chat. Especially Billy and Terry. There was quite a bit of tension ongoing between Elvis, Willy, and the Showco sound and light crew. By the end of the tour in California, a lot of feathers were ruffled. The highlight of the tour for me was the show we did in Hollywood High School Auditorium. That was an amazing evening. It was brutally hot that night, the auditorium was a sweatbox, and Elvis Costello and the Attractions tore the roof off of the place. I was 24 years old and that tour is one of my Fondest Memories.

Ryan, as to your post about gear choice--I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the clip. I suppose it just goes to show you (I include myself in this) that most of us spend way too much time obsessing about gear and tone--these guys still sound better than I do 90 per cent of the time, even though I agonize about amps, speakers, tubes, strings, pickups, etc...

– reverb11

I’m sure they were as thoughtful about their gear as they were about their haircuts- but none of us would be caught dead with those today either!

What a great band they were!

Register Sign in to join the conversation