On the 'tube

Well, this is a hoot. Who wins?

What if? Indeed, the perennial question, isn't it? In the end, it's all speculation, a story that will never be told because it didn't happen that way.

Rick Beato always has cool things on his YouTube channel. I saw this listed on YouTube, but hadn't gotten around to watching it. Pretty cool! They were some very neat alternate spins on how different playing styles beyond the base playing style (Mr. Paige's playing) sound in a well known song. It does change the vibe of the song a bit IMO. Rick and Phil X (who the along with all of the Fretted Americana vintage guitar demo videos he used to do, has been Bon Jovi's lead guitar player for the past 9 years [after Richie Sambora got kicked out due to his out of control drinking]), did credible imitations of Peter Frampton, and Eddie Van Halen. Eric Johnson's playing style (done by the man himself), put a very interesting spin on the 'Stairway solo. The solo was much more fluid/legato than the other ones done by Paige, and in the style of Frampton and Van Halen.

To my ears, the Frampton version played by Beato fit the song best.

– crowbone

Agree

I think they all win, great to hear the different solos.

I think Phil nailed EVH, including the happy intensity. All were interesting.

All right, you kids ---- get out of the music store!!!

I saw this video the day after after it came out, it's an interesting exercise in what if's. I liked all three, but if I had to choose (and it's a difficult decision), I would pick Rick Beato"s Frampton style as first place. Second place would be Eric Johnson, and as much as I love Eddie Van Halen, I don't think his style fits the groove as well as the other two. Phil X really did nail EVH, apparently he's known for emulating Eddie Van Halen very well.

Did anyone else think the guitar mix was low especially on the Phil X take?

Really cool idea Rick had here. Phil-X is a MF'er on guitar. Too bad he couldn't have gotten EVH in on this. Eric sounds like Eric. Why wouldn't he. You would think he could have reached out to Frampton.

Really cool idea Rick had here. Phil-X is a MF'er on guitar. Too bad he couldn't have gotten EVH in on this. Eric sounds like Eric. Why wouldn't he. You would think he could have reached out to Frampton.

– Suprdave

Sadly, Peter Frampton retired due to a degenerative muscular disease.

Did anyone else think the guitar mix was low especially on the Phil X take?

– Curt Wilson

I did too, Curt. It was the first thing I thought when I heard it.

– crowbone

I had no idea. Well that sucks. I saw him a couple of years ago and he was a blowing me away. Such a monster player.

– crowbone

This ^

– crowbone

In case anyone hadn't heard about it, I copied the following info from Google :

"On 22 February 2019, Frampton announced he will be retiring from touring with his 'Peter Frampton Finale—The Farewell Tour' commencing on 18 June 2019 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, running through 12 October ending in Concord, California at the Concord Pavilion".

"In two interviews released on February 24th 2019, one with CBS News and one with Rolling Stone, Frampton, 68, said he had a degenerative muscle disease called inclusion body myositis, also known as I.B.M. The disease causes muscles to weaken over time but generally does not affect life expectancy".

Register Sign in to join the conversation