On the 'tube

Unbelievable vocal harmony here - you have to watch it.

Dave windsor sent me this and I was totally taken aback at the singing and the arrangement. I'm not a regular listener to barber shop quartets but this just blew me away. It's perfect in every way.

These fellows are members of other earlier quartets who have won the gold medal....some, more than once. The fellow on the right in the still pic is Jim Henry, a multiple winner as bass in several quartets and also as the director of the gold medal chorus, The Ambassadors of Harmony out of St Charles, Missouri. He directed them to 3 gold medals.

Here's a video of their '09 winning performance [approx. 130 men and boys] and it'll be a real treat for those of you who are fans of The Music Man. Just watch what unfolds as the song goes along. While there may be the odd professional musician in the chorus, barbershop chapters are considered amateurs. There's a great many thousands of so-called or self-professed groups calling themselves 'professionals' but compared to this chorus and many similar ones, they aren't even in the same league.

If you want further entertainment, YouTube The Vocal Majority and Masters of Harmony.

Will do Dave, I'm interested to see what else is out there. This all goes back to my Welsh roots where vocal choirs are very prominent so see a connection.

There's something special about well sung vocal harmony for sure Paul. I love both of these videos, lovely stuff. Since you said you're interested to see what's out there, here's some tremendous harmony singing, from a female group this time. There's a 'this'll give you goosebumps' moment a couple of seconds before the 3 minute mark. Link

Plenty of these ladies on youtube - if you like this one, check out their version of 'Something tells me I'm into something good' for a total contrast. Link

My late brother was a member of the Vocal Majority for many years. A tremendous organization of singers!

My dad used to sing Lucky Old Sun to me. Lovely to hear it again, exquisite version.

The term 'professional' should never be confused with a hallmark of quality- all it means is being paid for doing something. Amateur is a word that has become somewhat derogatory when it really means 'doing it for the love of it'.

My dad used to sing Lucky Old Sun to me. Lovely to hear it again, exquisite version.

The term 'professional' should never be confused with a hallmark of quality- all it means is being paid for doing something. Amateur is a word that has become somewhat derogatory when it really means 'doing it for the love of it'.

– ade

So true Ade. All too often the term 'professional' is mis-applied to groups performing for a fee. The top Barbershop choruses and quartets, while officially having an amateur status, are as professional as it gets.

We had an annual state barber shop quartet competition at our theater. Amazing voices. It may not be "your kind of music", but you can't deny the skills involved. Having listened to a lot of singing cowboys as a kid, I was well aware of groups like the Sons of the Pioneers---who counted guys like Roy Rogers and Ken Curtis amongst their ranks. You'll see/hear them in many John Wayne movies.

Taffy mentioned Welsh choirs (why does that word always seem misspelled?)---in the 1963 movie "Zulu", the Welshmen sing in response to the Zulu warriors. Their rendition of "Men of Harlech" will send shivers up your spine. Russian mens' military choirs are quite well known, also.

I'm just not crazy about the da-ba-da music used in some movies like Butch and Sundance, and I can't deal with collegiate show choirs as I dealt with them for forty years. No more Jazz Hands!

Three of the guys in my band are in the Alexandria Harmonizers, a local, 150 voice Barbershop chorus. They compete all over the world. Consequently our group's vocals are really good. The guys practice a lot. We've learned some Beach Boys tunes such as "In My Room" to make use of their talent and training.

I like Barbershop singing is small doses. The constant 7th chords wears on me after a while. Lots of discipline though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation