On the 'tube

They Are Saying Tony Joe White Has Passed

Tony Joe gave us some of our most iconic music. Poke Salad Annie, among others. Gone at 75.

I'm living on borrowed time.

Well,that's sad news indeed. Another great one gone.He was,is one of my greatest musical heros. RIP

True, I just got the following email from YEP records...

It is with deep respect and admiration that we announce the passing of legendary singer-songwriter Tony Joe White, he was 75. It was confirmed today by his family.

With a prolific recording and performing career spanning more than 50 years, his songs traversed many genres, including blues, rock, country, R&B, and Americana, which is an incredible testament to his versatility as well as to his roots.

A one-of-a-kind songwriter, his songs were covered by Elvis Presley, Tina Turner, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Joe Cocker, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Ray Charles, and countless others.

Glenn Dicker, co-founder of Yep Roc Records said, “Tony Joe White was a true American original. In everything he did he did it with his own unique voice. There was a gentle ease and flow that vibrated from the man. Always a positive vibe. We have been very fortunate to have been able to work with Tony Joe over these past few albums and years. We're grateful for all the wonderful music...and the hangs. We love you Tony Joe!”

His newest album, Bad Mouthin’, was released in September 2018, and features a blend of classics as well as five White originals, including two of the first songs he wrote—just before penning his breakthrough hits “Polk Salad Annie” and “A Rainy Night in Georgia” in 1967.

“If there’s anything like a line connecting everything that I’ve done, I would say it’s realness,” says White. “Even my songs that are sweet little love ballads —those are all real, inspired by real love and real life. Being real, being focused on what’s really going on around you, is something I learned early in my life.” Copyright © 2018 Yep Roc Records, All rights reserved.

Tony Joe was a local fixture here in the Nashville area for many, many years. It was always a pleasure to see him live... in the last few years, he would do local small venue gigs from time to time-- The Basement, 3rd & Lindsley, The Exit In, etc. At these shows I had the pleasure to meet the man a few times and casually chat-- when he found out that I was also originally from Louisiana a wry slight smile crossed his face. Tony Joe was cordial with fans, if they had the nerve to approach him-- despite his low-key presence offstage.

Also, he had the coolest damn guitar strap I ever saw in my life-- It was a custom El Dorado; made from a rattlesnake skin, and the snake's head was stuffed and mounted at the shoulder, with open mouth and fangs. Only someone like him could pull off wearing that and not look stupid.

RIP Tony Joe-- a true swamp-rock pioneer, and great songwriter.

As a tribute-- here's my all-time favorite TJW song:

"They Caught the Devil and Put Him in Jail in Eudora Arkansas"

Sad news. Here's a good color version of the song. RIP

So sad to hear this. He was a big favourite of mine -- played many of his songs over the years.

Oh no..... More sad news. Rest in peace, Tony Joe W. Thank you for some GREAT music.

Thank you, Richard for posting.....

RIP Tony Joe White, you will be missed. Sad day indeed, I just found out.

TJW was the real deal. RIP, indeed.

As young people, the folks we listened to on the radio and whose records we bought and played incessantly were almost invariably older than we, yet somehow our minds tend to "freeze" their memory at some point in the past.

However they are for the most part still older than we are, and it's all but inevitable that there are some who will precede us to the next gig.

Doesn't make the sense of loss any easier, though.

RIP, Tony Joe.

Truly, one of a kind.

Anything but an extraordinary singer, and certainly not a flashy guitarist, but he could write a song with a groove as wide as the Nile. One of my favorite TJW songs.

Bless you, Tony, for having shared such great music with us.

I remember hearing a live version of this that was just otherworldly.

RIP Mr. White. This is a inevitable bummer.

So sorry to hear this. I didn't listen to a lot of Tony until recently. If you aren't familiar with his work here are three I especially like.

"a groove as wide as the Nile". Beautifully put, Bob.

A story I heard was John Fogerty was talking about Swamp Music that CCR was playing at the time. Tony heard him and said something like, "Get many gators up in Oakland, John?"

That dude was on the other side of cool. RIP.

Tony heard him and said something like, "Get many gators up in Oakland, John?"

I know this is a thread honoring TJW, and I'm in for that purpose. Nor would I be a Creedence-basher.

But I didn't know from "swamp" (or swampy) music when Creedence emerged and claimed to be "born on the bayou." As a freshman in high school in central Ohio - knowing Creedence was from the SF bay area - I had no way of knowing if throbbing tremolo, a hypnotic beat, and a gruff voice comprised swampiness or not. So I didn't particularly associate CCR with the deep south, Louisiana and swamps, or cajun music. I just liked CCR on their own terms.

I had a "pen-pal" at the time in southern Louisiana, who I visited during a family vacation to New Orleans - and she took me on a tour of swamp culture that included some zydeco (before I'd ever heard the term) playing on a jukebox in a way rural crab shack. (Part of this tour included her driving us around at age 15 in a car with plates borrowed from another of the family's cars, presumably legitimately registered. In retrospect, I guess this was pretty authentic.)

There are surely dozens of ways to be musically "swampy," so no need to be judgmental - but I didn't hear a direct connection between the fiddles and accordians I'd heard in that crab shack and CCR's throbbing guitars.

I remember an article in either Guitar Player or Musician from the 80s - about the time "Centerfield" hit - wherein Fogarty admitted never even having visited Louisiana till years after CCR's slog through the charts.

Maybe he got all his swamp listening to TJW - who made his point way more concisely than I have in asking John about gators in Oakland.

I've always been a fan of both. As you say, on their own terms.

That wasn't meant to be Creedence bashing as I am too big of a fan for that. I just thought the comment was funny, RIP Tony Joe White. John Fogerty, glad you're still with us.

being from Louisiana, I feel like a part of my past is missing today. TJW was one of a kind and he will be missed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation