On the 'tube

The Stones in ‘64 — with Annie

England's newest hitmakers on the Mike Douglas show. The first song "Carol" is the only live one and all you can hear is Mick singing and Brian Jones' '62/3 (Waverly tuners, bound fingerboard) px6118 Anniversary. The rest of the songs are lip-synched/augmented with tape but fun to watch nonetheless, especially Brian making fun of Mick.

Addition: Here they are playing I Wanna Be Your Man. Keef seems to have a Hamony Meteor (with Harmo-metal "binding" ?) and P13s.

Also: Bo Diddley's I'm Alright

Very cool! The newest hitmakers were doing mostly cover songs.

Mike almost seemed to be making fun of them somewhat and what an awkward moment with those young ladies.

By their own admission, the Stones had tough first year over here... of course the Beatles led the way, but groups like DC 5 and Herman's Hermits, etc were getting more airplay. They even opened for the Hermits. Satisfaction was really the first big one and that was almost 1.5 years in to the Brit Invasion. But of course their time was yet to come.

Apparently this is what they sounded like when they mimed...

Some good footage there of the Stones miming

Some good footage there of the Stones miming ;)

England's newest hitmakers on the Mike Douglas show. The first song "Carol" is the only live one and all you can hear is Mick singing and Brian Jones' '62/3 (Waverly tuners, bound fingerboard) px6118 Anniversary. The rest of the songs are lip-synched/augmented with tape but fun to watch nonetheless, especially Brian making fun of Mick.

Addition: Here they are playing I Wanna Be Your Man. Keef seems to have a Hamony Meteor (with Harmo-metal "binding" ?) and P13s.

Also: Bo Diddley's I'm Alright

– lx

The Harmony guitar with metal binding is the Espanada H63. The Meteor guitar that Keith played was an H70.

Espanada

Meteor

However, Keith's had MOTS block inlays.

Register Sign in to join the conversation