On the 'tube

The Claw (REED/ATKINS)-VIDEO

My cover of "The Claw" by Jerry Reed, this time (for the first time on my YOUTUBE channel) very well accompanied by two fantastic musicians my friends:

Pippo Oteri on bass. Sergio Pulvirenti on drums.

The instruments used are

Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon Showcase Edition Fender Precision Ludwig Signet

Hope you like it. PAOLO

A good job on a difficult tune. You possess excellent playing skills. Playing your repertoire from memory will hopefully be the next step in your journey.

thanks for posting that. it was very enjoyable.

Thank you all, I'm really happy to have introduced my friends.

New videos will follow soon, I hope to learn more stuff without the help of the paper.

PAOLO

Eccellente! BRAVO!

Loved that Paolo!

I like that laid back feel too,everybody seems to want to play this tune at break neck speed,which kinda gets tiresome after a while,for me anyway.

I like it no faster than Jerry's version.

I also enjoyed this clip.

What sort of charts do you read during these recordings? Tab, maybe?

I agree with Higgy, I'm fed up hearing Reed and Atkins tunes played so fast they lose their meaning. Thanks Paolo for playing it as it should be.

Also we felt a calm right speed, we can highlight the details, JCHiggy and Paul (Taffy).

Geoguy, I'm reading Tab and musical notes together. Unfortunately, my memory is a little trained. And I am convinced, and I'll have to achieve the goal of eliminating the help card ......

PAOLO.

Also we felt a calm right speed, we can highlight the details, JCHiggy and Paul (Taffy).

Geoguy, I'm reading Tab and musical notes together. Unfortunately, my memory is a little trained. And I am convinced, and I'll have to achieve the goal of eliminating the help card ......

PAOLO.

– Paolo_Spadaro

I applaud your determination to wean yourself off reading from a chart. I look forward to future videos Paolo. I can assure you, once you play just one song from memory - and I mean long after simply memorizing it, when you begin to hear an improvement in your interpretation - you'll be amazed at the difference you'll both hear and see. Your body language will reflect how into the song you are compared to when you read from the chart where there is essentially, no body language.....this video being something of an exception.

May I suggest choosing a video of you playing solo and now learn it so you can play it strongly from memory. Comparing the two videos for yourself will be quite revealing. Good luck!

Very nice playing Paolo!

I'll echo what Taffy and Higgy said, Tommy Emmanuell bugs me the most in that department, he just plays so much stuff at 120 mph when it isn't necessary, just because you can doesn't mean you should... I'll get off my soapbox now.

You guys sound great! Thanks for posting this.

I love how you can actually hear Jerry Reed's personality in all of his songs. Even though this was a cover I still heard his personality come through.

Grazie Farmerbrown and BuddyHollywood

we're really happy!!!!!

Very nice playing Paolo!

I'll echo what Taffy and Higgy said, Tommy Emmanuell bugs me the most in that department, he just plays so much stuff at 120 mph when it isn't necessary, just because you can doesn't mean you should... I'll get off my soapbox now.

– farmerbrown

You hit a very big nail on the head for me Farmer. You bring up the biggest issue with too many of today's players, and top players at that. From what I've heard, this playing at breakneck speed and not being respectful of the tempo a song is rampant at the CAAS these days.

You bring up an interesting issue with Tommy Emmanuel being guilty of this bad habit. He didn't try that crap when he played with Chet!! And would've got an earful if he'd tried! The interesting thing I alluded to is that when he plays solo, he doesn't tend to do this, but when he's with other good players in a jam setup he goes nuts, often leading the way. When he pays attention to what he's playing and decides to put passion into a song, he's as good as they come. Wish he'd just stay with performing that way all the time. If he doesn't go nuts with the tempo playing with someone else, then nobody else will.....everyone looks up to him.

Paolo, your playing is never guilty of this bad habit and I appreciate that tremendously in your playing.

When I play, alone or with my friends ... the execution speed is almost natural, we make small changes sometimes, but in general we find the speed that we think is the right one soon enough. Especially we always agree.

PAOLO.

You hit a very big nail on the head for me Farmer. You bring up the biggest issue with too many of today's players, and top players at that. From what I've heard, this playing at breakneck speed and not being respectful of the tempo a song is rampant at the CAAS these days.

You bring up an interesting issue with Tommy Emmanuel being guilty of this bad habit. He didn't try that crap when he played with Chet!! And would've got an earful if he'd tried! The interesting thing I alluded to is that when he plays solo, he doesn't tend to do this, but when he's with other good players in a jam setup he goes nuts, often leading the way. When he pays attention to what he's playing and decides to put passion into a song, he's as good as they come. Wish he'd just stay with performing that way all the time. If he doesn't go nuts with the tempo playing with someone else, then nobody else will.....everyone looks up to him.

Paolo, your playing is never guilty of this bad habit and I appreciate that tremendously in your playing.

– Windsordave

Agree with Dave all the way. I don't listen to Tommy Emanuelle because of that one reason, can't stand his over fast playing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation