On the 'tube

Telefunken Copperhead Tube Mic vs Workhorse Mics like AT4033 and MK

So have you ever wondered what does a Tube Mic really bring to the table? How much does it change the sound? Well that is what I was trying to show in this video. About a year ago I went to B&H Photo Video and they have a fantastic room where you can switch between about 30 to 40 mics almost instantly and really hear the difference in them real time. It was eye opening to me....(Actually ear opening). During that process I fell in love with a mic that I thought was something I was really looking for that I didn't have in my mic locker for sure. A Tube mic, specifically the Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead. To my ears this my cleaned the table of all the mics that were in that room. (To be fully transparent I was blown away with the Manley Black Tube Mic too, but that comes with a $3500 price tag so that was out of my range).

So in this video I thought it would be nice for others who have never used a tube mic to listen to the difference tonally and see what it can bring to the table and might be something you would look into adding to your mic locker.

I used my friend Gwendolyn Sarah as the vocalist and I am on guitar (also recorded with the CU-29 and an Audio-Technica AT4041). The other mics she sang into were the Audio-Technica AT4033 and the Sennheiser MK4. I hope you check it out as she is an amazing singer and soon I will have the fully arranged song that we sample in this video. It is going to be epic with approx. 6 to 7 stringed instruments (12 String, Ukulele, Banjo, Mandolin, OM-28, D28, Bass, etc).

Let me know you thoughts on it and what other tube mics you really dig.

Thanks,

Scott

I hear more of a reverb with the tube mic. Sounds nice very open and clear.

I hear more of a reverb with the tube mic. Sounds nice very open and clear.

– Hipbone

I did put reverb on her voice. But I agree to me the mic really smooths things out and just gives it that fuller more professional sound. Taking nothing away from the AT4033 and MK4 as they are great mics and can be used on just about anything. I just thought this would show how you can get to the next level.

Vacuum tube mikes go back to Germany in the 1930s.

Actually they go back further than that. An engineer called Edward Wente, who worked for Western Electric, created the first tube condenser microphone around 1916. So you can actually say they originated in the US.

The operating principles of the condenser mic were first described in academic papers during the late 19th century, but since electronic amplification was still some years away, the idea remained theoretical until the advent of the tube.

However, Neumann is regarded as the first company to manufacture condenser microphones for general sale - sometime in the early 1930s.

Tubes really help warm up and liven up digital recordings. It must be a balance thing between the best of analog and the best of digital. I just had a mastering session over the weekend and the engineer used a Manley Massive Passive tube EQ and it totally transformed the sound of the recordings and brought out the best of everything. I started calling it the Manley Life Box.

Tubes really help warm up and liven up digital recordings. It must be a balance thing between the best of analog and the best of digital. I just had a mastering session over the weekend and the engineer used a Manley Massive Passive tube EQ and it totally transformed the sound of the recordings and brought out the best of everything. I started calling it the Manley Life Box.

– BuddyHollywood

I love the Manley mics, just not the price. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Register Sign in to join the conversation