On the 'tube

Ted Nugent Gibson Demo

Love this. Just him and his white Byrdland. I prefer single coils like P90s but on hollow bodies humbuckers aren’t bad.

“God Save The Queen” would sound good on this guitar.

I'm not sure about Ted Nugent myself but I sure wish Gretsch had made a guitar similar to the Byrdland. Solid top, extra short scale hollowbody mmmm.

As disassociated as he comes off sometimes, the guy can still pick up and throw down (on guitar).

I was a big fan of Amboy Dukes in the 70’s. Pretty much lost me with Cat Scratch Fever. But Hibernation, Lady Luck, Living In The Woods......love that stuff.

Well, my intention of this topic was not what he represents or doesn’t but was about his guitar and his playing. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

There I changed my post to be more about his guitar..I've always wanted a Byrdland.

Weren't Byrdlands always crazy expensive?

K

Weren't Byrdlands always crazy expensive?

K

– Konrad

Top of the line, so, yeah.

I do think for the style of music Ted Nugent plays, the Byrdland he has sounds great but I do prefer this one with Alnico V Staple magnet pickups. But both have their places.

I love 23.5 Byrdland scale. Had 2 of those Japanese Epi Byrds from around 10 years ago and they are great and pretty pricey now also. Word was they quit making them since they were cutting into sales of the $$$$ US Byrdland

it sure would be nice if Edwards or another of the Japanese Gibson-oid manufacturers would make one up. since i got my 22.5" Duo Sonic i've become mildly obsessed with short scales.

Uncle Ted can still get jiggly with it! I must be behind the power curve, this is the first time I've seen this guitar. It looks and sounds like a great guitar!

I wanted a Byrdland really bad, but as a starving student in 1980 I was way behind the price curve. But for $200 I could come pretty close.

Regardless of the Nuge's political/social views, he can still rip. There's no denying his skill as a player. I love in the end of the video when he says "I wrote that when I was 18."

I was enraptured with “Journey to the Center of the Mind” when it came out - it was like a cross between the raw energy of Blue Cheer and the technical skills of the prog to come, making it an introduction to a new form of music - and followed the Amboy Dukes through several albums. Two LPs remain on my shelf now, between The Allman Brothers and Axe by Randy Bachman.

Survival of the Fittest - Live was, is, and will evermore be one incredible live rock album. Ted was on fire, ripping it up with more technique than we were used to from rock guitarists - and the organist kept up with all the chops of any prog B3-slinger. The album was recorded at the Eastowne Theatre in Detroit, July 31 & Aug 1, 1970 - just a few months after Deep Purple created the template for what was to become heavy metal (in my opinion) with In Rock. I have to think Ted had heard that - and, of course, LZ1.

In any case, at the time Survival was recorded, I think the Dukes were "an American Deep Purple" (though in the wake of the Greatest American Rock Band thread, I hesitate to nationalize music). What I mean is that the Dukes were working from a very similar template - more technical, more overdriven guitar playing riff-based "evolved blues" at breakneck tempos, with a very heavy but capable rhythm section...and pyrotechnical, often-overdriven Hammond. At that point - on the evidence of that live album, if not so much the studio recordings - Ted and the Dukes were the equal of any of the great British hard rock bands. With a dash of American grit, I think.

I played that album to death.

Then the Dukes kinda disappeared, and next time I heard of Ted he was playing on the green between two dorms at Ohio Wesleyan University for some college function. I could see and hear it all from my window. I don't think it was the Dukes - and if it was the Ted Nugent band to come, they hadn't had the hits yet.

From his second coming with "Cat Scratch" onward, I just wasn't interested. Everything about it seemed dumbed down to a lowest common denominator, without the musical wit and adventurousness I'd enjoyed in the Dukes. However, his occasional interview in a guitar mag was always funny, and I thought of him as a unique and interesting character as well as a particularly inventive guitarist (whose shtick had kinda ossified and begun to parody itself through the years).

Of his eventual political, social, and personal views I'll say only that we probably don't agree about much.

But there'll always be a soft spot for his early achievements - and the unique tone he got from what would have seemed an "inappropriate" guitar for his approach. I guess it's good to see and hear from him now. He looks healthy.

Bottom line, though: if you aren't familiar with that Survival of the Fittest live album from 1970...it's worth checking out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation