On the 'tube

Superglue as guitar finish

came across this. it was really impressive how easy to apply and what great results you get. and how easy it is to fix finish dents afterwards or wooden cracks just by pour more glue on it. and how fast you can finish a guitar body with a solid looking finish...

That's what we used exclusively at Larrivee to fill pits in the high end gloss finishes

Fill , Sand flat with 800-1200 grit on a block, buff, done!

Decades ago, I took my Fender FJ into a local luthier because someone had dropped it onto a concrete floor during an audition and the top had separated from the bout at about the 5:00 point, leaving a 1.5 in split in the wood.

They repaired it, then filled the crack with superglue. Worked a treat. Still is, in fact. I'll take it out of the case and get a pic later tonight (along with the whole, sad, cautionary tale).

Works like a charm filling small cracks and voids and securing knots. Larger voids I fill with epoxy mixed with dye.

Superglue was used to bind wounds in the field in Nam.

Clapton has his maple necks/fingerboards finished with CA,

Clapton has his maple necks/fingerboards finished with CA,

– charlie chitlins

No wonder they call him 'slow hand'

Seriously though, I have used it to repair dents and chips. Drop fill with superglue, leave it set overnight, level it off with the surrounding finish, polish up and you can usually make the dent 'disappear'.

A few years back I was asked to convert a bass to fretless. Without frets, bass strings will tear up a fingerboard, so I finished the fingerboard with superglue. Came up perfectly smooth with a high gloss and rock hard finish.

However the fumes were appalling and if you want to try this, I'd recommend doing it outdoors wearing a breathing mask and eye goggles.

We used to just hit it with zip kicker, sand and buff. Only did 3-6 guitars a day though

My FJ, as promised. Broken in 83 by a fall onto concrete at CBC studios in Vancouver by an ID-10-T who "tested" someone else's instrument while I was down the hall in an interview, then picked up the case after replacing the guitar in it, but forgot to latch it.

Repaired with glue and clamp, then filled with cyanoacrylate and re-buffed. Up close, you can just see the break in the binding at about the 4:30 point on the lower bout. From three feet back- nope.

34 years on, nothing has changed. It still looks good, sounds good and the crack has not returned.

I bashed my Yamaha acoustic on the edge of our kitchen table and left a gash on the top on the area between the soundhole and the bridge. I took it to my luthier friend and he told me I should just fill it with superglue and sand it so I did. The crack hasn't spread and fortunate for me it is located near the bracing so the acoustic tone wasn't affected. You can't really see it in this dark picture.

Can you add amber stain to the glue?

Can you add amber stain to the glue?

– crowbone

StewMac comes to the rescue: Tinted Super Glue

I often use super glue to repair dings and cracks in finishes. It works very well and is fast. Just ventilate well and take care that you don't get any on your fingers or on other parts of the guitar.....
I never tinted super glue myself but I guess it should be possible. I usually tint the wood to the right color and then add glue or lacquer....

Register Sign in to join the conversation