On the 'tube

Stray Cats - Original Cool Covers Album

I just heard about this album recently. I love their versions of these classics. I don't believe this was ever released in the USA.

It's a really nice record, very relaxed. They don't seem to have anything to prove.

Brian's guitar sounds quite unusual throughout- reedier and snappier than it often is. Almost like the Space Echo had gone a little holiday.

The masterful reading of 'Trying To Get To You' is one of many highlights.

I've had the Japanese import CD for years. Always enjoyed listening to it.

Wonder what amp and guitar he was using on this? Maybe the Gibson ES 295 in the cover photo? Where's Tavo when you need him? Someone shine the Nocturne signal in the sky!

Knock knock, anyone there? I guess Tavo is smoochin' with the teenagers since we got that dang new fangled social media thing.

Anyone got any clues about the gear on this record?

I'll have to check to see where it was recorded. If it was recorded in England, there's a good chance the amp was a Vox. But I'm only guessing.

I have this cd and love the Stray Cats but have mixed feelings about this one. I couldn't really get used to how the album sounds. To me it sounded somewhat uninspired or generic, like they broke up the band but still had a contract to put another album out or something. I don't mind a cover album and do like most of the songs on the record so that's not the issue. There are some cool Setzer licks here and there as I recall. I guess I should give it another listen, it's been years since I listened to this one. Guess I was hoping on a more 'Choo Choo Hot Fish' vibe since it came out after that album, and that one sounds fantastic.

Details from the cd-inlay:

Producers: Stray Cats and Jeff Skunk Baxter

Recorded at Virgin Convent Studios, Los Angeles

To me it sounded somewhat uninspired or generic, like they broke up the band but still had a contract to put another album out or something.

That might actually be the case if I remember correctly!

I have to agree with you, Mike. I like the songs but I always disliked the sterile, bright, somehow "cold" sound.

It sounds to me like they are having fun. It also sounds like it's basically a live album in the studio. There are some overdubs but not many. The more I listen to this album the more I like it. I'm even starting to like some of the Stray Cats versions better than the originals.

I hear a few different guitars in here. On Twenty Flight Rock it definitely sounds like he's playing a 6120. On Blue Jean Bop it sounds like he's playing his Silver Jet. I'm thinking I hear P90s on Trying To Get To You so that could be the Gibson on the cover.

They don't have this album on Spotify though. It makes me think they wrote it off. They shouldn't.

I like it partially. The pedal steel solo on „Can‘t help falling in love“ is cool, wait, the whole interpretation sounds originally cool to me.

Knock knock, anyone there? I guess Tavo is smoochin' with the teenagers since we got that dang new fangled social media thing.

Anyone got any clues about the gear on this record?

– Vince_Ray

Coupla things happening on that recording period.. Jeffrey Skunk Baxter from doobie brothers hippie world was intermingling w the stray cats (remember this was neo-rockabilly, not authentic Brando'billy) and the MTV world was just a hot pot of music from a wide swathe of goodness. Jeff sat in w the stray cats for the MTV rockin 1983 new years eve show. They were buds.. Jeff ends up producing, engineering and playing on this album.

One can suspect that Brian could have used his same rig he used for the MTV show? maybe not there was a decade of space between the two.. It was his 63' bassman head and cab and an EHX memory man. Brian at that point(83') was not only pre-space echo but also dancing w a Boss Analog delay, and running into the Bass channel of that amp which has an extra gain stage that the normal channel does not. Brian moved over to the 6G6-B's normal channel once he started using the RE-301 Space Echo (and oft times his blonde 6G15 reverb tank).

Toward the end of the Stray Cats in general, Brian did have both the RE-301 and fender reverb tank on stage. I dont know if they were in series or switched A-B style. I've never really found anything on what Jeff was using in the studio but he favored an Akai 12 track there post doobies? If Setzer did set up his rig sans space echo (which I doubt, because he and that thing do not go anywhere without eachother) it would lend the sound towards a gretsch into a bass channel of a blonde w an echo pedal.

Side note: Setzer was doing his own thing and had that Gib ES-295 w a silverface Twin between Stray Cat breakups, who knows maybe that got used?? He was sporting that twin in the "boulevard of broken dreams" and the tone (another rabbit hole) there was decidedly different. scroll to 2:39

on letterman w that same twin w paul rogers, scroll to 2:01

here he is w Robert Plant and the Honeydrippers on SNL. scroll to 1:48 for the gib and twin

Brian Also did some solo work w a brownface concert, here it is w Honeydrippers again

Heres a clip of Brian playin with the producer of the record

I kinda like "Original Cool" though its not their best sounding record IMHO. But way better than "Lets go faster" which is awful...

Even Brian can’t resist other guitars...I‘ve heard he’s playin’ a strat on the album ‚Rock Therapy‘. Maybe Tavo knows more?

Register Sign in to join the conversation