On the 'tube

Stray Cats “40” new Song - Cat Fight

Awesome. Cant wait to get the record in May

That was cool! Thanks for sharing.

I like the raw sounding-straight to the point-vibe. The last new song (15 years ago!) "Mystery Train kept a rolling" was a little bit overdone IMHO

Heads up to all record collectors out there. There will be a special record store day (13.4.2019) release of the stray cats with 2 new tracks of the forthcoming album (release day 24.5.2019) - on a pic 12" LP

https://recordstoreday.com/...

That sounds pretty familiar and somehow boring, but that’s just me...

– Stefan

....and me. And where's the bass (in the mix)?

Honestly, I love the Stray Cats. At least I used to. Maybe my hopes were turned too high?

Thought the same about the bass in the mix but I think YouTube compresses too much. I think they still sound like they should or what I was expecting. Rockabilly aint no experimental free jazz - thank god

– Stefan

I kinda feel the same...

It's not that I don't like it and I love the genre and I know it's the style but...

I don't know, is modern rockabilly out of fuel, are the players getting old or is it me?

Rev. Horton Heat's 'Whole New Life' didn't do it for me either.

You guys are nuckin’ futs. I like it. A lot of guitar pickin’ packed into one song. I hear the bass just fine. Stop listening with shit speakers.

I'm not overthinking it, and I like it a lot!

– Stefan

I concur. For me it's the subject matter as well. Having played in a rockabilly band as my first band experience I will say that this is exactly what rockabilly is. Party! Girls! Motorcycles! Rumbles! 50s cars! More Girls! Thematically it is generally very limited and often musically as well. It was innovative in the 50s when it was spawned, and reinvigorated in the 80s when the world needed some raw grit and yahoo, but can really only go so far before it hits the walls of it's own defining characteristics.

I think the idea is not too expect too much and have fun. Like Hellbilly said, "he's not overthinking it"

Great playing and nice guitar sounds or course!

The playing is fine, the lyrics are not on par, compared to some old Chuck Berry lyrics this just sounds like filler stuff for the music.

On my asshole-rig (read: expensive) there's no lack of bass. Won't comment on the song as I was never a real fan of the band.

On my asshole-rig (read: expensive) there's no lack of bass. Won't comment on the song as I was never a real fan of the band.

– fuzzpop

No, the bass is there (even on my fairly cheap NAD stereo), but IMO it sounded more badass back in the day. Could it be Dave Edmunds I'm missing?

I hope my new project sounds as good.

Thought the same about the bass in the mix but I think YouTube compresses too much. I think they still sound like they should or what I was expecting. Rockabilly aint no experimental free jazz - thank god

– ChimingBell

Yeah, lots of familiarities here but that's why we like 'em. No band can touch these cats when they play together.

Fun! Sounds like a Dyna Jet.

Fun! Sounds like a Dyna Jet.

– lx

Cant Imagine that. Beside old BSO Songs, Setzer used a Dyna Jet on Rockabilly Riot No1 (the sun record Songs)

Don't judge sound by what you hear on You Tube. Looking forward to the new release. I am also having a hard time warming up to the newest from Rev Horton Heat...need to give a couple more listens. I think my favorite Rev album is Laughin' and Cryin" With The Reverend Horton Heat from '09. Great playing, great songs and the lyrics are a hoot.

Awesome. Cant wait to get the record in May

– ChimingBell

They were last touring in 2008 as a farewell, here we are 10 yrs later. It was a blessing to catch them together this last April in Las Vegas playing the same stage as Duane Eddie.

Awesome recording studio footage and behind the scene talk!

And there we have the Duo Jet quite prominently

And there we have the Duo Jet quite prominently

– blueflame

Haha yeah thought about your quote when I saw that. Sorry for not believing He even talks with Lee about TVJones pickup magic he had done to it

Register Sign in to join the conversation